Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jahanbakhsh - best game to date?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
That moment when he hoofed the ball up into the air and we all went “oh, FFSaaaake!!” But then it plopped down perfectly at his feet so he could continue his attacking run, and we all went “oh, WOOOWWWWWW!!!”

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have said in other threads he will be a regular once he has a run of games in the team if he avoids injuries - Apparently a natural finisher as well although fans haven't seen that side of him in match play time yet but the ''tom tom drums '' suggesting he is an excellent player

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He is a right footed winger, he should be playing wide right. If we played him wide right he would be in his element and we'd see just how good this fella is. He's obviously a class act and he should play in his strongest position. Montoya would also benefit from having a winger like him in front of him, rather than a Knockaert/March who drift inside and all over the place.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That moment when he hoofed the ball up into the air and we all went “oh, FFSaaaake!!” But then it plopped down perfectly at his feet so he could continue his attacking run, and we all went “oh, WOOOWWWWWW!!!”

Yeah that was very funny.

He is a right footed winger, he should be playing wide right. If we played him wide right he would be in his element and we'd see just how good this fella is. He's obviously a class act and he should play in his strongest position. Montoya would also benefit from having a winger like him in front of him, rather than a Knockaert/March who drift inside and all over the place.

....but as funny as it was his best moment was when he cut inside and hit the bar. Personally I don't think you should throw that away. Everyone knows CH plays inverted wingers but you've still got to stop them and the rest of the team also know where to be. We'd need to change approach completely and get more players in to the box if we just used players on their own side and expected them to get to the byeline all the time.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
He was my MOM for us today and was shocked to see him subbed instead of Knocky, only for Knocky to then put in a rare sublime cross for the goal ! He certainly did enough to retain his place in the team at Palace next week.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's going to be interesting to see how the competition for places in the wing position goes for the rest of the season. There are 6 you could make a case for starting in the 2 wide positions. I'll try for each

Ali J = His best performance of the season today, if he can get a run of games he could show why some seem to rate him so highly.
Knocky = Awesome work rate, clear passion, proven to score and create goals. Though capable of the odd shocking display and some disciplinary issues which make you wonder whether he's all there. In my opinion, the best out of our wide options
March = Our best winger in the first half of the season, though clearly struggles for consistency and I think confidence. Needs to take a chance if he gets one over the rest of the season or risks slipping down the order.
Izquierdo = Capable of utterly wasteful finishing. I would have taken a very dim view of his shot today had Andone not scored. Though he's a great outlet for the ball over the top and he just seems to manage to make things happen
Locadia = Had an encouraging spell in the team and got a couple of goals. I'm not truly convinced he is a wide man and maybe he should be up front or not in the team. When he's bad, he's really bad.
Gyokeres = Was lively whilst in the team in the cup games, got himself into some great positions. Needs goals and assists on his CV if he's going to make a challenge for a league place.

In summary, Knocky and Izquierdo for me. Ali J first off the bench

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Definitely up there with propper as mom contender until taken off but I have a slightly different point to make.

Lots of comments on here and in media (aspinal etc.) about our ‘big money’ signings and whether they are good enough.

It seems to me that £15-20m in today’s market is not a marquee signing. For that you have to go £30m+ and even then it is a bargain if it works out well below £50m.

I know it sounds ridiculous and tbh it is. But that’s the market.

Our fan base appears to firmly believe that at £15-20m, our signings should be tearing up the league and that simply isn’t the case.

None have really set the world alight and yet, for me, Izzy, Jahanbakhsh and Locadia have all done ok in spells and imo are about right for the price tag (more so Izzy and Ali).

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
TV commentator here thought Stephens was outstanding in the second half.
He was excellent. Chris must have had a word at half time because he was awful in the first half.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Definitely up there with propper as mom contender until taken off but I have a slightly different point to make.

Lots of comments on here and in media (aspinal etc.) about our ‘big money’ signings and whether they are good enough.

It seems to me that £15-20m in today’s market is not a marquee signing. For that you have to go £30m+ and even then it is a bargain if it works out well below £50m.

I know it sounds ridiculous and tbh it is. But that’s the market.

Our fan base appears to firmly believe that at £15-20m, our signings should be tearing up the league and that simply isn’t the case.

None have really set the world alight and yet, for me, Izzy, Jahanbakhsh and Locadia have all done ok in spells and imo are about right for the price tag (more so Izzy and Ali).

I agree, but now we have raised the general quality of the squad with a number of £10m+ signings, is it time to spend the transfer budget on just 1 or 2 £30m marquee players who will bring the quality needed to push on to the next level? Or does our wage structure preclude us from ever buying at that level?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Thought he played very well today, showed us what he can do. Hopefully more of that to come.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Mmmm, he sees good passes quickly, sometimes without it being noticed. I thought he was great all day. He also showed some trickery and determination. I would have liked to have seen Stephens taken off for Izquierdo, and Ali J brought into the middle with Izzy out wide but what do I know? Stephens would have cost us goals with his crappy passing and slowness today were we playing someone other than the very shittest side I have seen all season. I normally like Stephens, too.

Totally the opposite to me. Thought Stephens was brilliant [emoji2].....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I agree, but now we have raised the general quality of the squad with a number of £10m+ signings, is it time to spend the transfer budget on just 1 or 2 £30m marquee players who will bring the quality needed to push on to the next level? Or does our wage structure preclude us from ever buying at that level?

Good point. Whether or not we can afford to focus on a marquee signing in the summer (IF we stay up) is still influenced by the activity of other teams, both in the bottom half of the table and from the promoted 3. Although having said that, Fulham have shown that a big spend doesn’t guarantee survival.

If we did concentrate our resources, the combination of wage structure and the ‘no dickheads’ rule might constrict our chances.

Personally, I’m happy with the current approach. I think bissouma could go on to be a league beater and he is the kind of bet I think we should be taking. Taking bets on promising youth rather than big money signings seems like the best option available to us right now.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Warren Aspinall was on Five Live around 12:45 today talking to Mark Chapman and Alistair Bruce-Ball and he was pretty damning about the Izquierdo, Locadia and Jahanbakhsh signings and their lack of impact given the money spent.

Jahanbakhsh stepped up today, I thought, and showed some real glimpses of quality. Like many around me, I thought Hughton was getting it wrong taking him off and leaving Knockaert on, as the latter had not really threatened in the same way. The sulky Frenchmen then went on to deliver the cross for Andone to score, of course.

Regardless, Jahanbakhsh did enough to suggest he's got something to offer.

Tough league to get up and running in....stay up this season and next season our season 2 players will be on FIRE!

So pleased with the performance and result today...... well done lads!

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here