Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The FA Cup- How Do You Regard It ?

Your View On The FA Cup

• Aged 50+ Unimportant- A distraction

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Aged 50+ Indifferent- Worth a shot but not a priority

Votes: 37 18.6%
  • Aged 50+ Important- Should be respected

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Aged 41-50-Unimportant- A distraction

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Aged 41-50- Indifferent- Worth a shot but not a priority

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Aged 41-50--Important- Should be respected

Votes: 40 20.1%
  • Aged 31-40- Unimportant- A distraction

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Aged 31-40- Indifferent- Worth a shot but not a priority

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Aged 31-40-Important- Should be respected

Votes: 20 10.1%
  • Under 30- Unimportant- A distraction

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Under 30- Indifferent- Worth a shot but not a priority

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Under 30- Important- Should be respected

Votes: 15 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It’s widely accepted now that the FA Cup is no longer what it once was. ‘Giant killings’ of great magnitude are often diluted by them being victories against second string sides.

A while ago I concluded that feelings about the tournament may be polarised by generations having different views. My feeling was that the older you are the more it means- or you would like it still to mean.

So another poll to test this that is based on the age group of folk as well as their feelings. Given that NSC is a broad church I guess it will be definitive.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Poll added

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The 1st round of the FA cup is probably the FA cup at its absolute best. Great stories with little known teams having their moment of glory.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
A trophy we came very close to winning! Would look fantastic on the club CV "F.A. Cup winners 2018/19"

People remember that Wigan beat Man.City in the Cup Final, but forget they also got relegated that season!
With the squad we have, we should still be going for it, IMHO!

Not quite the same these days of course, but would love a trip to Wembley to see Bruno pick it up! What a day that would be! :rave::albion2:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I don't dream about finishing 14th in the Premier League, but I do dream about winning the FA cup.

I was too young to go or even remember the last time we were in the cup final. I would give anything (I would at least have to rearrange my family holiday to Portugal) to go to a FA cup final.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It was the only game televised in my youth apart from European Cup finals. It even had BBC and ITV coverage starting at 9am on the day of the final, and there would be less cars on the roads during the day like Christmas day.

Now there is so many games broadcast and the semi finals are at Wembley, and the traditional 3pm start has been abandoned.

Times have changed I guess.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Round 3: If we win, fine, if not, me-h

Round 4: If we win, good, if not, me-h

Round 5: If we win, excellent, if not, oh well ,maybe next year

Quarter final: LET'S DO THIS !!!

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Round 3: If we win, fine, if not, me-h

Round 4: If we win, good, if not, me-h

Round 5: If we win, excellent, if not, oh well ,maybe next year

Quarter final: LET'S DO THIS !!!

Yes, I did ponder if I should have posted this in January ! I wonder how it would have looked 40 years ago though.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
As an over 50 i love the F.A. Cup, they have undervalued it though over the years, personally i would love to see the semi's moved back to a neutral venue, even getting to Wembley was special, now all you have to do is play Tottenham. Once Spurs move home i hope they never lease it out again, i know its all part of paying for the ridiculous amount it cost to build it, but it really was a big thing to get to Wembley.

The final itself should also be the week after the season finishes at 3pm on the Saturday and on council tv, i dont even know if this has been exclusive to Sky in recent years or not, but if it is, when the contract runs out, it shouldn't be renewed, i have nothing against Sky showing it, as long as its not ONLY on Sky.

I like some of the recent changes such as no replays after round 5, but generally it wasn't broken, dont **** about with it. However one change i would like to see is premier league clubs being forced to select maybe 7 players that have played the majority of the season, even Brighton make sweeping changes for the F.A. Cup, i understand why, but it's all part of why the Cup isn't held in the same esteem it once was.

Winning the cup is also a great part of a clubs history, look at our history, yeah we're all proud of the great fight we put up to preserve our club, but what have we won? Zilch, a few championships in the lower leagues and the Charity shield when it was played under a different format back in 1910, it's time to start building a history, the league title will probably never be within our sights, but both cups most definitely should be.

I was there in 1983, would i accept a repeat going down and making the final? No way, the league is way to important financially, but it is possible to stay up AND win the cup, christ, that happens every year with the exception of Wigan.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Yes, I did ponder if I should have posted this in January ! I wonder how it would have looked 40 years ago though.

Its not as black and white as the poll either. Is your club competing for championship promotion then its probably a distraction. Is your club in the later stages of the champions league or europa cup then its probably a distraction. The year Brighton got to the final we were going down regardless if we got to the final or not. For a club like ours an FA cup run is a possiblility that we can go for without too much of a distraction and that comes from being in the Premiership so staying there is important too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That poll shows that the majority, regardless of age, like the FA cup (blow me down, there's a turn up for my trousers, etc).

More importantly it shows how bloody old the people are who bother to respond to polls on NSC. Is that a reflection of the board as a whole? Does that mean that in ten years time NSC will be dead because its keenest adherents will have shuffled off their mortal coils, while our younger supporters devote their online time to twitter, Blatter and Grindr? ???

I think we need a poll.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I was living overseas in 83. For those of you who were in the UK, how much more or less did you care about the FA cup compared with relegation out of division 1 during the last few rounds? Personally I was rivetted by the cup - sensationally exciting. Furious with my old man who went to the semi final but didn't try to go to the final. Wasn't bothered by the relgation at all (felt we didn't belong in division 1, for reasons related to my experience - felt we were lucky to have made it to division 2 to be honest).

These days I'm team EPL all the way, and won't get too excited about the cup unless we somehow end up playing Swansea or Wolves in the final. Nobody remembers the losers. Fact.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I was living overseas in 83. For those of you who were in the UK, how much more or less did you care about the FA cup compared with relegation out of division 1 during the last few rounds? Personally I was rivetted by the cup - sensationally exciting. Furious with my old man who went to the semi final but didn't try to go to the final. Wasn't bothered by the relgation at all (felt we didn't belong in division 1, for reasons related to my experience - felt we were lucky to have made it to division 2 to be honest).

These days I'm team EPL all the way, and won't get too excited about the cup unless we somehow end up playing Swansea or Wolves in the final. Nobody remembers the losers. Fact.

I remember the ‘83 losers, fact! :)

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The poll clearly showing more than intended. Like who can be bothered to respond to polls.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here