Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] UEFA CL March 5/6 knockout stages.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Porto seemingly through with an extra time VAR pen.

Good decision that one. Don’t understand why the player felt the need to take his shirt off in celebrating scoring the pen to show off his white vest, don’t think there was anything written on it. Needless booking that might cost him in future games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Also bringing on a 17 year old academy player with 5 mins to go.

Mason Greenwood - the very same player who started in January's Youth Cup match against the Albion youngsters.

Fair play to United and OGS. Regardless of one decision, they deserve all the plaudits after a comeback like that with injuries and suspensions.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Seems like one or two posters on here still haven't recovered from 1983...

Recovered from being pelted with sharpened coins throughout the match or seeing the old fella near me, who'd probably watched Brighton all his life and never thought he'd see them in the cup final, intimidated and threatened by the United thugs who'd managed to get tickets for our end? No, not yet.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Mason Greenwood - the very same player who started in January's Youth Cup match against the Albion youngsters.

Fair play to United and OGS. Regardless of one decision, they deserve all the plaudits after a comeback like that with injuries and suspensions.

Quite. Never a penalty but what OGS is doing is so impressive. The whole “we are United” confidence thing he has instilled in all the players is quite something.

I never thought I’d say this but I do enjoy watching United these days. There’s something quite fun about them.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Goddamn it, don't tell anyone, especially their tourist fans, but I'm seeing a tiny chink of light in my hatred of man utd. The most likable of the big 6 at the moment, not that that is saying much. I'm betting this ailment will pass soon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm indifferent to United - they happen to be the biggest club in my country so it's funny when they lose usually.

But there is nothing to like about this PSG team. Chock full of tw4ts and flat track bullies who are all so blatantly all about their egos. It was an absolute delight to see that happen to them last night.

That said, the authorities really do need to resolve two things, and urgently. 1) How to use VAR. It ought to be a good thing, but currently it's not being used well enough. 2) How to define a handball in the penalty area. The defender shouldn't have turned his back I suppose but that isn't a reason enough to award a penalty there. It's hammered at him from two yards away FFS, and his arm was in a perfectly normal position. Now maybe everyone should know that a penalty will always be given in those circumstances but I really don't think it should be. What's worse, plenty of refs wouldn't have given it I'm sure. That's what needs to be standardised.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm indifferent to United - they happen to be the biggest club in my country so it's funny when they lose usually.

But there is nothing to like about this PSG team. Chock full of tw4ts and flat track bullies who are all so blatantly all about their egos. It was an absolute delight to see that happen to them last night.

That said, the authorities really do need to resolve two things, and urgently. 1) How to use VAR. It ought to be a good thing, but currently it's not being used well enough. 2) How to define a handball in the penalty area. The defender shouldn't have turned his back I suppose but that isn't a reason enough to award a penalty there. It's hammered at him from two yards away FFS, and his arm was in a perfectly normal position. Now maybe everyone should know that a penalty will always be given in those circumstances but I really don't think it should be. What's worse, plenty of refs wouldn't have given it I'm sure. That's what needs to be standardised.

If that is the bench mark for a penalty in the new VAR era we will have forwards looking for the arm in the box.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If that is the bench mark for a penalty in the new VAR era we will have forwards looking for the arm in the box.
Agreed. It's not fair to blame all of this on VAR though. I actually think VAR will see more goals scored. I got tired of seeing superb forward runs pulled back for incorrect offside decisions, then brushed under the carpet by commentators as if it didn't matter. Nowadays, any doubt and the flag stays down knowing we have VAR to fall back on, it's great. But the flip side is the lack of clarity over handball in the penalty box. Previously a ref might wave that away as "you can't ask for a pen there, you've hit it at him from point blank range!" and the forward slopes off. Now though, it's very different and the only way it is going to be addressed is for law makers to clearly define what constitutes handball in the penalty box.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Agreed. It's not fair to blame all of this on VAR though. I actually think VAR will see more goals scored. I got tired of seeing superb forward runs pulled back for incorrect offside decisions, then brushed under the carpet by commentators as if it didn't matter. Nowadays, any doubt and the flag stays down knowing we have VAR to fall back on, it's great. But the flip side is the lack of clarity over handball in the penalty box. Previously a ref might wave that away as "you can't ask for a pen there, you've hit it at him from point blank range!" and the forward slopes off. Now though, it's very different and the only way it is going to be addressed is for law makers to clearly define what constitutes handball in the penalty box.

I don't think it is currently working with offsides - I thought the flag was meant to stay down (unless its obvious) if it was a break away 1 on 1 and then we go back to view.

I have seen close calls being stopped rather than let play carry on.

Maybe I have misunderstood the rule.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think it is currently working with offsides - I thought the flag was meant to stay down (unless its obvious) if it was a break away 1 on 1 and then we go back to view.

I have seen close calls being stopped rather than let play carry on.

Maybe I have misunderstood the rule.
I think you have understood the rule but if what you're saying is right, it's not being applied as it should be. In fairness, it was applied very well with offsides last night in Paris. Mbappe was clearly offside 2 or 3 times and the flag stayed down a good few seconds after it happened, which is the directive.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
With VAR coming in they need to refine some of the rules.The obvious two for me are offside and handball.

Giving offside when it looks to the human eye that a player is level, but VAR proves that his knee was 2mm in front of the defender, will ruin the game. For VAR matches I would reverse the ruling in a "line belongs to the umpire" style - if any part of the player is onside then they're ok.

They need to have clear rules on what constitutes deliberate handball. At the moment nobody has a clue whether they should be given or not. As [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] says, it won't be long before forwards work out how to flick the ball against a defenders hand.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It wasn’t VARs fault, it’s ambiguous rules.

I thought it was very interesting on BT Sport last night when they all pointed out no explayer thought it was a penalty but every official thought it was.

That can’t be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think you have understood the rule but if what you're saying is right, it's not being applied as it should be. In fairness, it was applied very well with offsides last night in Paris. Mbappe was clearly offside 2 or 3 times and the flag stayed down a good few seconds after it happened, which is the directive.

A quick Google says the ref and Linesman last night all took part in the World Cup, which would explain why they may have been better at it than others.

I have a horrible feeling next season will be a complete mess in the PL.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Far from a Man Utd fan, but wouldn't it be great if they win the Champions League and Liverpool win f'all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here