Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Home secretary: 'Knife crime can't go on'

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
How do you stop it Mr Home Secretary? Ban knives from the kitchen? Most knives used in attacks are home implements. I would suggest stop and search, you cannot ban knives. The liberals will be on my arse.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Its just another Tory shameless self promoting come and pick me as your next leader using these tragic deaths to promote strong and stable while reducing policing numbers by over 20,000, leaving the streets and those on them to police themselves

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
communities need to stop sheltering perpetrators. typically known on the estates who does what, everyone keeps silent then screams for police to do something when its their kid.
increase use of stop and search too, apparently very succesful in Scotland in reducing knife and other crime.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Love and support your kids from an early age.

While this may seem a rather soppy statement, it is actually the crux of the whole matter. Stop and search, knife arches, talks in schools, shock videos, etc are all reactive measures.

The modern kid, in a lot of areas, in particular in London feel totally worthless, and this isn’t just because of a lack of love at home. There is also a feeling of worthlessness from outside the home. Stop and Search will further increase this feeling, as statically it will be black youths, who already feel disenfranchised that will be stopped.

Trident was set up by The Met to tackle black on black gun crime and was incredibly successful, unfortunately the knife is now the weapon of choice. A knife can be concealed a lot more easily, and in gang circles is often carried by younger or girlfriends. Stop and Search falls down there unless you have enough evidence to take them back to the station for an intimate search!

Unfortunately politicians will talk tough on crime, but never have the balls to carry out the necessary to make the changes required.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
When you’ve got luminaries like Trevor Phillips essentially calling for racial profiling,in relation to Knife attacks,we should listen.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Stop making cuts to the police force. Start imposing longer sentences.

"Longer sentences" implies they will go to jail. A youth caught with a knife will almost certainly have a referral order for a first offence where they will go and sit with a couple of beardy men and a waspish woman in large glasses who will explain to them how naughty knife crime is and how some people get hurt and "I'm sure none of us want that" while the offender (a feral scrote) looks out of the window and his mum cries a bit.

Contrast that with a lad I once witnesses who had had a number of "interventions" from the youth offending team but had somehow managed to get shipped off to Feltham YOI on a Friday night and was brought back to court the following Monday. He'd been giving it Billy Big Bollocks for a year or so and this was his first time inside (police cells aside). He was sitting in the dock, a tearful frightened child. He'd seen how unpleasant YOIs are and that was just over a weekend. The court chairman asked him if he fancied going back, but this time for three months and he broke down at the thought of it.

A short, sharp shock that makes them realise the sort of life they can expect if the don't leave the knife in the kitchen drawer (which is where most of them get them).

And restore the 20k police the tories have sacked.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
It's not just known crims though. Stop and search was the best weapon for the rozzers but it's not allowed

The Met use it following the continuing increase in knife crime in London. School officers take metal detection arches into schools but of course it's easy for young people to dispose of knives if they are aware on what days the detection arch will be there. Stop and search was lessened because of claims of racism in the London area but I think we need to give the police whatever powers they need to stop this as it is affecting normal young people and is not gang related any more. It seems to have become the norm to carry knives.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Its just another Tory shameless self promoting come and pick me as your next leader using these tragic deaths to promote strong and stable while reducing policing numbers by over 20,000, leaving the streets and those on them to police themselves

This needs to stop being a political football and we need to get a grip. I agree with you of course and think we should have Diane Abbot as Home Secretary as she has all the answers - here's an example of an interview on police numbers she gave to LBC prior to the election in 2017:

“Think of a number. Any number. Jeremy Corbyn had thought of a number. He had thought of the number 10,000. That was how many new policemen and women Labour were promising to put on the beat if they won the election. He’d show the Tories he too could be tough on law and order.
Think of a number. Several numbers. The shadow home secretary, Diane Abbott, had thought of several. Unfortunately all of them were the wrong ones as she tried to explain Labour’s policing commitments to Nick Ferrari in an interview on LBC radio.

Ferrari had got things rolling by asking how much 10,000 new officers would cost. Not the trickiest of opening questions as this was precisely the one she had been sent on his show to answer, but still it caught Abbott totally off guard.

“Well ... erm ...” she dithered. Why was this man asking her about policemen? Still, it would be rude not to say anything. But it was tricky. Up till now it hadn’t occurred to her that policemen actually got paid. Like real money. She’d always rather imagined they were all doing voluntary work. “If we recruit the 10,000 police men and women over a four-year period, we believe it’ll be about £300,000.”

“What are you paying them?” asked Ferrari who was just beginning to realise the interview could be comedy gold. Abbott scratched her head. Hadn’t she just told him what the policemen would be getting? £30 per year sounded more than enough to her. If they didn’t like it they could always go and work in a Nike sweatshop in the Philippines for twice as much. Some people didn’t know how lucky they were. But sensing she might have miscalculated a little, she went back to check her maths.

Radio silence.

“They will cost ... they will, it will cost, erm, about ... about £80m,” she said eventually having just done some long division on her 13 fingers.

“How do you get to that figure?”

Longer radio silence

“We get to that figure because we anticipate recruiting 25,000 extra police officers a year at least,” Abbott declared triumphantly. She was sure Corbyn wouldn’t mind her having arbitrarily decided to recruit an extra 15,000 police officers.”

and it continued.....

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes this, and of course, young men need role models.
How many fathers figure in the lives of the perpetrators?

Feckless fathers is a small part of the problem. The work that needs to be done is the deeper problem as to WHY?

Why do some men think it ok to father children and walk away. Why do some women feel comfortable popping out kids to anyone they sleep with, with no fear of consequence?

It is a far more difficult and uncomfortable subject to approach, and the answers are very difficult to find without going down the social engineering route! That didn’t go down well in the history books.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This needs to stop being a political football and we need to get a grip. I agree with you of course and think we should have Diane Abbot as Home Secretary as she has all the answers - here's an example of an interview on police numbers she gave to LBC prior to the election in 2017:

“Think of a number. Any number. Jeremy Corbyn had thought of a number. He had thought of the number 10,000. That was how many new policemen and women Labour were promising to put on the beat if they won the election. He’d show the Tories he too could be tough on law and order.
Think of a number. Several numbers. The shadow home secretary, Diane Abbott, had thought of several. Unfortunately all of them were the wrong ones as she tried to explain Labour’s policing commitments to Nick Ferrari in an interview on LBC radio.

Ferrari had got things rolling by asking how much 10,000 new officers would cost. Not the trickiest of opening questions as this was precisely the one she had been sent on his show to answer, but still it caught Abbott totally off guard.

“Well ... erm ...” she dithered. Why was this man asking her about policemen? Still, it would be rude not to say anything. But it was tricky. Up till now it hadn’t occurred to her that policemen actually got paid. Like real money. She’d always rather imagined they were all doing voluntary work. “If we recruit the 10,000 police men and women over a four-year period, we believe it’ll be about £300,000.”

“What are you paying them?” asked Ferrari who was just beginning to realise the interview could be comedy gold. Abbott scratched her head. Hadn’t she just told him what the policemen would be getting? £30 per year sounded more than enough to her. If they didn’t like it they could always go and work in a Nike sweatshop in the Philippines for twice as much. Some people didn’t know how lucky they were. But sensing she might have miscalculated a little, she went back to check her maths.

Radio silence.

“They will cost ... they will, it will cost, erm, about ... about £80m,” she said eventually having just done some long division on her 13 fingers.

“How do you get to that figure?”

Longer radio silence

“We get to that figure because we anticipate recruiting 25,000 extra police officers a year at least,” Abbott declared triumphantly. She was sure Corbyn wouldn’t mind her having arbitrarily decided to recruit an extra 15,000 police officers.”

and it continued.....

Classic radio, I was listening to that on my way to work, never thought it would become headlines.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes this, and of course, young men need role models.
How many fathers figure in the lives of the perpetrators?

I was pretty much fatherless in my teens, I didn't feel the need to stab people because of it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not just a white girl on Friday night, but I see The Daily Telegraph this morning states 'a gifted public school boy' is the latest victim - no wonder it now has to stop.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not just a white girl on Friday night, but I see The Daily Telegraph this morning states 'a gifted public school boy' is the latest victim - no wonder it now has to stop.

But how do you stop knife crime? Anyone can get a blade out of the kitchen draw and walk off into the night. Stop and search is the only real solution I can see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here