Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lighting in the penalty box

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just a quick sanity check - has there always been a brighter part of the penalty area from the goal line up to around the penalty spot? Trying to figure out if it was just the time of day and ambient light that meant it was the first time I noticed it yesterday. I guess it is for goal line technology but I hadn't really noticed before. Yesterday, the grass looked a lighter green in that area.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps the club are trying to give Ryan a longer shadow?

Every little bit helps.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just a quick sanity check - has there always been a brighter part of the penalty area from the goal line up to around the penalty spot? Trying to figure out if it was just the time of day and ambient light that meant it was the first time I noticed it yesterday. I guess it is for goal line technology but I hadn't really noticed before. Yesterday, the grass looked a lighter green in that area.

Last two games I noticed it. I assume they have seeded it with a different type of grass.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Last two games I noticed it. I assume they have seeded it with a different type of grass.
There were some floodlights in the SE corner that seemed to be pointing in that area so my assumption was it was being lit to a higher level. I know some Championship sides can't use goal line technology for evening games due to lighting but I assumed that was the non LED stuff. I would have thought our floodlights would be enough without extra.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Last 2 or 3 home games. Extra lighting definitely (saw the shadows of the keepers from the new lights). No idea why...

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Noticed it for a long time, not only at The Amex but many other grounds as I watch the football on TV.
Always wondered why and been meaning to ask the question on here.
It can only be floodlights pointed there can't it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Noticed it for a long time, not only at The Amex but many other grounds as I watch the football on TV.
Always wondered why and been meaning to ask the question on here.
It can only be floodlights pointed there can't it?

Maybe it's to enable referees to see penalty shouts? If it is, it's not working. Maybe more lighting needed?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I read the thread title as LIGHTNING in the penalty box and thought this was going to be an Andone appreciation thread

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Maybe TV companies have requested it to help with the Ultra4k slow mo replays?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Noticed it too. Couldn't work out if it was the grass or the light.

I think it's the floodlights being focused in that area to help out the new goal line technology stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here