Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Leaving Neverland- Michael Jackson documentary

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Channel 4, Wednesday evening. Features lengthy interviews with two men who claim they were abused as children by Michael Jackson. He's been accused previously of course, but both of these two previously swore in his criminal trial that he didn't touch them. Now older, and with families of their own, both have retracted their original statements.

Is this the crumbling of the Jackson cult? It'll be interesting to see how people react to it in terms of his music (if they believe the allegations of course). Few people openly admit listening to Gary Glitter these days, but then he was nowhere near as globally popular nor influential as Jackson.

Jackson's trial was one of the most ridiculous legal spectacles I think I can remember. That bloke releasing the doves.... :rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You don’t hear much Jonathan King music these days either :smile:

I was never a big fan of Michael Jackson but always felt a little sorry for him because of the way his father allegedly treated him as a kid. I think it ****ed him up for life.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I listened to Nihal Arthanayake interviewing Dan Reed, who directed this, on Five Live the other day. The programme is available as a podcast, part of the 'Must Watch' series, and is a must listen.

I will certainly be watching. Like many, I have never believed that Jackson was innocent, and have found it disturbing that his reputation has been in no way tarnished whilst others have been outed for their despicable behaviour.

This should change that.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
This was on HBO last night in the States - worth watching

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Jackson's trial was one of the most ridiculous legal spectacles I think I can remember. That bloke releasing the doves.... :rolleyes:

This is just typical of USA court/celebrity trials.
They love to make a drama out of things, even though the actual trial subject gets drowned out by the 'dove' thing.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I listened to Nihal Arthanayake interviewing Dan Reed, who directed this, on Five Live the other day. The programme is available as a podcast, part of the 'Must Watch' series, and is a must listen.

I will certainly be watching. Like many, I have never believed that Jackson was innocent, and have found it disturbing that his reputation has been in no way tarnished whilst others have been outed for their despicable behaviour.

This should change that.

I think the thing for me was the total willingness of many people to accept the Jackson side's argument that his behaviour could be explained by the fact that he was just a fragile, sweet Peter Pan sort of figure. There was never any denial on his part that those kids were sleeping in his bed, but even their parents (not to mention his hangers on) seemed perfectly happy to put it down to his supposed boy-who-never-grew-up personality.

Imagine your 40 something next door neighbour asks your nine year old son to stay overnight, and then tells you they're going to be sharing a bed, because he's just "childlike". Is anybody going to go "Yeah, go for it: but no fizzy drinks after 8pm!"?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think the thing for me was the total willingness of many people to accept the Jackson side's argument that his behaviour could be explained by the fact that he was just a fragile, sweet Peter Pan sort of figure. There was never any denial on his part that those kids were sleeping in his bed, but even their parents (not to mention his hangers on) seemed perfectly happy to put it down to his supposed boy-who-never-grew-up personality.

Imagine your 40 something next door neighbour asks your nine year old son to stay overnight, and then tells you they're going to be sharing a bed, because he's just "childlike". Is anybody going to go "Yeah, go for it: but no fizzy drinks after 8pm!"?

Exactly. Utterly ludicrous.

Being unimaginably wealthy and famous seems to give you a power that your 40 year old neighbour couldn't attain.

I wonder why that may be.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Jackson family have spoken about this.

One theory that could be true is that both subjects have now run out of the hush money Jackson paid them and want some more - so have agreed to the documentary.

Whether Jackson did what is being suggested or not, I’m uncomfortable that hush money could have made the allegations go away originally.

On another note, should we still be listening to his great music? No one plays Glitter anymore.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

Sounds like the plot to abducted in plain sight.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I don't know whether he was a paedophile or not, but having a funfair in his garden would be a good way to attract kids if he was.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know whether he was a paedophile or not, but having a funfair in his garden would be a good way to attract kids if he was.

The trial of Barry Bennell mentioned he lived in a house full of arcade games, videos, martial arts gear, sweets....and, by enormous coincidence, a pet monkey....

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I'm sure the documentary will summarily find Jackson guilty of all charges. After all he's not around to put his side now is he? Yet there is still a nice fat legacy fund to be attacked. Funny that

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure the documentary will summarily find Jackson guilty of all charges. After all he's not around to put his side now is he? Yet there is still a nice fat legacy fund to be attacked. Funny that

What's your view on Jimmy Savile, out of interest, a man who was also never convicted of any offences and isn't here to defend himself...?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
What's your view on Jimmy Savile, out of interest, a man who was also never convicted of any offences and isn't here to defend himself...?
Different case altogether. The police were pretty complicit in keeping it quiet and most of the people coming out after his death were after nothing but the truth.

Don't get me wrong, I am no Jackson sympathiser and the guy was totally strange. I don't doubt that he did commit crimes that didn't get a full airing but from what I've seen of this it seems to be less a search for the truth and more like setting up a compo claim. Especially as the very people saying how bad he was actually defended him at his trial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here