Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] End the inverted wingers nonsense

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It worked really well when we played two holding midfielders so the full backs could bomb on and go down the line. That was almost impossible to defend against.

Harder now the full backs dont get forward as much.

Is it that hard to defend against in the Premier League? Any half decent and tall defender will see it coming some way off especially if it’s done repeatedly. Crosses are good but if they’re often repeated they become much less effective and way more predictable and easy to deal with.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
As we know only too well, our movement going forward is pedestrian at times which gives our wingers problems, they are hardly ever clear enough of the nearest defender when trying to cross into the box hence it usually gets blocked.

Our goal yesterday was all about speed and quick thinking, allowing Knocky to have the space for a clear and accurate cross into Andone for a fabulously headed goal by the maestro :albion2:

Albion need to buy quality midfield choices in the summer, and a striker or two for when the legend that is Glenn Murray finally hangs up his boots.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I’d like to think IF we stay up that the squad now is deep enough that we can afford to go large on a goalscorer as it’s the one area that we lack depth and real quality. Murray looks tired, and will still have a part to play next season but we need a Prem ready striker not another punt from a euro league.
Mitrovic

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If the OP is going to use a match against Huddersfield to back up his argument perhaps the game at Huddersfield could be used to counter it...Solly March two assists from the right..or does memory fail me

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
One brilliant moment, fine. But where would you have been if it had finished 1-1? Nowhere. Because it's another game where we've not created anything from open play. Jahanbakhsh found himself on the right wing once, and fired off a brilliant shot. He's quite clearly a danger, but playing him on the wrong side is a ridiculous waste of time.

We're lucky to get the win today, considering the performance. If we are going to persist with inverted wingers, we really need more than one wonder goal every season to justify it. We've got Murray in the box who is brilliant in the air, and genuinely good wingers who would be so productive whipping balls in for him to attack, but instead we choose to be blunt in the hope that we might get a wondergoal out of absolutely nowhere.

Bottom line for me is using our record signing in a position which gets the most out of him. Izquierdo's a different story, he's a left winger who is right footed. Jahanbakhsh is a right winger who should be playing on that side. I loved Knockaert in the Championship but he's not really justified himself in the Premier League - today was pretty good though! :albion2:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
One brilliant moment, fine. But where would you have been if it had finished 1-1? Nowhere. Because it's another game where we've not created anything from open play. Jahanbakhsh found himself on the right wing once, and fired off a brilliant shot. He's quite clearly a danger, but playing him on the wrong side is a ridiculous waste of time.

We're lucky to get the win today, considering the performance. If we are going to persist with inverted wingers, we really need more than one wonder goal every season to justify it. We've got Murray in the box who is brilliant in the air, and genuinely good wingers who would be so productive whipping balls in for him to attack, but instead we choose to be blunt in the hope that we might get a wondergoal out of absolutely nowhere.

Bottom line for me is using our record signing in a position which gets the most out of him. Izquierdo's a different story, he's a left winger who is right footed. Jahanbakhsh is a right winger who should be playing on that side. I loved Knockaert in the Championship but he's not really justified himself in the Premier League - today was pretty good though! :albion2:

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Ok, mate.

Jimmy Grimble

[emoji23][emoji23]takes a brave/foolish man to defend that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here