Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The FA Cup- How Do You Regard It ?

Your View On The FA Cup

• Aged 50+ Unimportant- A distraction

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Aged 50+ Indifferent- Worth a shot but not a priority

Votes: 37 18.6%
  • Aged 50+ Important- Should be respected

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Aged 41-50-Unimportant- A distraction

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Aged 41-50- Indifferent- Worth a shot but not a priority

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Aged 41-50--Important- Should be respected

Votes: 40 20.1%
  • Aged 31-40- Unimportant- A distraction

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Aged 31-40- Indifferent- Worth a shot but not a priority

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Aged 31-40-Important- Should be respected

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • Under 30- Unimportant- A distraction

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Under 30- Indifferent- Worth a shot but not a priority

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Under 30- Important- Should be respected

Votes: 15 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A while ago I concluded that feelings about the tournament may be polarised by generations having different views.

It's not that simple. I reckon there are loads of factors at play - a bit of warped nostalgia and changes caused by big cash.

The final day itself doesn't feel as special to us oldies chiefly, I think, because the match is now one of hundreds shown live each season. A live match used to be a rare treat.

Many managers rest players (or, more accurately, utilise their squads) not because they don't care about the FA Cup, but because the Premier League is worth an absolute fortune, and so much more than the Championship.

The Champions League is now the major cup competition for big English clubs - can't deny that - but they still love to win the FA Cup when they can. Imagine Solskjær winning it with United. Or City as part of a quadruple.

I very much doubt there are many in the game who genuinely aren't bothered about the tournament.

Despite all the changes around it, the FA Cup is a major trophy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If we don’t got for it, really what is the point of football for clubs like ours? Feck the PL, trophy every time!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Winning any trophy is important, ask the Spuds manager

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Being in the QF changes a lot of opinions. We are not likely to be winners but now is our best chance for many years to win it so a concentrated effort is what is required.

If we stretch the gap to the bottom 3 from 5 to 8 points next weekend then I'd be in the go all out to win it camp but survival is more important to our club

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I’m about to turn 31.

As important as the league for me. Tragic the way it has been treated in the last 20 years. Suppose that is what money does.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I like the FA Cup but it does not seem as important as it used to be. Two quick fixes for the FA to do.

1. The FA cup winner gets a place in the Champions League at the expense of 4th place in the Premier League (non-qualifying).

2. Wembley is dropped for the semis. The FA selects a pool of elite stadium (50k+ capacity) and selects the semi-final venues based on location and/or a draw.

It’s great to have games on the BBC, we just need clubs to prioritise it a little more.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I would love to see Hughton arrive at Wembley in a helicopter sporting a nice pair of white shoes with Des doing the voice over.:rolleyes:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I really think that is not the tournament itself that has any value to PL Clubs now.

However, what is does do is create a vehicle to keep fringe and squad players contented. It allows those players to get game time. Otherwise many of them may not stick around if they thought they would never play at all during a season. Many of them would be off somewhere else to get game time. Thus it allows teams to have a good 25 man squad as opposed to a good starting 11

It then allows clubs like Brighton to be able to compete a bit better when they incur injuries and suspensions and to throw the odd youngster into games which the fans like to see. That's it's value these days and if it just so happens you get a good run in the cup then it takes the fans along for the ride.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I was living overseas in 83. For those of you who were in the UK, how much more or less did you care about the FA cup compared with relegation out of division 1 during the last few rounds? Personally I was rivetted by the cup - sensationally exciting. Furious with my old man who went to the semi final but didn't try to go to the final. Wasn't bothered by the relgation at all (felt we didn't belong in division 1, for reasons related to my experience - felt we were lucky to have made it to division 2 to be honest).

These days I'm team EPL all the way, and won't get too excited about the cup unless we somehow end up playing Swansea or Wolves in the final. Nobody remembers the losers. Fact.

The town went FA cup crazy. Seemed like every shop etc had blue and white bunting and posters. Cycled furiously to Hove school with my mates who didnt usually even watch football where the helicopter landed coming back from the first final. Relegation hurt but I felt like others we would be back soon, remember singing defiantly "We'll be back" at the celebrations at the town hall after the cup final defeat. Took most of my life to be back though :( but we got there. As for not getting too excited we were against United and very much underdogs I think if we got to a final this time around we would have a better chance whoever we faced.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The town went FA cup crazy. Seemed like every shop etc had blue and white bunting and posters. Cycled furiously to Hove school with my mates who didnt usually even watch football where the helicopter landed coming back from the first final. Relegation hurt but I felt like others we would be back soon, remember singing defiantly "We'll be back" at the celebrations at the town hall after the cup final defeat. Took most of my life to be back though :( but we got there. As for not getting too excited we were against United and very much underdogs I think if we got to a final this time around we would have a better chance whoever we faced.

Cheers for that.

I was away. I have had recurrnt poignant dreams about a lost chunk of my life. Ah, well.

Still.....look at the now. Blimey! Good, it is. :thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I take far less interest in the FA Cup than I used to.

Gone are the days of listening to the radio on Monday lunchtime to hear the draw, that was undertaken without too much fanfare. Today, I can't be bothered to tune into the One Show to hear about 15 minutes of waffle before getting to the draw. I just look up the full draw sometime later in the evening.

Then when the cup weekend comes around, I don't usually watch any of the live games, on the basis that one will be Manchester United whoever they are playing and the BBC usually go for at least one all PL game given they have no PL games to show live.

Plus the downgrading of the Cup by most PL and Championship teams in playing fringe players. Also the spreading of the games over the entire weekend doesn't help. A lunchtime kick off at Bournemouth along with other games just for overseas TV coverage is not what the cup should be about.

The wins by Hereford, Sutton, Wimbledon stand out, but these days with weakened teams being put put, I doubt tend to recall the games where lower teams put out higher placed teams.

The actual final, if I'm in I'll watch it, but won't go out of my way to do so.

With the QF final approaching, yes I'm going but the league games around it are to me more important.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
After we've won it i'm looking forward to the 1st round draw of the UEFA Europa League , FC Tobol please , (can i have a lift ) .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Whilst I am a bit ambivalent about it today, those who were are Highbury back in 83 will remember how they felt at the final whistle.

Dead excited knowing we were going to wembley for a cup final, doesnt beat the feeling i had at Anfield knocking Liverpool out though. Went absolutely bezerk mental at the final whistle with everyone else. That feeling will live with me forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here