Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Chichester plans to go 'car free' one Sunday a month.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Excellent no mention of vans in the thread title ..oh what joy ..they just need to sort out the inconsiderate cyclists and I’ll have a stress free drive :whistle:

Assuming you're showing your blue badge you'll be fine.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Amazed on Sunday to see an ambulance driving through the pedestrianised area of Chi, blues etc, at speed. Clearly on their way to an emergency but boy were they shifting on those wet cobblestones, obviously necessary but high risk too.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Good to see somewhere in Sussex trying to reduce, traffic, pollution and the 1,200 annual deaths attributed to speeding cars.

https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/e...-supports-ambition-for-car-free-day-1-8830990

What is the world coming to! Bloody nanny state full of politically correct mumbo jumbo.

I've got as much right to drive my car in Chichester on a Sunday as I have any other day. I pay my road tax to provide for the roads 7 days a week, not six! Will I be getting a rebate from Chichester Parish Council or whichever bunch of lentils eating buffoons it is that has passed this by-law?

Cyclists don't even pay tax! Will There be a cycle free Sunday when I can drive my car without fear of being mowed down by one of these lycra wearing loons. It cuts both ways you see. I want to see a cycle free Sunday so I can rev the engine and burn some rubber without fear of getting stared at and victimised.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Amazon Prime on a Sunday in Chichester. Presumably the council willl be offering compensation of some sort?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
What do you think about the pedestrianisation of Chichester city centre? I'll be honest, I'm dead against it.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
What is the world coming to! Bloody nanny state full of politically correct mumbo jumbo.

I've got as much right to drive my car in Chichester on a Sunday as I have any other day. I pay my road tax to provide for the roads 7 days a week, not six! Will I be getting a rebate from Chichester Parish Council or whichever bunch of lentils eating buffoons it is that has passed this by-law?

Cyclists don't even pay tax! Will There be a cycle free Sunday when I can drive my car without fear of being mowed down by one of these lycra wearing loons. It cuts both ways you see. I want to see a cycle free Sunday so I can rev the engine and burn some rubber without fear of getting stared at and victimised.

I'll bite. You don't pay road tax. No one does.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'll bite. You don't pay road tax. No one does.

I bloody well do! I pay loads of it! And each year the government asks me to cough up more just so that these people on bikes can go around telling the rest of us what to do.

It's even worse in Chichester, where most of the population are elderly and they get terrorised by these two wheel maniacs. At least they can hear cars coming!!!!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
:

Ha, there are so many old farts in Chi, as a motorist or cyclist, you've got a pretty big chance of being mown down by an out of control mobility scooter!:clap:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
I bloody well do! I pay loads of it! And each year the government asks me to cough up more just so that these people on bikes can go around telling the rest of us what to do.

It's even worse in Chichester, where most of the population are elderly and they get terrorised by these two wheel maniacs. At least they can hear cars coming!!!!

You sure it's not VED?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You sure it's not VED?

You can call it what you want. We all know what it is and we all know the it's about time cyclists started paying for it as well. I pay my road tax so I can drive where I want, when I want.

People like [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] keep banging on about cycling, but what actual contribution do they make!?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
You can call it what you want. We all know what it is and we all know the it's about time cyclists started paying for it as well. I pay my road tax so I can drive where I want, when I want.

People like [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] keep banging on about cycling, but what actual contribution do they make!?

I pay an extra £310 on top of what ever it is because my car is over £40k. Yet I choose to cycle most days. I pay my contribution.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well if there wasn't reason enough not to go to Chichester there is at least another reason now.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I pay an extra £310 on top of what ever it is because my car is over £40k. Yet I choose to cycle most days. I pay my contribution.

Maybe I've been whooshed here but what does the value of your car have to do with what VED/Road Tax you pay ?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Maybe I've been whooshed here but what does the value of your car have to do with what VED/Road Tax you pay ?

I've got no idea what it has to do with that band I pay except I pay more for driving an expensive car.

"Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
You have to pay an extra £310 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed)"

I still think the VAT paid on one of my pedal bikes is more than my annual road tax. Not to mention all the tax/vat on Lycra, razors and shaving foam.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well if there wasn't reason enough not to go to Chichester there is at least another reason now.

Exactly. How are shops supposed to survive if I can't drive there. Next they'll be having some sort of plastic bag free Saturdays and we'll have to balance all our shopping on heads and arms and whatever just to get it back to the car park!

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

Absolutely!

They should have number plates as well; and insurance; and why don't they have to take a test? Always on pavements, through red lights, wrong way on one way streets!! And helmets should be compulsory. Lycra louts riding three abreast. My aunt's friend was knocked over by one of these lunatics, hanging's too good for them!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good to see somewhere in Sussex trying to reduce, traffic, pollution and the 1,200 annual deaths attributed to speeding cars.

https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/e...-supports-ambition-for-car-free-day-1-8830990

So what will this achieve?

I thought that the area within the City walls had limited vehicle access already, and how many road deaths have there been within the city walls arising from speeding cars on a yearly basis.
If people decide to go to Chichester, the car parks are outside of the city walls, and what do the locals do that live within the city walls on a Sunday if they want to drive away from the city.

It just seems to be the usual headline attention grabber, but actually achieves next to nothing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here