Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End the inverted wingers nonsense

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Knockaert's assist was a left footed cross from the left. Simple, effective. Murray is a striker who thrives on service in the box and if we had Knockaert on the left and Jahanbakhsh on the right whipping in the crosses, he'd be deadly and we'd score more goals which would help the whole team. Playing Jahanbakhsh, who looks like he could be our best player, on the left wing is totally bonkers and does no favours to anyone. Knockaert, March and Izquierdo all like playing inverted but it doesn't suit the team or Glenn Murray. So why do it?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Knockaert's assist was a left footed cross from the left. Simple, effective. Murray is a striker who thrives on service in the box and if we had Knockaert on the left and Jahanbakhsh on the right whipping in the crosses, he'd be deadly and we'd score more goals which would help the whole team. Playing Jahanbakhsh, who looks like he could be our best player, on the left wing is totally bonkers and does no favours to anyone. Knockaert, March and Izquierdo all like playing inverted but it doesn't suit the team or Glenn Murray. So why do it?

I agree , and it’s for defenders as they know they will always cut in the be on their stronger foot , rather than crossing from the byline

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hmmm. i do agree, but also i can see what they try to do. good, simple crosses in teh box is positive but can also be easy to defend and makes us dependent on one player. at this level we need to be able to take the ball through the middle, play around the edge of the box. though wingers cutting inside is also predictable. what should happen, and has in some games, is where the wingers swap - so sometimes crossing, sometimes coming inside. unsettles defenders. unfortunatly we dont actually do this much, as if Hughton isnt confident enough and so stays with one or other probably to aid our defense, because puts a lot of responsiblity on the full backs to cover more.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Inverted wingers become much more of a threat when the full back overlaps. Bernardo does it much more Montoya, but generally not as much as some teams do it.

I'm not sure Izquierdo would look that much of a threat on the right.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I actually disagree. Opposing defenders don't like playing against it and when we have Izquierdo and Jahanbaksh as the regulars in that role then both will carry a goal threat. Murray is not the future of this squad. It's in transition and we will be playing very differently as it evolves

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I actually disagree. Opposing defenders don't like playing against it and when we have Izquierdo and Jahanbaksh as the regulars in that role then both will carry a goal threat. Murray is not the future of this squad. It's in transition and we will be playing very differently as it evolves

This.

It is easier to defend against a player going down the line rather than one cutting inside.

It seemed to work well for AJ in Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Having wingers who can get an early ball into the box in a dangerous area would be an advantage

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
having a player who can cross the ball past the first defender would be good. As would a forward player, in the same time zone when he does.

Having wingers who can get an early ball into the box in a dangerous area would be an advantage

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Absolutely this whether it’s from the byline or an inverted
position balls into the box are the name of the game
I think the advantage of crosses from the byline rather than
from inside is that the defenders are facing their own goal so a lot more tricky to defend

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Interestingly though a fullback will feel more comfortable forcing a player down the line but a centreback will prefer balls that are crossed from an inverted winger as the cut inside and present the ball I front of the defenders

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having wingers who can get an early ball into the box would be an advantage

Early balls are pointless if Murray is still making his way up the pitch.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Is there any evidence to suggest that our existing wingers, playing on their 'right' side, will go past their man on the outside and whip in telling crosses?

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
It worked really well when we played two holding midfielders so the full backs could bomb on and go down the line. That was almost impossible to defend against.

Harder now the full backs dont get forward as much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Quite.

We desperately need to strengthen in this area.

I realise it’s an unpopular opinion and he has been great this season, but since Christmas he’s been struggling even more pace wise.

It is going to cost significantly to replace those goals.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Quite.

I realise it’s an unpopular opinion and he has been great this season, but since Christmas he’s been struggling even more pace wise.

I’d like to think IF we stay up that the squad now is deep enough that we can afford to go large on a goalscorer as it’s the one area that we lack depth and real quality. Murray looks tired, and will still have a part to play next season but we need a Prem ready striker not another punt from a euro league.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Quite.

I don't think it's much of an unpopular opinion anymore... It was pretty clear yesterday and in previous games that he's struggling for pace and form. As much as we all love Murray, Andone will surely start next game after his performance second half. As well as the fact he scored a wonder goal v Palace at home through sheer pace and determination (and Tomkins being sh*te)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Exactly. You’ve got to have players in the box for early crosses, we don’t set up that way. Worked yesterday because we put so much pressure on and got players in there. Even so, I do think we could play earlier balls in than we do.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There's not much point our wingers getting early balls into the box as there'd only be Murray in there against 4 defenders. It is frustrating in games like yesterday's against a packed defence though where surely the aim is to use the full width of the pitch and get in behind - but then maybe the fullbacks are the key in that situation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here