Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Enough. You need treatment, you go OFF.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very simple. Make matches 30 minutes each way with the ball actually in play.

And yes, that would work (it's about the amount of time the ball is in play now in 45 minute halves), and no, it wouldn't mean matches going until midnight and poor old pensioners missing their train home. It would stop cheating of the time wasting variety though.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Like many things, rugby does it better. If a player is injured, the physios come on and the play continues around them. Could be a little more difficult in football but anything which increases interest is welcome.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Like many things, rugby does it better. If a player is injured, the physios come on and the play continues around them. Could be a little more difficult in football but anything which increases interest is welcome.

Not really feasible in football though, is it. You can't very well have a crew of 3 medics in the penalty box pissing about around a player with cramp. Is he playing everyone onside ?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Agreed.

However, for balance, Montoya also went down half-dead and was then sprinting like Usain Bolt a few seconds later.

Of course that doesn’t count !
Must admit it does mar the game and refs should wake up to it.
I think that when substitutions are made that the player should walk off the pitch at the nearest point to him and when he does then the other player comes on.
The subbed player can then just walk, dawdle, crawl etc. round the outline of the pitch whilst the game continues.
Get rid of the acknowledgement bit as we can all see a substitution has been made.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Coming next: that bit from NFL, where if a player is injured and receiving treatment, all his teammates drop to one knee in a circle around him, hands on hearts.

I love a good game of American Football, but that makes me despair at our American friends.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I think we should go the way of horse racing. A player goes down lame and I'm sorry matey, it's for your own good.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Not really feasible in football though, is it. You can't very well have a crew of 3 medics in the penalty box pissing about around a player with cramp. Is he playing everyone onside ?

I think it is. I'm a huge advocate of this. Just one physio allowed though, only once called on by the ref with play continuing around them. 90% of "injuries" are nothing of the sort with players rolling around to try and get someone booked or to disrupt play. I strongly believe it would stop all this play acting and if players know staying down leaves their team with 10 men they will soon get up. If the injury is serious then the game can stop.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Agree totally.
May I add that you are not allowed to be told that you are going to be subbed off in 5 minutes so make sure you are as far away as possible so that you can take 10 minutes to get off, strange how they sprint off if they are losing.
It's cheating and it makes my piss boil.

We were brilliant at this in the championship. I don't have the gall to criticise others doing it to us now

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
The laws of the game state that a player should be assessed on the field but go off for treatment but this does not happen as they are treated on the pitch. What I would like to see is that every time play is stopped or a restart delayed for an injury, whether treated or not, the player should leave the pitch and not return until the next stoppage in play. It should be the same even if the player is being substituted.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I think we should go the way of horse racing. A player goes down lame and I'm sorry matey, it's for your own good.
That would be good. If there is any doubt the ref uses his cosh (secreted in his back pocket ) to ensure that the chap is not playacting.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This is easy to get out round.

The captain goes into the opposition dressing room at 1:30 before every game and says something along the lines of ....

"Don't believe i've had the pleasure lads, my name's Lewis. Anyway if there are any injuries in the game, we don't intend to kick the ball out for your guys to get treatment. We certainly don't intend to give it back to you if you kick it out. Feel free to do likewise. I'm sure if the ref feels there's a risk to life or health he'll stop the game. May the best team win today, and all the best for the rest of the season".

Shall we implement this AFTER our next game, don’t want to be wishing them luck for rest of season!

el punal

Totally agree; I'm sick of it too.
If it's a head injury, it's potentially dangerous so the player should come off immediately (without stopping the game), go down the tunnel and be inspected by a doctor. And then only return if he gets the all clear.
Think that might stop a few 'injuries'? Not that it would ever happen.

As in rugby with the head injury assessment(?). Off you go and not allowed back until the doc says so - mind you, with footballers, I wonder how an itchy big toe head injury will be assessed.

el punal

Sick of it.

Unless its a blatant head injury, if you're down and need the physio, then the stretcher comes on IMMEDIATELY, and off you go to the touchline until you have "recovered". I'm fed up to the back teeth with mugs like Huddersfield deliberately breaking up ALL the momentum from the game, time and time and time again, with pathetic made-up "injuries" designed purely to disrupt all flow to the game. It got to truly ridiculous levels this afternoon.

Anyone notice the miraculous LAZARUS recovery of the bloke who happened to roll off the pitch "injured" ? Being down to 10 for a bit seems to be a great healer doesn't it.

Bollocks to it. Physio's do not set FOOT on the pitch unless its a head injury. You need treatment, off you go on a buggy or a stretcher, or a horse, whatever. And the game GOES ON.

Burnley seemed to be the masters of this skullduggery (‘scuse the pun) a couple of weeks ago.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Agree, although there has been a monumental increase in "head injuries" since it became a rule that play must stop when one occurs.

Not sure what the way around that one is though.

Any player going down with a head injury is immediately substituted but it doesn't count towards the 3 subs allowed. If the subbed player is assessed as OK, then he can return but that sub does count.

Also, if an opposition player goes down with a head injury, Shane Duffy nuts them to make sure.

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
This is easy to get out round.

The captain goes into the opposition dressing room at 1:30 before every game and says something along the lines of ....

"Don't believe i've had the pleasure lads, my name's Lewis. Anyway if there are any injuries in the game, we don't intend to kick the ball out for your guys to get treatment. We certainly don't intend to give it back to you if you kick it out. Feel free to do likewise. I'm sure if the ref feels there's a risk to life or health he'll stop the game. May the best team win today, and all the best for the rest of the season".

A thousand times this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here