Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus Poyet on Goals on Sunday now...

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Last season at withdean was one of my favourite ever seasons so that’s how I like to remember him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If it wasn’t for Poyet we wouldn’t be where we are today. Forget the bullshit and appreciate how far we’ve come

Bolleaux. First TB manager. First Albion manager with the purse-strings loosened. As Poyet's subsequent managerial career has demonstrated, he's not all that. Even Oscar Garcia managed to reach the halfway line in half the number of crab-like sideways passes than Poyet did (10 instead of 20) :shrug:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If it wasn’t for Poyet we wouldn’t be where we are today. Forget the bullshit and appreciate how far we’ve come

Gus got us out of league one, but couldn’t get us out of the championship. I’d wager that there are a number of managers who could have achieved that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bolleaux. First TB manager. First Albion manager with the purse-strings loosened. As Poyet's subsequent managerial career has demonstrated, he's not all that. Even Oscar Garcia managed to reach the halfway line in half the number of crab-like sideways passes than Poyet did (10 instead of 20) :shrug:

Do you think Jim Gannon would have done as good / better?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

:shrug:

Many of the English Serial Loser Managers Club, Big Ron, Dick or 'Arry, would probably have done as well, if not better. As subsequent events have shown, Poyet had no special qualities as a manager, apart from a monstrous out-of-control ego.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus got us out of league one, but couldn’t get us out of the championship. I’d wager that there are a number of managers who could have achieved that.

It’s all about ceilings

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Unlikely but Garcia was certainly on par. CH is much better.

Gus was found out in the championship. How can team going for promotion not win a game in 18 months when going a goal down .....

poidy

Aug 3, 2009

Gus was found out in the championship. How can team going for promotion not win a game in 18 months when going a goal down .....

Sadly people look through Gus’s time with the Albion through rose tinted glasses.

The League One championship winning season was phenomenal yes. From those back to back away trips at Charlton and Peterborough and the eight straight wins in March. A brand of football that the third tier of English football hitherto hadn’t seen.

What I would say about that year was whilst playing predominantly possession based football, we were still quite expansive.

We were a lot more cautious in the Championship and for every Blackpool at home (6-1) there was a Bristol City away -that horrible midweek game in March where we didn’t register one single shot. A couple of dire trips to Watford also spring to mind.

Whilst there were games that left me wowed by the football we were producing, there were equally times I was bored out of my mind watching our predictable patterns of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Gus had, (and probably still has), a lot of managerial talent. His one and only problem, and a big one at that, is his huge ego, and failure to admit that he could ever be wrong. I just love Gus, his enthusiasm and energy were just infectious.

Would be great to see him back in the game somewhere, but whether or not that will happen is another matter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Haha, I had forgotten about him. Now we have been relatively successful and with a setup to die for, it's easy to forget the calibre of managers and players we were linked with not so long ago.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

But Poyet took us on, relegation bound in League One. Easy to compare what happened after but without the initial turnaround, could be very different

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We were a lot more cautious in the Championship and for every Blackpool at home (6-1) there was a Bristol City away -that horrible midweek game in March where we didn’t register one single shot. A couple of dire trips to Watford also spring to mind.

Funny you should mention those two. Under Poyet I saw us beat Brizzle away and Watford away 0-1, both games. Bad examples?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Funny you should mention those two. Under Poyet I saw us beat Brizzle away and Watford away 0-1, both games. Bad examples?

I clearly remember the Bristol City game [MENTION=14284]poidy[/MENTION] is referring to, we had absolutely no ambition.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I clearly remember the Bristol City game [MENTION=14284]poidy[/MENTION] is referring to, we had absolutely no ambition.

I'm just saying I also remember going to these places and winning under Poyet.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
But Poyet took us on, relegation bound in League One. Easy to compare what happened after but without the initial turnaround, could be very different

Very true but to imply that only Gus could have done this wrong.

His style of football was just too good for league one but he was found out in the championship. When we were good we were very good but more often than not we’re grinding results out.

He was a breath of fresh air but in hindsight he isnt anywhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Very true but to imply that only Gus could have done this wrong.

His style of football was just too good for league one but he was found out in the championship. When we were good we were very good but more often than not we’re grinding results out.

He was a breath of fresh air but in hindsight he isnt anywhere near as good as he thinks he is.

I never said Gus only could, but when the alternatives were Jim Gannon etc, I am glad we got Gus and he ultimately started the turnaround to where we are now, which is all I said

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can point to the away game v Watford this season and last season v Huddersfield as two particularly awful away trips, does that mean we're overrating Hughton? I mean, lots of managers that have experience getting promoted from the championship and staying up could come in with the squad Hughton was given and got us up. Are we just looking through rose tinted glasses? Hughton is the manager that did it. Poyet was the manager that took us from a struggling league one side to dominating a division that was Southampton's to lose, establishing us in the championship and lifting us to a play off regular, building a squad of players from which formed the basis of Garcia's success, and a couple of whom are still very important parts of our squad.

No, people aren't looking through rose-tinted glasses to appreciate what Gus did. Someone else could have done it? Probably. It doesn't change the fact that Gus is the person who did do it. Yes, it turned sour at the end, but that does not mean he can't be praised for what happened before.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have no problem with Poyet, made a total transition with this club when Bloom took a punt on him and it worked so well. Poyet got us promotion in the year it was so badly needed, new ground, but he also did it with such class. Our football was, as said, unseen before at that level, and we swept everyone aside. I disagree that anyone else could have done that, I don't think anyone else could have, especially from the struggle season previous, which mirrors Hyppia to Hughton in a way. He is a gob shite, with an ego as big as an elephants a-hole, but he was a good manager for us when it mattered until his outburst, nothing was going to be rosy after that.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Considering his time in charge we managed:

13th in League One (Joined part way through the season)
1st in League One
10th in Championship
4th in Championship

I don’t care what anyone says, he will always be remembered as one of the best Albion managers in my opinion. He took us from League One relegation candidates to a potential Premier League club in the space of four seasons.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

He really wasn’t IMO

Garcia sent me to sleep with his boring football, Poyet gave us a number of memorable games.

Thoroughly enjoyed our football under him, there were a few poor games, but I’ve seen a few under Hughton and Mullery too.

Of course he should have kept his big mouth shut, but some of the comments on here are unnecessary and inaccurate IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here