Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bolton home game against Millwall in doubt

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's the staff who I feel sorry for. This shit has been dragging on forever and it still feels like delaying the inevitable.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I just don't understand how this is happening. Bolton Council wrote off loads of debt on the stadium and then £172m of debt was written off about three years ago.

Since then, the club has achieved promotion - which would have meant money coming in. And yet, they owe money left, right and centre. How the hell can they be in such trouble so quickly?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I just don't understand how this is happening. Bolton Council wrote off loads of debt on the stadium and then £172m of debt was written off about three years ago.

Since then, the club has achieved promotion - which would have meant money coming in. And yet, they owe money left, right and centre. How the hell can they be in such trouble so quickly?
I don't know about recent stuff but they've been ruined by greedy thieves for years.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yet they were one of the clubs wanting a closed shop to the PL and stopping the likes of us going up
That was Gartside and his agent pals not wanting to lose their golden goose.

A good mate of mine at the time was Bolton and I read quite a bit about how the club was run. Disgraceful.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yet they were one of the clubs wanting a closed shop to the PL and stopping the likes of us going up

their chairman was once, is this widely held view of the supporters and the rest of the club?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't know about recent stuff but they've been ruined by greedy thieves for years.

But the owner wasn't greedy. As mentioned earlier, he wrote off £172m debt - that's scarcely greed!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They are in deep trouble. May not finish the season.

An adjusted table would favour West Brom and especially Birmingham at the top.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Eh?

Eddie Davies bankrolled the club for years, taking over in the early-2000s and pumped in the best part of £200m, all of which he wrote off. I've said it on here many times - he was very much Bolton's Tony Bloom - a local chap who did well for himself and used his wealth to support the local football club.

Given what Davies did for Bolton, it's sad how it's all unravelled again for them, and I'm not entirely sure how it has.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Truly sad and you have to feel for the previous chairman who saved them from administration 4 days before his death. Reading about the current chairman there is more than a parallel of our own previous struggles.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Eh?

Eddie Davies bankrolled the club for years, taking over in the early-2000s and pumped in the best part of £200m, all of which he wrote off. I've said it on here many times - he was very much Bolton's Tony Bloom - a local chap who did well for himself and used his wealth to support the local football club.

Given what Davies did for Bolton, it's sad how it's all unravelled again for them, and I'm not entirely sure how it has.

Yes indeed. As mentioned ED was the one being ripped off for his love of the club. A lot of people got rich because of him. A lot of money that could have been spent far more sensibly on the long term health of the club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They've got until 1pm tomorrow...

Bolton Wanderers Football Club has been given 24 hours to prove it can meet the legal conditions of its ground's safety certificate.

If acceptable assurances aren't received by 1pm on Wednesday, Bolton council said it would be 'legally forced' to issue a probation notice on the University of Bolton Stadium, previously known as the Reebok Stadium.

Enforcement would put Wanderers' crucial game against Millwall this Saturday at risk of cancellation.

In response the club said it has provided 'written assurances', but didn't elaborate further.

The alarming development comes amid reports of staff and players not being paid and a continuing takeover saga.

An urgent meeting was held today amid concerns the club might not be able to provide sufficient stewards or medical and emergency response cover for upcoming home fixtures, the council said.​

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...wanderers-safety-certificate-stadium-15926092

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I wonder what Bolton Ra Ra makes of it? Hopefully he'll be on here to shed more light on what's happening up there.

And thank God my parents moved south before I was born as I was conceived in Bolton! I can't imagine anything more depressing than being a Wanderers fan at the moment.

The football was awful under Big Sam although they won a League Cup in 2004. Since they dropped out of the PL it's been pretty grim for them. Where has Zach Clough disappeared to? He was brilliant when they were in League One - says a lot though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The football was awful under Big Sam although they won a League Cup in 2004.

It certainly wasn't; they played some really attractive football back in the day. Okacha, Djorkaeff, Campo, Hierro, Stelios, Anelka, Speed etc - they had some players who could play a bit

Sad to see what they've become

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here