Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Keith Flint of The Prodigy - RIP

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I remember having my Walkman confiscated at school as I was listening to in class and it was Music for the Jilted Generation. Once the teacher discovered that I was listening to that she said "At least you're listening to something decent"

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sad news today, my favourite band by far and saw them live a good 4/5 times luckily most recently at the Ally Pally last year will be a loss to my semi-retired raving shoes as always dusted them off for a Prodigy gig

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm gutted. He was such a showman. Everything I wanted to be. He put money into motorcycle racing teams in the UK and was said to be pretty decent on track. Terrible that he was in such a low place.

RIP beautiful man.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I only saw them at the Brixton Academy 2013.
One of the best live gigs in ever seen.

Think that may have been the one I went to - was a late curfew so they came on stage about midnight and it finished about 1 or 2am? Weirdly, was talking about that at a gig last week as the best gig I’ve ever been to. RIP Keith

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“He looked and behaved – on camera at least – like middle England’s nightmares come true.”

I love this line.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Had a little youtube session and this popped up in my suggestions. This is how I remember hearing the Prodigy for the first time. Keith was probably still dancing in a harlequin outfit at that time. At the time their music was so fresh and exciting. Great memories. R.I.P.

Android comes into the mix around 15 minutes in.

edit : I went to this (free) rave, the day after seeing Nirvana and Dinosaur Jr (amongst others) at Reading. What a weekend.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
What shocking news. Another man lost to suicide. The Prodigy where a band I grew up with and will always hold dear. Seeing them in the very early 90s at Sterns will always remain a highlight.

yes, quite a sobering thought isn't it, while I'm getting on with my life someone else is in the depths of despair

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Think that may have been the one I went to - was a late curfew so they came on stage about midnight and it finished about 1 or 2am? Weirdly, was talking about that at a gig last week as the best gig I’ve ever been to. RIP Keith

I was at that gig too. Leeroy had a dj set too i seem to remember. Loudest gig i can recall going to.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pushed musical boundaries on numerous occasion with some amazing tunes.

I was lucky enough to see them at Glastonbury in the mid nineties. They were talking about it being one of the first to feature dance music. The closest i could get to the Prodigy was up a hill outside the dance tent. I could barely see their feet over the top fo the massive crowd. They still ****ing rocked.

RIP Keith and thanks for the memories that will last with me forever. From Charly and Everybody in the Place through Out of Space and One Love to Breathe and Firestarter. OI OI.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I've read a couple of things over the last day or so that say what a genuinely kind and thoughtful person Keith Flint was. Copied below is one I just read on the BBC website:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Singer James Blunt, who never disappoints on Twitter, has shared a heart-warming tale about the late star, whose wildman onstage persona now seems at odds with his real life character.

"At the Q Awards years ago," wrote James, "when Noel Gallagher was saying he was leaving Ibiza because I’d moved there, and Damon Albarn refused to be in the same picture as me, and Paul Weller was saying he’d rather eat his own [expletive] than work with me, Keith Flint came over, gave me a hug, and said how thrilled he was for my success. Keith, I only met you once, but I shed a tear at the news of your death. In our business, there are no prizes for being kind, but if there was, that Grammy would be yours."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've read a couple of things over the last day or so that say what a genuinely kind and thoughtful person Keith Flint was. Copied below is one I just read on the BBC website:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Singer James Blunt, who never disappoints on Twitter, has shared a heart-warming tale about the late star, whose wildman onstage persona now seems at odds with his real life character.

"At the Q Awards years ago," wrote James, "when Noel Gallagher was saying he was leaving Ibiza because I’d moved there, and Damon Albarn refused to be in the same picture as me, and Paul Weller was saying he’d rather eat his own [expletive] than work with me, Keith Flint came over, gave me a hug, and said how thrilled he was for my success. Keith, I only met you once, but I shed a tear at the news of your death. In our business, there are no prizes for being kind, but if there was, that Grammy would be yours."

“In a previous interview he recalled how he had a jar that customers had to pay a pound into every time they made a "firestarter" joke when he lit the pub's fire.

He said: "We’ve got an open fire, and I’ve got about 60 quid in a pint pot on the mantelpiece because every time I light it, the Firestarter jokes come out, and boom, I’m like, that’s very funny, you owe me a pound.

“The money goes in and then off to charity.”

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
flint.png

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not exactly sure why, but one of the saddest aspects for me is that (according to The Sun) Keith's death happened two days after he'd taken part in Chelmsford Central's 5k Park Run where he achieved a Personal Best. Just seems so poignant somehow, that a person who was still fully engaged in living life to the full a mere 48 hours before their death then just decided that they didn't want to do it anymore :down:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowb...h-flint-suicide-marriage-split-home-sale/amp/

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

I read that just earlier when I found out about this and was about to post it myself.

Always best to dig a bit deeper and hear what people who knew/met someone thought of them as the public usually only see one side.

To most of us Keith was just a fantastic, mentalist front man of one of the best dance acts ever.

But every single person who knew him better seems to have nothing but good things to say about what a lovely, caring, genuine fella he was.

I didn't know that he'd struggled with depression and prescription drugs. It's a massive shame. The new music that they'd brought out recently was superb as well.

RIP Keith.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Not exactly sure why, but one of the saddest aspects for me is that (according to The Sun) Keith's death happened two days after he'd taken part in Chelmsford Central's 5k Park Run where he achieved a Personal Best. Just seems so poignant somehow, that a person who was still fully engaged in living life to the full a mere 48 hours before their death then just decided that they didn't want to do it anymore :down:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowb...h-flint-suicide-marriage-split-home-sale/amp/

He did his first Parkrun last month and this was his third run. Given its sometimes pricelessness as a way of briefly getting out of your thoughts, escaping your own head and letting off negative energy without the loneliness that non-organised runs entail, I wonder if it was a form of refuge. I quite often run a fast Parkrun and end up thinking at least I've achieved something tangible that's entirely of my own doing and non-materialistic. That and thinking what does it matter anyway.

What a legend he was, he looks colourful in the photos too. The run directors said some sweet stuff about him in the report.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was reading some Tweets last night and what comes through in virtually all of them, from random old people in his village, to some guy who fixed his tv, to fellow musicians to the Park Run race directors is what a sweet and kind person he was who loved village life. It is so sad.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I was reading some Tweets last night and what comes through in virtually all of them, from random old people in his village, to some guy who fixed his tv, to fellow musicians to the Park Run race directors is what a sweet and kind person he was who loved village life. It is so sad.

When there are so many sh*ts still on this planet it really is a sad loss

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here