Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Mike Dean mentally ill?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Before I begin I want to clarify I am not trivialising or mocking mental health here.

My brother and I pondered this over a few pints Saturday evening. Thinking on it now without lager clouding my mind - the more and more it makes sense. Mike Dean shows classic narcissistic personality traits in the way he behaves on the pitch. He deliberately and consistently makes obvious errors of judgement purely to highlight himself and his own importance. The highlight reel of his antics on Youtube while hilarious also shows his lust for the limelight.

Surely someone at the FA or the Referee's Association (I assume there is one?) has noticed this by now? I can't be the first one. The man needs to be withdrawn from matches and given the help I think he genuinely needs.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Before I begin I want to clarify I am not trivialising or mocking mental health here.

My brother and I pondered this over a few pints Saturday evening. Thinking on it now without lager clouding my mind - the more and more it makes sense. Mike Dean shows classic narcissistic personality traits in the way he behaves on the pitch. He deliberately and consistently makes obvious errors of judgement purely to highlight himself and his own importance. The highlight reel of his antics on Youtube while hilarious also shows his lust for the limelight.

Surely someone at the FA or the Referee's Association (I assume there is one?) has noticed this by now? I can't be the first one. The man needs to be withdrawn from matches and given the help I think he genuinely needs.

yep .....he's either ill or an utter bell end ....either way he's a shyte ref....!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Leave him alone, let him keep up the good work.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
yep .....he's either ill or an utter bell end ....either way he's a shyte ref....!!

Bellendery Syndrome is a well known mental health condition and he's slap bang in the middle of the Bellendery spectrum.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
He's trying to brand himself as a 'character' in order to pursue some sort of media career after he's retired.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He's trying to brand himself as a 'character' in order to pursue some sort of media career after he's retired.

Hit the nail on the head.

He is a total embarrassment to match officials and why the PGMOL allows him to get away with it is certainly baffling

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

My brother and I pondered this over a few pints Saturday evening. Thinking on it now without lager clouding my mind - the more and more it makes sense. The Complete And Utter Shyster shows classic narcissistic personality traits in the way he behaves on the pitch. He deliberately and consistently makes obvious errors of judgement purely to highlight himself and his own importance. The highlight reel of his antics on Youtube while hilarious also shows his lust for the limelight.

I genuinely hope this is the case. That he's doing this shit on purpose. Because the opposite means that not only is one of our 'elite' referees beyond useless but, more than that, nobody in a position of authority has had the good graces to do anything about it.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
That’s why he is stuck on 99 Red Cards, he knows it gets mentioned every game he refs and as soon as he flourishes his next red he will be yesterday’s news and out of the spotlight.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Pathetic and offensive thread.

To degrade someone that they're mentally ill just because they've made some controversial decisions rightly or wrongly in the past doesn't warrant him to be supposedly 'weak' in society.

I despair sometimes on here at how being mentally ill makes you treated like some kind of leper. :down:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

To degrade someone that they're mentally ill just because they've made some controversial decisions rightly or wrongly in the past doesn't warrant him to be supposedly 'weak' in society.

I despair sometimes on here at how being mentally ill makes you treated like some kind of leper. :down:

couldn't agree more, think the OP is still in his alcoholic haze !

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hmmm....to be fair to the OP, narcissistic personality disorder is less something to be derided, pitied or given support to, and more something to be mitigated against, as it informs a lot of antisocial and even criminal behaviour. It is common in ruthless over achievers, as well as the sort of low grade bell ends who are impervious to criticism and mockery and spend half their time winding other people up. I can think of one likely case recently barred from NSC for his relentless pursuit of his own peculiar self-gratification. Nobody is mocking the afflicted here I don't think.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

This is definitely trivializing mental illness. You really have no idea what you are wittering about.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
This thread would have gone down better if you used the term 'histrionic personality disorder' rather than 'mental illness'.

Or if people topk it for what it was and didnt get so precious! And before any easily offended know all asks, yes i do for about 30 years part of what stopped me fron treatment iver the years is this over precious nonsense , ive seen people have "panic attacks" when they get a little hyperventalated, i cant stand up, lose my vision, vomit and suffer paralyse at no point did this thread offend me

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Hmmm....to be fair to the OP, narcissistic personality disorder is less something to be derided, pitied or given support to, and more something to be mitigated against, as it informs a lot of antisocial and even criminal behaviour. It is common in ruthless over achievers, as well as the sort of low grade bell ends who are impervious to criticism and mockery and spend half their time winding other people up. I can think of one likely case recently barred from NSC for his relentless pursuit of his own peculiar self-gratification. Nobody is mocking the afflicted here I don't think.

It's a typecast mental disorder that the sufferer may not know they have it. Subconciously, M.Dean may think he's the best referee, full of his own self-importance and that is only added to when he referees the top matches. Maybe he had a difficult childhood or has wanted to reach the top and now he has he maybe belittles other referees but there's a strong chance that he's had severe depression in his life.

I hate admitting to myself that I've got mental health problems but just carrying on with everything will get me nowhere so I'm having counselling. To be honest, this year so far has been absolute shit. Nothing is going well - no girlfriend, no confidence, poor health, not much money (given up gambling as I've lost far more than I've won in the first couple of months). There's people that are a lot worse off though and I have to be grateful in a lot of ways.

Yes, I reacted badly to the headline thread but everyone sees that and the stigma of mental health is still a delicate matter. Maybe I got a bit 'precious' but the OP showed a lack of compassion of what absolutely anyone can go through. I know I'm in a dark place at the moment but admitting it and fighting the battles everyday is progress. In almost ten years on NSC I've never reacted as badly as I did when someone was using mental health problems for someone that we see as a pantomime villain.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It's a typecast mental disorder that the sufferer may not know they have it. Subconciously, M.Dean may think he's the best referee, full of his own self-importance and that is only added to when he referees the top matches. Maybe he had a difficult childhood or has wanted to reach the top and now he has he maybe belittles other referees but there's a strong chance that he's had severe depression in his life.

I hate admitting to myself that I've got mental health problems but just carrying on with everything will get me nowhere so I'm having counselling. To be honest, this year so far has been absolute shit. Nothing is going well - no girlfriend, no confidence, poor health, not much money (given up gambling as I've lost far more than I've won in the first couple of months). There's people that are a lot worse off though and I have to be grateful in a lot of ways.

Yes, I reacted badly to the headline thread but everyone sees that and the stigma of mental health is still a delicate matter. Maybe I got a bit 'precious' but the OP showed a lack of compassion of what absolutely anyone can go through. I know I'm in a dark place at the moment but admitting it and fighting the battles everyday is progress. In almost ten years on NSC I've never reacted as badly as I did when someone was using mental health problems for someone that we see as a pantomime villain.

Seems like the OP was having a (not so clever) dig at our pantomine villain, something I’m sure he now regrets.

Most on here thankfully don’t really understand mental health problems but have sympathy and admiration of those who face up to it. Yes you may have had a shit year so far but balance it with some positives. You’ve stopped the rot, are beating your gambling addiction, have discovered hundreds of supportive friends on here, came through a dark and frightening period regarding your health and support the best club in the world who also offer help.

Chin up mate, it’s Palace on Saturday !!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here