Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Huddersfield Town *** Official Match Thread ***

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We were playing 451. WTF? The most defensive setup we've ever had, at home to the worst team in the league. I wonder if recent results have put Chris off the attacking football we had been trying.

We were playing 4-5-1 and it was blindingly obvious that it wasn't working. Obvious to most people anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Being an ex pro means absolutely nothing - see Merson, Savage, Shearer etc. And to be honest, the ones today don’t know a lot, they regularly got the players names wrong for both sides today.

A couple of times the commentator said Stephens did something and it was a completely different player. Stephens was ok today but certainly nothing special. Tony Gale is particularly dreadful.

They might well be rubbish as commentators but they see stuff you and I don't . (Unless you are so brilliant, you see everything that us mere mortals miss)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I'm not sure if Murray has "had his time" yet. It's possible, but it's also possible that his form will pick up out of nowhere.

One things for sure though - he has lost his mojo. He's not even drawing fouls anymore. He missed a couple of sitters at Leicester. That's basically his strong points nullified and he offered nothing today. He needs a rest.

He will be WELL up for Palace if he plays and he has a habit of scoring against his former clubs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We were playing 4-5-1 and it was blindingly obvious that it wasn't working. Obvious to most people anyway.
Presumably Chris disagrees.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My football knowledge is quite brilliant actually.

And anyway, I certainly know the difference between a Stephens and a Duffy and a Knockaert and an Andone unlike those 2 chumps yesterday.

Modest too !:clap2:
Perhaps CH would be glad of your advice?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
If you think Stephens was immense then I would say you are also somewhat biased. Very noticeable that you are defending him every game and critical of those that do not share your view.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Well quite a lot of people agree that Stephen's had a great game - theses are from the first page of the player ratings thread:
R
Stephens 8.5 MOTM, disciplined, intelligent positioning, great tackling defensively. On the ball calm and clever, moved possession with good purpose. Frequently received the ball under pressure and didn't panic, very impressive.

Stephens 8

Stephens 9(MotM)

Wholeheartedly agree. Today was Dale at his best, a highly capable player, and certainly not the useless dud that many insist he has always been.

Stephens 8.5 MotM -- glad to see that I'm not the only one to notice just what he did; best game he's had in a long time

Stephens - 8

Doesn't matter how well Stephens can play, some seem to have a score cap of 6 for him.

He was outstanding today. My MOTM.

To be fair there was also this...

No idea what game you guys who gave Stephens good scores were watching. He had an extremely poor game. Constantly passing backwards or sideways when forward options available, very poor passing on a number of occasions including straight to an opponent, and a complete failure to control the ball three or four times. When I do my scores I'll probably give him a generous 4. Our worst player today by a country mile.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I expect a slightly more adventurous approach if we get another win under our belts or even possibly at Palace on Saturday.

I'd be surprised if we look to take the match to Palace given that they seem to be widely regarded as a counter attacking team these days. I expect Chris will opt for the familiar away strategy of defence first, whether we like it or not.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Was also putting some Vicks on his chest before the match, maybe got a cold or bug?
On a number of occasions I've seen a few of the players pre-match either getting some Vicks, or a belt of smelling salts... maybe it is to ensure they are fully alert and focused on the match/tactics (and not so distracted by Hughton's typical pitch-side histrionics).

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Well quite a lot of people agree that Stephen's had a great game - theses are from the first page of the player ratings thread:

To be fair there was also this...
Haha, someone with time on their hands. I wouldn't have the patience to do that let alone the fingers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was also putting some Vicks on his chest before the match, maybe got a cold or bug?

Yes, I saw that on the match highlights (strange thing to include in a 16 minute clip).

On a number of occasions I've seen a few of the players pre-match either getting some Vicks, or a belt of smelling salts... maybe it is to ensure they are fully alert and focused on the match/tactics (and not so distracted by Hughton's typical pitch-side histrionics).

It's very common and been happening for years - it's Vicks (other branded menthol solutions are available obviously) and just helps keep the airways open.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
No I stand up for those who are irrationally singled out as weak links. Bong, and Stephens who is this season's Barnes.

If we do as many on this forum want, misguided as it is, we will get relegated. He is a limited player who performs that limited role exceptionally well. It will take serious investment to replace him in that position with someone who is as good AND can offer more.

I don't suppose you noticed how the game changed yesterday after Hogg was taken off injured, another very limited player.
Well at the end of the day it's an opinion. You or I have no say in the team selection and as I said earlier we only get a 90 minute glimpse whereas Chris works closely with the team. If he picks Stephens then it's for a reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here