Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Free Solo on TV this week

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Oscar winning documentary that received rave reviews is airing on the National Geographic channel several times this week (starting 2am tonight, then 8pm tomorrow, then throughout the week). It follows the attempts of climber Alex Honnold to scale Yosemite's El Capitan without ropes or safety gear.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Watch it on the biggest screen you can!

I might be biased as a climber myself but this is by far the most gripping film I’ve ever watched. Brilliantly filmed and edited and I was sweating at the cinema watching it.

Can’t recommend it enough.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I saw it last week, it's a superb.
As said then the in-depth look at one move was heartstopping

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Set to record tonight.

Thanks for the heads up

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Watch it on the biggest screen you can!

I might be biased as a climber myself but this is by far the most gripping film I’ve ever watched. Brilliantly filmed and edited and I was sweating at the cinema watching it.

Can’t recommend it enough.
Can't wait for this. I started climbing when I was 10 and by 17 I was pretty good. Reason I moved to Sheffield. Had periods out of it and a really bad injury but it still sucks me back in even though I'm too old and heavy to do anything interesting these days. Love taking my son to the bouldering wall even though he's getting to the stage where he'll burn me off soon.

It can't be explained to someone who's never climbed just what a ridiculous thing soloing Freerider is. Although apparently this film does a great job of doing just that. It's completely mind blowing and even the few clips I've seen have got the palms soaked.

Shouldn't be forgotten that this is the greatest in an amazing list of routes that Honnold has soloed. Things that nobody else would even consider doing.

A few mates of mine have climbed with AH and they say they've never known anyone like him (despite climbing with all the best). He's not the strongest, he's not the most powerful, he's not even the fittest. But they said he has control like nobody else on the planet. The best technique perhaps of any climber ever.

I just hope he stays safe as I've lost a few great friends to doing what he does (not at the same level obviously). But I think he's the most likely to survive in a funny way because he's that good.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Mmmmmm. Felicity Kendal.

71QViYSvdtL._SY445_.jpg

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can't wait for this. I started climbing when I was 10 and by 17 I was pretty good. Reason I moved to Sheffield. Had periods out of it and a really bad injury but it still sucks me back in even though I'm too old and heavy to do anything interesting these days. Love taking my son to the bouldering wall even though he's getting to the stage where he'll burn me off soon.

It can't be explained to someone who's never climbed just what a ridiculous thing soloing Freerider is. Although apparently this film does a great job of doing just that. It's completely mind blowing and even the few clips I've seen have got the palms soaked.

Shouldn't be forgotten that this is the greatest in an amazing list of routes that Honnold has soloed. Things that nobody else would even consider doing.

A few mates of mine have climbed with AH and they say they've never known anyone like him (despite climbing with all the best). He's not the strongest, he's not the most powerful, he's not even the fittest. But they said he has control like nobody else on the planet. The best technique perhaps of any climber ever.

I just hope he stays safe as I've lost a few great friends to doing what he does (not at the same level obviously). But I think he's the most likely to survive in a funny way because he's that good.

My old climbing partner’s comment was “I had to chalk up a few times”. Shows just how incredible the film is. Even though we know the outcome, it’s still terrifying to watch.

Like you have said of yourself, my best days are behind me. My son has already surpassed my best. He’s also had a bigger ground fall than I’ve ever managed!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My old climbing partner’s comment was “I had to chalk up a few times”. Shows just how incredible the film is. Even though we know the outcome, it’s still terrifying to watch.

Like you have said of yourself, my best days are behind me. My son has already surpassed my best. He’s also had a bigger ground fall than I’ve ever managed!
Do you get out on the Southern Sandstone? Not been for years but that used to be my manor. High Rocks in particular but pretty much everywhere, two or three times a week.

Mostly just bumble about indoors now after I smashed my heel to bits in Font a few years ago! Fortunately we have The Climbing Works about 5 mins from my house, which is brilliant.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Do you get out on the Southern Sandstone? Not been for years but that used to be my manor. High Rocks in particular but pretty much everywhere, two or three times a week.

Mostly just bumble about indoors now after I smashed my heel to bits in Font a few years ago! Fortunately we have The Climbing Works about 5 mins from my house, which is brilliant.

Not been to the sandstone for a few years now, and was embarassed at how rusty I was when I last did go! There was a time when I could be found at Bowles most Sundays plus various locations on rotation on Wednesdays with the climbing club (Mid Sussex Crag & Peak).

Not sure which wall my friend goes to in Sheffield, but he still climbs as hard as ever. He moved up to Worksop when he became a teacher. I think it might be the Works that he talks about.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s making me feel quite ill. Incredible.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
WOW thanks for the heads up. Looked it up during a commercial break and started on it after the Everton game. Just got hooked. And I didn't know the outcome.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Absolutely brilliant. Best climbing film I've seen by miles and well deserving of the Oscar.

I think I said "****ing hell!" about 25 times when he actually went for it.

To put it into perspective, Freerider's hardest sections are (route grade) 7c / 7c+. That's really quite hard and something that probably 90% of climbers would never do. In one pitch, with a rope.

The idea of climbing that grade 2000ft off the deck and having done so much hard climbing to get there is just mind blowing.

I think the traverse pitch got me the most. Walking up a staircase with that level of exposure would freak me out, even if I was clipped in.

I've done a fair bit of soloing in the past and yes, when you're completely in control it's an amazing feeling. But what Honnold has done is beyond my comprehension.

Bloody hell.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Really want to see this. I have t climbed regularly for the last three years but used to go nearly every day. Harrison’s Rocks in good weather, High Sports or Guildford Uni in winter.
Reduced to a bit of wall climbing and bouldering in Shoreham.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Really want to see this. I have t climbed regularly for the last three years but used to go nearly every day. Harrison’s Rocks in good weather, High Sports or Guildford Uni in winter.
Reduced to a bit of wall climbing and bouldering in Shoreham.

I climbed Harrison's Rocks on a school trip to Burwash back in '72

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I climbed Harrison's Rocks on a school trip to Burwash back in '72

They were just putting your blue plaque up last time I was there :)

I liked it there, lovely woods and a reservoir to swim in after climbing. Lovely days in the mid 90’s,driving there in my mate’s Morris Minor with beers and food.

It was on a swim there I first found out my mate Paddy wore his mother’s Sloggi knickers for comfort when climbing. Funny chap. Great bloke. He moved to Bristol for the climbing and rave scene and we lost touch.

Last edited:

Zawn Kellys

Feb 14, 2012
I saw this the other day at the cinema - absolutely unbelievable.
As one of Honnold's buddies (one of the world's best climbers himself) said in the film, its like he's doing the very best gold medal olympic sport, but if he makes a mistake, he'll die!
Definitely recommend watching. Also, best on a big screen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here