Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] cpfc vs BHAFC

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
This x 100. Beating City would be nice, would even be remembered for a season or two. Thumping Palace with 10 men will bring a smile for YEARS, whatever happens up the road.

When the whole win the FA Cup vs Relegation question was prevalent last week, I thought to myself that we had already achieved my nirvana for the season with the Palace result. I think we would need to lose 10-0 on Saturday for the memory of that wonderful night to be sullied ...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course it was. I incorrectly blamed Montoya because it was down his side. I must have subconciously forgiven Leon for some reason. Can't think why...

View attachment 105337

Wasn't it something like earliest in a match a substitute has scored a goal or something similar?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wasn't it something like earliest in a match a substitute has scored a goal or something similar?

Second quickest goal by a substitute this season after coming on, 25 seconds (I think) 1second slower than Sturridge for Liverpool against West Ham.

Wasn’t it first time 2 subs have scored in the 1st half?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, was the first time 2 subs have scored in the 1st half in PL history.

Alongside Murray and Bruno combining for the oldest goal in PL history we've set a couple of records this season.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We've got Batshuayi now who does appear able to put the ball into the net, so hopefully that'll change things.

That’s really sweet.

But.

You see that American singer, songwriter, record producer, and former professional basketball player, R Kelly having a tantrum?

[tweet]1103277540314177541[/tweet]

That’s you that is (after we beat you on Saturday).

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
A random selection of Zaha's ratings in that game:

4 - https://www.football.london/crystal...ighton-palace-player-ratings-tomkins-15506978
5- https://www.90min.com/posts/6239168...-reaction-as-10-men-seagulls-fight-to-victory
6 - https://www.skysports.com/football/brighton-vs-c-palace/390898
5 - https://www.brightonandhoveindepend...ion-v-crystal-palace-player-ratings-1-8728622

An average of 5/10 then. Given that he is supposed to be worth £50m+ and was playing against ten for a lot of the game, it sounds pretty terrible to me.

I will give you that he wasn't as terrible as some of the others, but he can't have been much worse in any other game this season.

What you have said about him being wiped out loads of times is also not my recollection. I seem to remember us keeping our shape and being quite happy to let him have the ball as he wasn't going anywhere with it. The penalty was a standard Zaha move of tempting Montoya into stretching to make an unncessary challenge. It's annoying when defenders get mugged off by this, but it wasn't a 'wiping out'.

I am sure that if he had been given particularly poor treatment, he wouldn't have been shy in running to the media to complain about it. I can't find any comment from him. It seems from the news reports that the only targetting of him was with a pie and happened before kick off.

This all kind of points to a bit of re-writing of history on your part or possibly a mis-recollection skewed by confirmation bias.

Brighton players fouled Zaha seven times in the second half alone, and that's ignoring the other clear fouls that the referee failed to award.

While checking that stat I've just remembered that your first goal came from a penalty that should never have been given. What great fun!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
3 things: our away form is even worse, we have strikers who on average have 1 shot (not goals) every 3 games; secondly, in Zaha they have a truly gifted player, a match winner, marquee signing call it what you want whereas we don’t - in dour scruffy derby games these players especially can make the difference with a moment of sheer brilliance, not to mention Zaha habitually does this in fixtures against us; and lastly, I’m a born pessimist when it comes to the Albion and she rarely lets me down!

You were clearly absent during the St Patrick’s day massacre. Wilf totally owned.

Anyone who thinks we can’t possibly win a one off game against Palace, our biggest rivals, where we do have players who can score, when Andone is clearly coming into form and loves a scrap...we’ll, I beg to differ.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You were clearly absent during the St Patrick’s day massacre. Wilf totally owned.

Anyone who thinks we can’t possibly win a one off game against Palace, our biggest rivals, where we do have players who can score, when Andone is clearly coming into form and loves a scrap...we’ll, I beg to differ.

Eh? That was 5 years ago, what’s that got to do with our CURRENT form? AWAY from home? For the past TWO years? Your post makes about as much sense as saying you like vanilla ice cream so we’ll definitely win on Saturday.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Brighton players fouled Zaha seven times in the second half alone, and that's ignoring the other clear fouls that the referee failed to award.

While checking that stat I've just remembered that your first goal came from a penalty that should never have been given. What great fun!

Yes, yes, and Duffy's sending off was after a foul for a penalty which should have been given.

:yawn: :yawn: you're starting to sound like a right old cry baby, but I suppose you have learnt that from the master

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
3 things: our away form is even worse, we have strikers who on average have 1 shot (not goals) every 3 games; secondly, in Zaha they have a truly gifted player, a match winner, marquee signing call it what you want whereas we don’t - in dour scruffy derby games these players especially can make the difference with a moment of sheer brilliance, not to mention Zaha habitually does this in fixtures against us; and lastly, I’m a born pessimist when it comes to the Albion and she rarely lets me down!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Eh? That was 5 years ago, what’s that got to do with our CURRENT form? AWAY from home? For the past TWO years? Your post makes about as much sense as saying you like vanilla ice cream so we’ll definitely win on Saturday.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Tell you what mate, why don’t you just go and support someone else? Any game is a can win, this is a must win and defeatism is tantamount to treason as far as I’m concerned.

If you think Palace are that much of a terrifying prospect then we’re doomed.

Mid table strugglers is how I see them.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Tell you what mate, why don’t you just go and support someone else? Any game is a can win, this is a must win and defeatism is tantamount to treason as far as I’m concerned.

If you think Palace are that much of a terrifying prospect then we’re doomed.

Mid table strugglers is how I see them.

It’s a hard dose of reality to swallow I know, but my perspective is simply based on our away record over past 2 seasons. That’s all I’m saying as it more than suggests a likely away defeat. As for supporting another team, crickey, haven’t we all thought about that at some stage? I know I have, questioned my sanity having a ST at Gillingham and driving to Kent every fortnight especially! Then there were the years sat in the rain at Withdean. Nah, think I’ll stick with Albion thanks. We’re doing marvellously by comparison!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Apart from Mr Tumbles petulant little ankle tap on Solly, how about a straight red for the stamp on Andone after fouling him?
If Wilf is going to winge about not getting a fair shake from refs, he really shouldn’t be committing sending off offences himself, the hypocrite.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Apart from Mr Tumbles petulant little ankle tap on Solly, how about a straight red for the stamp on Andone after fouling him?
If Wilf is going to winge about not getting a fair shake from refs, he really shouldn’t be committing sending off offences himself, the hypocrite.

P1000105.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

According to the BBC, we only committed 14 fouls in the whole game. That's total fouls, not fouls on Zaha. You committed 12. Not loads in a derby match. You had 68% possession in the whole game and this number was skewed by an even higher percentage of possession in the second half when we were already 3-0 up. Not surprising that the player most likely to try to dribble past people won free kicks in this situation. I say 'won free kicks' rather than 'was fouled' because we all know that there is a difference, particularly with players who know how to win free kicks.

If you're going to use statistics to back up an argument, don't be selective in your choice of stats, or you may end up looking like you were deliberately trying to mislead. I was at the game and know that what you are suggesting didn't happen. None of your fans complained about it. Zaha didn't complain about it. Hodgson didn't complain about it. Trying to maintain that you are right and reality is wrong makes you look a little silly.

By the way. I can be honest. It shouldn't have been a penalty, nor for that matter should we have had a corner for Balogun's goal. For us, that does not detract from our pleasure. It just makes it even funnier.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

And your penalty was given for a foul on a player who shouldn’t have been still on the pitch, swings and roundabouts.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Solly owned Wilf at the Amex, no reason he can't do it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here