Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

End the inverted wingers nonsense

4 Not allowed!
    Knockaert's assist was a left footed cross from the left. Simple, effective. Murray is a striker who thrives on service in the box and if we had Knockaert on the left and Jahanbakhsh on the right whipping in the crosses, he'd be deadly and we'd score more goals which would help the whole team. Playing Jahanbakhsh, who looks like he could be our best player, on the left wing is totally bonkers and does no favours to anyone. Knockaert, March and Izquierdo all like playing inverted but it doesn't suit the team or Glenn Murray. So why do it?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Knockaert's assist was a left footed cross from the left. Simple, effective. Murray is a striker who thrives on service in the box and if we had Knockaert on the left and Jahanbakhsh on the right whipping in the crosses, he'd be deadly and we'd score more goals which would help the whole team. Playing Jahanbakhsh, who looks like he could be our best player, on the left wing is totally bonkers and does no favours to anyone. Knockaert, March and Izquierdo all like playing inverted but it doesn't suit the team or Glenn Murray. So why do it?
      I agree , and it’s for defenders as they know they will always cut in the be on their stronger foot , rather than crossing from the byline

0 Not allowed!
      The idea is that they have a better chance of scoring with their stronger foot.

Sometimes it works. March got at least one that way from the top of my head, as has Knocky, Ali J nearly got one today.

Don't disagree with you though.
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      hmmm. i do agree, but also i can see what they try to do. good, simple crosses in teh box is positive but can also be easy to defend and makes us dependent on one player. at this level we need to be able to take the ball through the middle, play around the edge of the box. though wingers cutting inside is also predictable. what should happen, and has in some games, is where the wingers swap - so sometimes crossing, sometimes coming inside. unsettles defenders. unfortunatly we dont actually do this much, as if Hughton isnt confident enough and so stays with one or other probably to aid our defense, because puts a lot of responsiblity on the full backs to cover more.
      The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Inverted wingers become much more of a threat when the full back overlaps. Bernardo does it much more Montoya, but generally not as much as some teams do it.

I'm not sure Izquierdo would look that much of a threat on the right.
      Coming For That No.1 Spot GoingUp's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      At times Knocky and Ali were both on the left which I thought was strange, even Murray drifted out wide today a couple times.
      Members

4 Not allowed!
      I actually disagree. Opposing defenders don't like playing against it and when we have Izquierdo and Jahanbaksh as the regulars in that role then both will carry a goal threat. Murray is not the future of this squad. It's in transition and we will be playing very differently as it evolves
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NooBHA View Post
      I actually disagree. Opposing defenders don't like playing against it and when we have Izquierdo and Jahanbaksh as the regulars in that role then both will carry a goal threat. Murray is not the future of this squad. It's in transition and we will be playing very differently as it evolves
      This.

It is easier to defend against a player going down the line rather than one cutting inside.

It seemed to work well for AJ in Holland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Having wingers who can get an early ball into the box in a dangerous area would be an advantage

5 Not allowed!
      having a player who can cross the ball past the first defender would be good. As would a forward player, in the same time zone when he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkino View Post
      Having wingers who can get an early ball into the box in a dangerous area would be an advantage
      It's all a load of bollocks