Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus Poyet on Goals on Sunday now...

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I never said Gus only could, but when the alternatives were Jim Gannon etc, I am glad we got Gus and he ultimately started the turnaround to where we are now, which is all I said

Thinking about it Gus was very similar to MA first time around. Right person, right place at the right time but like MA he did very little once he left. I’d forgotten about Jim Gannon. ...

For me the tipping point with Gus was getting rid of Murray. That is one bad decision ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I think I could have won us promotion as manager with Murray, Barnes and Wood up front.
TB gave him the opportunity and he threw it back in his face.

Oh. And ours....

I have never ever felt so sick sitting in the car park at the Amex after finding out his post match comments vs Pal*ce

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The thing to consider is did we become a championship promotion contender because of Poyet or because we had a new stadium, top chairman and recruitment team who provided the squad we needed to compete

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For me the tipping point with Gus was getting rid of Murray. That is one bad decision ....

Never a tipping point for me, we thought we were replacing Muzza with 'quality', it turned out not to be the case. Big mistake, we've all made them in our lives, just not on that magnitude!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thinking about it Gus was very similar to MA first time around. Right person, right place at the right time but like MA he did very little once he left. I’d forgotten about Jim Gannon. ...

Glenn Murray was never 100% Gus fault. Ken Brown & the board made Poyet choose between Murray or CMS.

And don’t forget Murray scored 7 goals in his first season at Palace vs CMS who scored 11. No one at that point was doubting it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Compare the managerial trajectory of these two former Spuds players....

the manager Poyet.PNG
The manager Hughton.PNG

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Glenn Murray was never 100% Gus fault. Ken Brown & the board made Poyet choose between Murray or CMS.

And don’t forget Murray scored 7 goals in his first season at Palace vs CMS who scored 11. No one at that point was doubting it

I’d heard (not that it makes it true)that he’d already decided that Murray didn’t fit the bill and wanted someone else hence going for CMS. Who he didn’t play to his strengths .....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’d heard (not that it makes it true)that he’d already decided that Murray didn’t fit the bill and wanted someone else hence going for CMS. Who he didn’t play to his strengths .....

I’ll disclose I was a guest of Ken Browns son in the directors box on more than one occasion in our debut season at the AMEX. Not that I know fact or figures but I do know that we couldn’t financially accommodate both. Poyet (and the board) felt that CMS presented better long term potential. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but again after the first season no one was saying we backed the wrong horse

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If he'd simply gone to Reading, he would have left a hero, and a lot would still want him back here now.

His CV will already be in at Fulham.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Meaningless stat.

He got us to 4th place in the Championship on a mid-table budget. Hardly 'found out', is it?

He left because he new he couldn’t get us promoted. 4th is exactly that and if you don’t win play offs then it’s mes little.

It’s not a meaningless stat, it says much about the style of football that he played. When it worked it was a thing of beauty, when it didn’t it was boring as hell.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I’ll disclose I was a guest of Ken Browns son in the directors box on more than one occasion in our debut season at the AMEX. Not that I know fact or figures but I do know that we couldn’t financially accommodate both. Poyet (and the board) felt that CMS presented better long term potential. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but again after the first season no one was saying we backed the wrong horse

As I said. Just because I heard it doesn’t make it true so i bow to your insider info.

FWIW. I was once told hindsight was the excuse of the ill prepared.

As I said before he was right man, right place and right time for getting us out of league one. However he couldn’t get us out of the championship and he new it, hence why he left.

The manner in which he dumped us showed a distinct lack of class.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
He left because he new he couldn’t get us promoted. 4th is exactly that and if you don’t win play offs then it’s mes little.

It’s not a meaningless stat, it says much about the style of football that he played. When it worked it was a thing of beauty, when it didn’t it was boring as hell.

It is an utterly meaningless stat. You're conflating the order of scoring goals with the quality of football. If we conceded first in every game, the stat might have some validity. But we didn't, so it doesn't.

Meanwhile, back in the real world - as a club (not a team, or a squad - a club), we were still finding our feet.

So the assumption that we would go - as a club - from having one of the smallest budgets in the third tier one season, to thinking that we could get promoted in the first or the second season in the second tier is beyond fantasy. It's also re-writing history to consider it that way in retrospect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The thing to consider is did we become a championship promotion contender because of Poyet or because we had a new stadium, top chairman and recruitment team who provided the squad we needed to compete

The recruitment team ie David Burke, who was sacked on the spot just two years later.

In 2009, when Gus took over, we were in the relegation zone of League 1, and he spent very little money for us to get promoted. Calde came in on a free, LuaLua, Barnes and Wood were on loan. We did pay for Barnes in the summer of 2010, but it was less than £100K. I can't remember how much we paid for Greer, but it wasn't a fortune. Marcos Painter was on a free.
Eighteen months later, we were champions, going into the new stadium as a Championship club.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
However he couldn’t get us out of the championship and he new it, hence why he left.

The manner in which he dumped us showed a distinct lack of class.

None of us know if Poyet knew he couldn’t take us further or but but It even took Hughton 2 go’s on a much bigger budget than Poyet had to get us promoted.

No one disagrees the way he dumped us tainted it and lacked class but the rewriting of history by some on here is incredible

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sadly people look through Gus’s time with the Albion through rose tinted glasses.

The League One championship winning season was phenomenal yes. From those back to back away trips at Charlton and Peterborough and the eight straight wins in March. A brand of football that the third tier of English football hitherto hadn’t seen.

What I would say about that year was whilst playing predominantly possession based football, we were still quite expansive.

We were a lot more cautious in the Championship and for every Blackpool at home (6-1) there was a Bristol City away -that horrible midweek game in March where we didn’t register one single shot. A couple of dire trips to Watford also spring to mind.

Whilst there were games that left me wowed by the football we were producing, there were equally times I was bored out of my mind watching our predictable patterns of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it sad to look at Gus' time with us through rose-tinted glasses? I enjoyed every minute of our time with Gus, it was superb, some of the best football I've ever seen us play.

Both Gus and CH have achieved similar, relegation zone to promotion to stability in division above in 4 seasons, and they're both heroes.

I've also never got the animosity to Gus, it never made any sense to me

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Gus got us out of league one, but couldn’t get us out of the championship. I’d wager that there are a number of managers who could have achieved that.

Barry Lloyd for one, and he got to the play-off final with the purse strings well and truly tightened and a board that had his hands tied behind his back!

I'm no fan of Poyet, principally because of his personality. The Murray saga was diabolical and I don't believe you can compare his and CMS's records for the following season. Murray took a little while to bed in at Brighton. Had he stayed, he would have been in a team he knew playing alongside Ashley Barnes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Barry Lloyd for one, and he got to the play-off final with the purse strings well and truly tightened and a board that had his hands tied behind his back!

I'm no fan of Poyet, principally because of his personality. The Murray saga was diabolical and I don't believe you can compare his and CMS's records for the following season. Murray took a little while to bed in at Brighton. Had he stayed, he would have been in a team he knew playing alongside Ashley Barnes.

Murray knew he was getting a lot higher wage and a signing on fee at Palace. The press even reported he was on £12K a week at Palace when our wage cap was £8K a week.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It is an utterly meaningless stat. You're conflating the order of scoring goals with the quality of football. If we conceded first in every game, the stat might have some validity. But we didn't, so it doesn't.

Meanwhile, back in the real world - as a club (not a team, or a squad - a club), we were still finding our feet.

So the assumption that we would go - as a club - from having one of the smallest budgets in the third tier one season, to thinking that we could get promoted in the first or the second season in the second tier is beyond fantasy. It's also re-writing history to consider it that way in retrospect.

It is not meaningless. If you are an opposition manager and know that scoring first almost guarantees a win then it will affect how you approach the game.

Agree regards budget and I’ve never had anything other than praise for getting us promoted. However his style of play was not going to get us promoted from the championship, nor for that matter would his ego. His record subsequent to leaving us isn’t exactly stellar.
I’ve a customer in Seville who is a Betis fan. He is not all complementary about poyet. I’m being polite here! Granted Betis fans are not all that rational or stable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here