Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Chichester plans to go 'car free' one Sunday a month.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely!

They should have number plates as well; and insurance; and why don't they have to take a test? Always on pavements, through red lights, wrong way on one way streets!! And helmets should be compulsory. Lycra louts riding three abreast. My aunt's friend was knocked over by one of these lunatics, hanging's too good for them!

I saw one of them riding a long drinking from a bottle the other day in the middle of the town. So, we are supposed to drive with our hands on the wheel at all times, and yet they take risks riding along with one hand - sometimes no hands - on the handlebars. It's a small thing, but just shows how utterly reckless the mentality can be.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
In my own way I’ve contributed to Chichester being car free for the last decade. I haven’t wanted to go there.

If I did want to go there though I sure as hell wouldn’t be cycling there because it would take me 3 days.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You sure it's not VED?

yep, and fuel tax and VAT on top. some 3 times more paid in taxes than spent on roads. one day the government will have to shift all that tax over to the green cars, look forward to paying per mile.

bet the cyclists still wont pay anything :whistle:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What is the world coming to! Bloody nanny state full of politically correct mumbo jumbo.

I've got as much right to drive my car in Chichester on a Sunday as I have any other day. I pay my road tax to provide for the roads 7 days a week, not six! Will I be getting a rebate from Chichester Parish Council or whichever bunch of lentils eating buffoons it is that has passed this by-law?

Cyclists don't even pay tax! Will There be a cycle free Sunday when I can drive my car without fear of being mowed down by one of these lycra wearing loons. It cuts both ways you see. I want to see a cycle free Sunday so I can rev the engine and burn some rubber without fear of getting stared at and victimised.

I bloody well do! I pay loads of it! And each year the government asks me to cough up more just so that these people on bikes can go around telling the rest of us what to do.

It's even worse in Chichester, where most of the population are elderly and they get terrorised by these two wheel maniacs. At least they can hear cars coming!!!!

You can call it what you want. We all know what it is and we all know the it's about time cyclists started paying for it as well. I pay my road tax so I can drive where I want, when I want.

People like [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] keep banging on about cycling, but what actual contribution do they make!?

Exactly. How are shops supposed to survive if I can't drive there. Next they'll be having some sort of plastic bag free Saturdays and we'll have to balance all our shopping on heads and arms and whatever just to get it back to the car park!

I saw one of them riding a long drinking from a bottle the other day in the middle of the town. So, we are supposed to drive with our hands on the wheel at all times, and yet they take risks riding along with one hand - sometimes no hands - on the handlebars. It's a small thing, but just shows how utterly reckless the mentality can be.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They've got some funny ideas in Hampshire, that's for sure :rolleyes:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
So if you live in the Centre of Chichester and need a car to get to work on a Sunday, you wont be allowed to drive?

What a stupid idea and legally not sure it can be enforced.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what will this achieve?

I thought that the area within the City walls had limited vehicle access already, and how many road deaths have there been within the city walls arising from speeding cars on a yearly basis.
If people decide to go to Chichester, the car parks are outside of the city walls, and what do the locals do that live within the city walls on a Sunday if they want to drive away from the city.

It just seems to be the usual headline attention grabber, but actually achieves next to nothing.

Because doing feck all is quite literally doing nothing.

It'll take generational change to get people out of their 2 tonne death wagons, and that has to start somewhere.

Chichester can be very proud of at least trying something different, esp as it heaps more shame on towns and cities in Sussex who insist on being held back by a succession of selfish people sat, on their own, in their cars.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

It'll take generational change to get people out of their 2 tonne death wagons, and that has to start somewhere.

Chichester can be very proud of at least trying something different, esp as it heaps more shame on towns and cities in Sussex who insist on being held back by a succession of selfish people sat, on their own, in their cars.

So achieving nothing, if they were serious about going vehicle free, why not make it within the ring road rather than the much smaller city wall area which has limited vehicle use already

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So achieving nothing, if they were serious about going vehicle free, why not make it within the ring road rather than the much smaller city wall area which has limited vehicle use already

Why can't they just take their time and get it right?
It's almost as if you want 'car free' to fail.

As said there's no quick fixes here it's a generational thing but for change to come about it must start somewhere.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i suppose it could be considered selfish to use the local shops rather than sit at home, order on internet. must be a lot greener to have supermarkets and amazon vans making deliveries.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

Selfish people?

You need more than that as a moronic argument.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Selfish people?

You need more than that as a moronic argument.

no cyclists don’t! they’re always right, the rest of us are wrong, or if we see things differently to them and want to drive a car we are labelled selfish.

cyclists are pure and perfect .... they are never selfish, not even when they ignore the give way lines intended for them on cycle paths, nearly knock my 3 year old grandchild flying as we are trying to teach her the way to cross the cycle lane, considerately, and then to be shouted at ‘You wanker f off’ was what emitted from his charming foul gob. Great example to toddlers. Selfish? nah he was a pure cyclist.

i sincerely hope that a few yards up the cycle lane he happened across one of those potholes they moan about.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
no cyclists don’t! they’re always right, the rest of us are wrong, or if we see things differently to them and want to drive a car we are labelled selfish.

cyclists are pure and perfect .... they are never selfish, not even when they ignore the give way lines intended for them on cycle paths, nearly knock my 3 year old grandchild flying as we are trying to teach her the way to cross the cycle lane, considerately, and then to be shouted at ‘You wanker f off’ was what emitted from his charming foul gob. Great example to toddlers. Selfish? nah he was a pure cyclist.

i sincerely hope that a few yards up the cycle lane he happened across one of those potholes they moan about.

Thank you.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

That's my boy!

:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here