Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who is the WORST football pundit out there currently?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Completely agree. Danny 'the lads!' Murphy is terrible. He was on the radio last week and the subject of Coventry's financial problems came up. He said that if they go bust the fans can watch a DVD of their 1987 cup win, that will ease the pain(top bantz!). A Coventry fan then called in and rightly laid into him about it and Murphy's laughable response was - 'It's a game of opinions!'.

His comments a few weeks ago regarding Steve Bruce and Sheffield Wednesday were also piss poor.

Ive posted on here before about Danny Murphy. My real problem with him is the “when you’ve played the game you understand” response to anyone with a different opinion to him. It’s lazy and dismissive. I know they all do it, Keown and Shearer in particular, but he’s the worst exponent.

It’s football. It’s a simple game. Anyone can see when a system or player is at fault. The only insight he can really fall back on is that his talent and athleticism made him rich.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sutton seems to have become a caricature of himself, and it seems like the caricature has become more important that the football.

"your better than that" has become a mindless catch phrase

Indeed. He is capable of some shrewd insights and is not dim but he's become a professional 'character' and plays up to it (and more to the point is allowed to get away with it). Confined to bed with a nasty bout of man flu I listened to the Fulham v Chelsea game and was really impressed with the commentary (Vicky Sparks?) and the analysis (Don Hutchinson). There are so many ex-pros out there that could 'do a job', you'd think that the usual suspects would need to be at the top of their game to keep getting the nod.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Martin Keown.

He literally just says any sound bite wether its relevant or not.

A classic was when he was chatting before an FA Cup round 3 match (can't remember which) it was at a non league ground vs a Prem or Champ side.

Asked what he thought one of his comments was something like "well Clive the pitch will be a great leveller, they always are at these grounds"

The pitch was 4G.

Oh. And his heavy breathing down the microphone is creepy.

Idiot.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He is absolutely the most biased and partisan pundit ever. If Liverpool aren't winning yet, they will be when they start playing...... that's about Steve Mcmanamanananan

I've watched loads of LFC games on BT where McManananananana doesn't come across as biased. He simply comes across as crap. With his commentary partner, they fail to discuss key moments.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Must admit I rarely listen to football phone in outside of BBC Sussex / Cantor / Warren A...........

But heard Chris Sutton for the first time Sunday. Beyond poor, I think I managed about 10 minutes of him....

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton is an interesting one. I actually quite like him, he is far more intelligent than most British pundits, but he has now created a bit of a monster of his perceived character and no doubt sometimes goes completely over the top.

In the summer though at the world cup when he wasn’t trying to be overy controversial, he and Alistair Bruce-Ball were excellent together on 5 Live, some quality radio.

Fair comment. I think in his case he has (very quickly) decided to live up to some sort of bizarre created caricature. Maybe some BBC producers told him to do it, his more outraged views are now regularly high up on the BBC sport web site page.

In that respect he is maybe a bit like Alan Green the commentator. Once upon a time he was decent, then the BBC started to bill him as 'the man who gives it to you straight' or some such bollocks, and before you could say 'knobhead' he disappeared up his own arse.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Probably all been mentioned already, but in order of inane shit-spoutery:

1. Michael Owen
2. Martin Keown
3. Paul Scholes
4. Jamie Redknapp
5. Whenever Gabby Logan shares her opinion

Edit: Honourable mention for Steve McManaman. What an absolute tosser that man is.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Merson. Quite a likeable guy by most accounts but an absolutely appalling pundit.

Honourable mentions for McManaman, Owen and Shearer though.

Sutton is an interesting one. I actually quite like him, he is far more intelligent than most British pundits, but he has now created a bit of a monster of his perceived character and no doubt sometimes goes completely over the top.

In the summer though at the world cup when he wasn’t trying to be overy controversial, he and Alistair Bruce-Ball were excellent together on 5 Live, some quality radio.

I'd go along with most of this. ABB prevents the worse in Sutton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here