Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Clash Appreciation Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve been re-visiting all their albums, apart from that last one, in order over the past couple of days. They’re some band, and very unique in many ways, with so many classic songs in various styles. Sadly I never got to see them live.

This is all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve been re-visiting all their albums, apart from that last one, in order over the past couple of days. They’re some band, and very unique in many ways, with so many classic songs in various styles. Sadly I never got to see them live.

This is all.

In my younger days never appreciated how good Paul Simonon is on bass. Right from the off on Janie Jones, he's driving everything.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My favourite band of that time.

Somebody Got Murdered is one of the best songs ever recorded.

I mean, 99% of their output was tremendous but for me Janie Jones, SGM, career opportunities and Lost In The Supermarket just get me right by the balls.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

This is all.

Go back to that as well and listen to This is England and 3 card trick...forget the awful production and take in the lyrics. IMO 2 really good songs.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm terribly ignorant about The Clash. Love The Jam's early stuff - and their later stuff - but somehow missed out on The Clash.

This thread will inspire me to explore. Recommendations for where to start please (should my favourite album be "The Best of The Clash"...?)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm terribly ignorant about The Clash. Love The Jam's early stuff - and their later stuff - but somehow missed out on The Clash.

This thread will inspire me to explore. Recommendations for where to start please (should my favourite album be "The Best of The Clash"...?)

Can't think of a better place to start than Complete Control for a taste of the raw dynamic power of the band

Cracking vid includes some superb 70's footage incl their magnificent appearance at the Rock Against Racism festival at Victoria Park, Hackney in 1978.

Joe Strummer RIP

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Fond memories of seeing them at the 'Southall kids are innocent' RAR gig at the Rainbow in 1979. The place was rocking.

Me and my mate missed the last train back to Tonbridge, where I was living at the time. Managed to buy a couple of tickets off a tout to the midnight showing of Moonraker at the Leicester Square Odeon. Spent the rest of the night on the concourse of Waterloo station fending off the winos, tramps and various strange 'night people', waiting for the first train out the next morning.

I was 17 at the time. That's what your teenage years are supposed to be about.

Happy days.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

In terms of compilations I would start with Hits Back, the tracklisting is based on Joe's setlist from The Casbah Club UK Tour, Brixton Fairdeal, 10 July 1982

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Clash were everything that was best about punk. Nobody else came even close.

Not even The Damned or Stiff Little Fingers? (or the Buzzcocks? Only kidding folks!)

Gotta admit they were really good and put on a great live show. Love "Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad".

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Give 'Em Enough Rope (IMO)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’d suggest starting in order. The Clash, Give Em Enough Rope, London Calling (a double) , Sandinista (a sprawling triple) and Combat Rock. I’m not sure any other order will work as they encompass so many styles and you can here their progression and growth this way.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Can't think of a better place to start than Complete Control for a taste of the raw dynamic power of the band

Cracking vid includes some superb 70's footage incl their magnificent appearance at the Rock Against Racism festival at Victoria Park, Hackney in 1978.

Joe Strummer RIP
Great video footage. Enjoyed elements of the music without thinking I'd love to listen to a lot more of it. An obvious point to make, but the experience of being at one of their gigs (or watching footage of them performing live) seems to far outweigh the pleasure of listening to a recording. Much more so than for other bands or types of music?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I’d suggest starting in order. The Clash, Give Em Enough Rope, London Calling (a double) , Sandinista (a sprawling triple) and Combat Rock. I’m not sure any other order will work as they encompass so many styles and you can here their progression and growth this way.
This sounds like good advice. Just looked at "The Clash" and realised I have heard it before and recognise several of the tracks. Is this considered their "best" album?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Yes, chronologically is the way

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just starting on "The Clash".

Track 1: Janie Jones

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"The subject of the song, Janie Jones, was a famous madam in London during the 1970s and had been a pop singer during the 1960s."

"Martin Scorsese, a fan of The Clash, said that he considers "Janie Jones" to be the greatest British rock and roll song. He used the song in the film Bringing Out the Dead."

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
In my younger days never appreciated how good Paul Simonon is on bass. Right from the off on Janie Jones, he's driving everything.

Hate to disappoint you but I think Mick played all the bass on the recording of the first Clash album. No one ever looked cooler with a bass than Simonon though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here