Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Clash Appreciation Thread

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Listening to Janie Jones for a second time.

Very enjoyable.

Apologies for naivety but presumably you're happy for a chance to spread the word.... How much overlap is there considered to be between the music of The Clash and that of The Jam in 1977....?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Track 2: Remote Control

"The song was written by Mick Jones after the disastrous Anarchy Tour and contains pointed observations about the civic hall bureaucrats who had cancelled concerts, the police, big business and especially record companies. The song mentions a 'meeting in Mayfair' which probably refers to one held by EMI's shareholders on 7 December 1976, which effectively withdrew all support for the Anarchy Tour. Also alluded to in the song are the 'old-boy' peerage networks and hapless politicians."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’d suggest starting in order. The Clash, Give Em Enough Rope, London Calling (a double) , Sandinista (a sprawling triple) and Combat Rock. I’m not sure any other order will work as they encompass so many styles and you can here their progression and growth this way.

Quite. I revisited them last year and find a great deal to enjoy. Sandinista is probably my favourite (great guest appearances from Michael Campbell and the folk singer whose name momentarily escapes me).

I was lucky enough to see them in Brighton, with a guest appearance from Pete Townshend, and amazing support by the Scritti Politti version 1.0. That was 'London Calling' era.

My feelings about the records are that the first album was extraordinary, but was pressed badly and jumped. The number of times I went mental to White Riot at the Basement and other venues in 77 is incalculable. The second album has two of the best ever tracks to start any album (Safe European Home and English Civil War) but is othewise is a disappointment. London Calling starts with another classic but is patchy. My favourite tracks are the more fey efforts from Mick Jones. Sandinista I only listened to in full last year when I bought the CD. There were one or two tracks I had on tape from back in the day that I loved, and I find the album extremely pleasing. It is very much a Mick Jones effort. Combat Rock has probably my favourite Clash song on it (Straight to Hell). Strummer has more presence on this album, but again it is patchy.

For me The Clash had personal resonance in 1977 and 1978. But they were never my favourite band even then. I find Attila's 'commodante Joe' hero worship a bit cringeworthy and the idea that Strummer released a nation of spotty boys from the servitude and boredom of a dull world rather fanciful. The Clash were just one of several bands of interest at the time. There was an alternative scene in Brighton that was live and real in 76 and 77, and hero worshipping Strummer would have been on a par with drooling over Dylan. I don't think the Clash had anything coherent to offer, politically, other than art school style 'protest', and what was undeniably great fun at the time should not be regarded as a Clash-driven revolution; no rose tinted retrospectoscope gives me that picture. But.....the Clash were amazing for a while, and have a great set of work to their name. That is enough for me.

My son went to college with Topper Headon's son. I have the first album on vinyl singed by Joe Strummer (I had lent the album to a mate who bumped into Strummer on Fulham Broadway when he was returning the album). The failure of Strummer and Jones to reunite after the split may be as big a loss to music as the failure of Morrissy and Marr to work together again. Boys, eh?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This sounds like good advice. Just looked at "The Clash" and realised I have heard it before and recognise several of the tracks. Is this considered their "best" album?

London Calling is my favourite but I would not argue against The Clash.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, and let’s not forget White Man in Hammersmith Palais which was a stand alone 7”

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Missed out on seeing the clash but spart of the soundtrack to my youth. Have seen various Clash tribute bands over the years just to get that sense of pure in your face rock.
Check out The 101ers to see why they wanted Strummer to front the band.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How much overlap is there considered to be between the music of The Clash and that of The Jam in 1977....?

Very little. I actually saw the Jam at the Embassy Cinema on Western road in 77. They had the same energy as The Clash and Dr Feelgood but they were a mod band. Not that the (punk) audience cared. To be honest the Jam were treated with a bit of suspicion (it was extremely tribal back then) ny some because they were not from actual London, and failed to trot out the 'anarchy' psycobabbel (Weller made some comment in Sounds about possibly voting Conservative at the time, which raised eyebrows). Ironically, aside from the first album, The Clash were really a rock band. There, I said it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Missed out on seeing the clash but spart of the soundtrack to my youth. Have seen various Clash tribute bands over the years just to get that sense of pure in your face rock.
Check out The 101ers to see why they wanted Strummer to front the band.

I have the 101ers single in picture sleve. I worked with someone who worked with Woody Mellor (pick and shovel guitar). The 101ers were great.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Can't get past "Working For The Clampdown" myself as a Clash favourite, although every time I hear Sandanista my favourite track on it changes. Still remember that all the vinyl copies of that triple album had £5.99 printed on the sleeve - another reason to admire the band and everything they stood for. I was lucky enough to see Joe Strummer's final gig on the old Hastings pier and he still had that potent mix of righteous anger, energy and lyricism.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Very little. I actually saw the Jam at the Embassy Cinema on Western road in 77. They had the same energy as The Clash and Dr Feelgood but they were a mod band. Not that the (punk) audience cared. To be honest the Jam were treated with a bit of suspicion (it was extremely tribal back then) by some because they were not from actual London, and failed to trot out the 'anarchy' psycobabbel (Weller made some comment in Sounds about possibly voting Conservative at the time, which raised eyebrows). Ironically, aside from the first album, The Clash were really a rock band. There, I said it.
Thanks - interesting stuff. The musical overlap I was guessing at related to similarities in energy/tempo and use of instruments but I guess that is very simplistic.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
As a live act they were hard to beat. I was at the Top Rank in 1979 same as (but not with) HWT and also went to the Brixton Academy in 1982 on the Combat Rock tour (supported by Tenpole Tudor).

Bought The Clash soon after it came out without hearing anything just because it "looked punk".

Some days I would say Give 'em enough rope is the best album, other days it's London calling. Neither has a bad track.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I am quite impressed that a few of you have "listened" to Sandinista, I am not sure I ever got to putting side 3 on the turntable..I found it hard work if I am honest.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sometimes overlooked, but The Clash are due huge credit for turning a lot of punk kids on to less commercially known reggae artists like Mikey Dread and Junior Murvin. Their feel for the music and the feeling behind it was instinctive.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm terribly ignorant about The Clash. Love The Jam's early stuff - and their later stuff - but somehow missed out on The Clash.

This thread will inspire me to explore. Recommendations for where to start please (should my favourite album be "The Best of The Clash"...?)

The first album ( The Clash ) is my favourite, but I can also recommend The Essential Clash, I've got this double CD album, full of decent tracks.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Quite. I revisited them last year and find a great deal to enjoy. Sandinista is probably my favourite (great guest appearances from Michael Campbell and the folk singer whose name momentarily escapes me).

I was lucky enough to see them in Brighton, with a guest appearance from Pete Townshend, and amazing support by the Scritti Politti version 1.0. That was 'London Calling' era.

My feelings about the records are that the first album was extraordinary, but was pressed badly and jumped. The number of times I went mental to White Riot at the Basement and other venues in 77 is incalculable. The second album has two of the best ever tracks to start any album (Safe European Home and English Civil War) but is othewise is a disappointment. London Calling starts with another classic but is patchy. My favourite tracks are the more fey efforts from Mick Jones. Sandinista I only listened to in full last year when I bought the CD. There were one or two tracks I had on tape from back in the day that I loved, and I find the album extremely pleasing. It is very much a Mick Jones effort. Combat Rock has probably my favourite Clash song on it (Straight to Hell). Strummer has more presence on this album, but again it is patchy.

For me The Clash had personal resonance in 1977 and 1978. But they were never my favourite band even then. I find Attila's 'commodante Joe' hero worship a bit cringeworthy and the idea that Strummer released a nation of spotty boys from the servitude and boredom of a dull world rather fanciful. The Clash were just one of several bands of interest at the time. There was an alternative scene in Brighton that was live and real in 76 and 77, and hero worshipping Strummer would have been on a par with drooling over Dylan. I don't think the Clash had anything coherent to offer, politically, other than art school style 'protest', and what was undeniably great fun at the time should not be regarded as a Clash-driven revolution; no rose tinted retrospectoscope gives me that picture. But.....the Clash were amazing for a while, and have a great set of work to their name. That is enough for me.

My son went to college with Topper Headon's son. I have the first album on vinyl singed by Joe Strummer (I had lent the album to a mate who bumped into Strummer on Fulham Broadway when he was returning the album). The failure of Strummer and Jones to reunite after the split may be as big a loss to music as the failure of Morrissy and Marr to work together again. Boys, eh?

Another one that was at the gig where Pete Townshend joined them on stage. I was fortunate to seen them quiet a few times also, and they never disappointed.

In terms of Jones and Strummer getting back together, it may have been on the cards, as Mick did join Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros on stage for a few numbers at Acton Town Hall at a benefit for striking firefighters (I have a bootleg of the set) in November 2002, which unfortunately was only a month before Joe's early death.

Maybe they may have got back together if Joe had lived longer. Certainly the fall out and sacking of Mick from the group brought an end to the group when they clearly had more to offer and to build on from Combat Rock.

It certainly knocked Joe, as he didn't release too much of any note until 1999s Rock Art and the X-Ray Style.

My copy of The Clash on vinyl never jumped, but certainly in the 70s the vinyl was very thin, and not as great as the 180g currently offered.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Still my favouite band. Whilst never fully subscribing to their Revolution Rock posturing, they certainly politicized me and made we think about music having then potential to change an influence.

The bouncers at the Top Rank in Jan '80 would not let me in (under 18) so missed Townsend playing with them, but did see them at the Centre a couple of years later (and got backstage to meet them, albeit briefly). Best live band I ever saw, only the Jam really coming close in terms of energy.

White Man is my favourite song, and The Clash my favourite Album, but their body of work is so eclectic and wide ranging, it's not surprising that there are such differences in opinion.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hate to disappoint you but I think Mick played all the bass on the recording of the first Clash album. No one ever looked cooler with a bass than Simonon though.

I can't find out anything on this, I'm sure Paul was the bass player from the start.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Great, great band and an inspiration for many bands that followed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Funnily enough I drove the the Hudderfield game last week listening to the "London Calling" album. I find the best music to get me revved up for the match is usually Jam / Clash / Pistols.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here