Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why were Huddersfield playing for a draw?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wait till Cardiff come to town if you were upset by Huddersfield's gamesmanship.

It'll be an ugly, attritional, tedious Warnock special with outrageous timewasting from the first whistle, as per the last time, they played at the Amex.

Exactly.

When Wnkr Warnock was appointed Cardiff boss, he ordered all of that in their visit to the Amex. Almost admitting as much beforehand. Throw ins took forever. We scored, destroying his anti football.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I thought they played our game and style of football

You can see why they have struggled, when they do get the ball, the creativity is not there.

Regarding the time wasting, I saw Montoya get shot from the stands in the second half, and it was touch and go that he would survive..the complete and utter shyster( who misses basic penalties) waved play on..and Lo, he rose from his deathbed, to sprint like Ussian ****ing Bolt down the wing.

The town centre forward falling over having being shot from the same sniper, again makes a Lazarus recovery.

Modern football is full of blatant cheats!

I am not sure they were time wasting, they were just a poor side with no real idea how to break us down...in fact you could have said thta about us as at times we were really clueless.

Fantastic 3 points though all the same.

Whilst I agree that modern football is riven with cheating ,I'm not sure how you missed the blatant time wasting by Hudds yesterday. Players were falling over constantly, every time we built momentum. To cap it all the incident where one of their players collapsed in a heap and the keeper instantly kicked it out which seemed like a well rehearsed waste of a couple of minutes. Said player then gets up and we give the ball back to them. Ridiculous that Dein didn't put a stop to it. Unfortunately this kind of behaviour is incentivised by weak refs not adding on time.Two minutes at the end of the first half when that cricket style drinks break must have taken at least five !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whilst I agree that modern football is riven with cheating ,I'm not sure how you missed the blatant time wasting by Hudds yesterday. Players were falling over constantly, every time we built momentum. To cap it all the incident where one of their players collapsed in a heap and the keeper instantly kicked it out which seemed like a well rehearsed waste of a couple of minutes. Said player then gets up and we give the ball back to them. Ridiculous that Dein didn't put a stop to it. Unfortunately this kind of behaviour is incentivised by weak refs not adding on time.Two minutes at the end of the first half when that cricket style drinks break must have taken at least five !

I did see the time wasting .... but every game we see it and we do it away from home too, people come on here bleating about it

It is modern football

Most players are cheats....we see it week in week out.

The game has changed out of all proportion.

If we are talking about time wasting, how long did Bassouma take to wander off the field? But that is ok as it is our player

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Huddersfield played like most sides in the bottom six or seven do away from home, soak up the pressure and try to hit on the break. Let's be honest they worked our keeper more than we did in the first half.
I noticed at the end of the game several Huddersfield players looked genuinely gutted to have lost, so I'd say they still have some passion about themselves. Yes, they are down but I can see them picking up a few points between now and the end of the season, hopefully in our favour.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I did see the time wasting .... but every game we see it and we do it away from home too, people come on here bleating about it

It is modern football

Most players are cheats....we see it week in week out.

The game has changed out of all proportion.

If we are talking about time wasting, how long did Bassouma take to wander off the field? But that is ok as it is our player

No, it is OK because it is karma for previous Huddersfield time wasting. Their players stopped collapsing after we scored so they got what they deserved.
I accept your point about modern footballers which is why I don't buy into the over the top criticism of Zaha. Some of ours are just as bad. However, Huddersfield yesterday took collapsing to the floor when the opposition has the ball to a new low. It needs calling out without whataboutery because it is anti football and the extent of it was ridiculous. It needs to be identified and stopped but with the low calibre of premier league referees at the moment I don't hold out much hope.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, it is OK because it is karma for previous Huddersfield time wasting. Their players stopped collapsing after we scored so they got what they deserved.
I accept your point about modern footballers which is why I don't buy into the over the top criticism of Zaha. Some of ours are just as bad. However, Huddersfield yesterday took collapsing to the floor when the opposition has the ball to a new low. It needs calling out without whataboutery because it is anti football and the extent of it was ridiculous. It needs to be identified and stopped but with the low calibre of premier league referees at the moment I don't hold out much hope.

So here we are on NSC taking the moral high ground, when you just say ...well they did is so should we?

Bottom line is you do not combat cheats by cheating yourself.

Basically we are in agreement...something needs to happen, but when pundits come out on MOTD and say about dubious penalties.." he played for that" or " there was contact with his finger nail " or managers refusing to acknowledge that their players cheated...Dyche is the classic one for that...then this is what we are having to put up with and why traditional football supporters are leaving the game and it isn't becoming a tourist sport not aimed sit traditional fans.

We all support our team and think they can do no wrong when it is obvious they have, and that will never change.

We just have to put up with it.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
They did EXACTLY the same when we were in the Championship. You may remember, we were 10-12 games into the season and they arrived as the team top of the table. We (well I) envisaged a rattling good game between two of the divisions early pacesetters, but no. They set up to contain, they fell around, took an AGE over every set piece, set out to frustrate, spoil, fake injury and grind out a 0-0. It made for a dog of a game. Except with a few minutes to go, their keeper let a tame Knockaert shot slip under him for 1-0.

Just like today, they got nothing. They DESERVED nothing.

You'd think they'd have learned. Obviously not.

Another game against Cardiff comes to mind also. Think it was Kenwyne Jones beat our keeper to a ball to head them 1-0 Infront. Cue the horrendous time wasting shithousery for the last 80mins and an unbelievable performance from their keeper. Think we equalised right near the end if I remember rightly but it made for a painful watch

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Huddersfield played like most sides in the bottom six or seven do away from home, soak up the pressure and try to hit on the break. Let's be honest they worked our keeper more than we did in the first half.
I noticed at the end of the game several Huddersfield players looked genuinely gutted to have lost, so I'd say they still have some passion about themselves. Yes, they are down but I can see them picking up a few points between now and the end of the season, hopefully in our favour.

They were gutted because they genuinly thought they could beat us - which is an indicator of how far we've fallen off the pace in the last few weeks.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They were defending deep, denying us space (at times they had 8 in their own penalty area) so it was all about preventing us from scoring first and foremost

It may be that they know that they struggle for goals, so conceding 1 or more makes a win extremely unlikely for them so that's why they approached it with an ultra cautious, keep it tight and slow the game down approach, looking to hit us on the break to pinch a goal and a sneaky win.

The time wasting could have simply been, tactically, to try to slow any momentum we had been building and to give their players a quick break

It's how a lot of teams in this division would play against a top six side, defend and keep the scores level (or only go 1 behind) and the try to get a goal yourself on the break (teams with 22% possession or less have won games in this league with this approach, normally 1-0)

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Time wasting in the first half was laughable, and a risky tactic that does not always come off. Like yesterday. :)

The fake injury "phantom sniper' dives were just embarrassing. They deserved to lose just on this IMO.

Three lovely points for us and good practice for the Cardiff game. :albion2:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They were gutted because they genuinly thought they could beat us - which is an indicator of how far we've fallen off the pace in the last few weeks.

There’s truth in that. Bogbrush and co confidently strolling around from the off, as if they were going to brush aside an out of sorts Albion. Loved it how it ended in tears for them. Goodbye Hudd.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just to re-iterate after receiving a pm on here this morning... sussexnomad on their board is not me. It prompted me to go have a look. Grammar and spelling is piss poor, I'm embarrassed.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So here we are on NSC taking the moral high ground, when you just say ...well they did is so should we?

Bottom line is you do not combat cheats by cheating yourself.

Basically we are in agreement...something needs to happen, but when pundits come out on MOTD and say about dubious penalties.." he played for that" or " there was contact with his finger nail " or managers refusing to acknowledge that their players cheated...Dyche is the classic one for that...then this is what we are having to put up with and why traditional football supporters are leaving the game and it isn't becoming a tourist sport not aimed sit traditional fans.

We all support our team and think they can do no wrong when it is obvious they have, and that will never change.

We just have to put up with it.

yep, although I celebrated Andone's goal just a little more enthusiastically than usual given the Hudds time wasting.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yep, although I celebrated Andone's goal just a little more enthusiastically than usual given the Hudds time wasting.

To be fair as did I, even though Huddersfield is my home town team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here