Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Chichester plans to go 'car free' one Sunday a month.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Venice doesn't have any cars

Ghent's whole city centre is traffic-free

Venice there are no roads in effect. Ghent a little research tells me has is traffic restricted, and buses, taxis, residents and business can still drive into the area. if this is the reference model, kinda supports point i was making.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Venice there are no roads in effect. Ghent a little research tells me has is traffic restricted, and buses, taxis, residents and business can still drive into the area. if this is the reference model, kinda supports point i was making.

Here's a bigger list for you, nicely-tabularised. No one size fits all, but I bet they're all nice places to walk around

http://www.carfree.com/carfree_places_old.html

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not sure kids want night clubs these days.

There are already several bars open until 2am at weekends.

My late nights are well in the past, but nightclub or not, Chichester is famously devoid of nightlife for younger people and has been since Thursdays closed in 2015, I think it was.Even then, Thursdays was way out of town.
I don't believe there are many, if any bars open in Chi until 2am., although I stand to be corrected. Many young people travel to Portsmouth, Bognor and Brighton for their late night entertainment.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Venice doesn't have any cars

DEE0318A-DEAF-4908-B411-39E7DE9839D5.jpeg

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Whenever this discussion resurfaces it always reminds me that there is something wrong with the UK (and most specifically the south of England). Community spirit is dead and it's now ALL about material personal/family possessions. "I want to park MY CAR, outside MY HOUSE, as it is MY LAND and NO-ONE should get in MY WAY". Its turning our towns and cities into soulless shitholes where people would rather wash their own car on a sunny day than go out and enjoy themselves.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Whenever this discussion resurfaces it always reminds me that there is something wrong with the UK (and most specifically the south of England). Community spirit is dead and it's now ALL about material personal/family possessions. "I want to park MY CAR, outside MY HOUSE, as it is MY LAND and NO-ONE should get in MY WAY". Its turning our towns and cities into soulless shitholes where people would rather wash their own car on a sunny day than go out and enjoy themselves.

I like soulless shitholes!

I'm going to make a point of driving my car to Chichester every Sunday jut to spite these lentil eating do-gooders. With any luck I can sound the horn at a few cyclists along the way, with their 'look at me being all healthy' arrogance about them.

If I had my way, we'd ban cyclists from roads and just restrict them to cycle paths that they can pay for themselves.

The NHS can't afford to be looking after all these injured cyclists anyhow. Just get off the road!

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

I'm going to make a point of driving my car to Chichester every Sunday jut to spite these lentil eating do-gooders. With any luck I can sound the horn at a few cyclists along the way, with their 'look at me being all healthy' arrogance about them.

If I had my way, we'd ban cyclists from roads and just restrict them to cycle paths that they can pay for themselves.

The NHS can't afford to be looking after all these injured cyclists anyhow. Just get off the road!

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Good for you my man!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Here's a bigger list for you, nicely-tabularised. No one size fits all, but I bet they're all nice places to walk around

http://www.carfree.com/carfree_places_old.html

thanks. im sure they are nice. so rather than "countless cities banned cars" we have a handful of cities, some islands and Swiss ski resorts that are really vehicle free. and a lot with car restricted or pedestrian areas, of varying size and restrictions. examples to us all what can be achieved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Not to mention going car free would put all the verge clearers out of work, as they'll no longer be mountains of McDonalds boxes, Costa cups and Red Bull cans at the side of the road.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Not to mention going car free would put all the verge clearers out of work, as they'll no longer be mountains of McDonalds boxes, Costa cups and Red Bull cans at the side of the road.

The majority of which are dumped by filthy scum bag contractors from their vans along with Evian bottles filled with orange piss.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Perhaps they like washing their cars and why shouldn't they; they've probably paid enough for them.
Each to their own ,eh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
thanks. im sure they are nice. so rather than "countless cities banned cars" we have a handful of cities, some islands and Swiss ski resorts that are really vehicle free. and a lot with car restricted or pedestrian areas, of varying size and restrictions. examples to us all what can be achieved.

I'm not too sure I'm getting your point.

You seem to be pointing out that the areas which have had a restriction placed on cars aren't doing it in a uniform manner?

Shirley the whole point isn't making the remedy to too much congestion 'one size fits all' as that attitude towards cars is what's got to this point in the first place.

Oh and there is a town in Spain that has completely banned all motor vehicles from x am to x pm every day.

It's been a huge success.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Next they'll be having some sort of plastic bag free Saturdays and we'll have to balance all our shopping on heads and arms and whatever

The cyclists won’t be laughing when they have to pedal home, through numerous red lights no doubt, with a kilo of muesli and some knitted yoghurt balanced on their heads. That’ll teach them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh and there is a town in Spain that has completely banned all motor vehicles from x am to x pm every day.

It's been a huge success.

Is that the afternoon when they all have a snooze?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here