Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Questionnaire for Brighton fans on the significance of football stadium names

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it will still be called the Amex now for the forseeable future even if we get another sponsor. I still think of Bolton’s stadium as the Reebok and I’m not sure it’s been that for years.

Quite. And the Huddersfield stadium is The McCain. Like an oven chip. And hopefully they will have had their chips tomorrow. Tish Boom (etc etc).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And one more. I get the gist of the survey - do we prefer a local stadium for local people or a corporate moneyfest for the wider audience, but I don't think this applies to B&HA as the two stadia are geographically miles apart and the Goldstone Ground was demolished years before the Amex was built. Had the Amex been built on the same site as the Goldstone, then there would be a conflict of interest between the oldies harking back to the glory days and the newbies who only knew the new stadium.

(Shouldn't you be trying to find a cure for cancer or something?).

I'm an oldie but I don't recall any glory days. Division three south?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Amex sounds better than Falmer which has always sounded a bit ‘gardening centre’ for my liking. Would been great if been built at Toads Hole. “Gaaan Dan The Toad Satday?”

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Done.

I couldn't add it in the survey, but if the stadium wasn't called the Amex and we didn't find an alternative corporate sponsor, then it would have probably ended up as something like the 'Falmer Community Stadium'. Which doesn't seem right as most of the Falmer community fought til the end not to have it built in their back yard and still dislike the club because of the additional traffic/chaos it brings to the surrounding area every match day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasn’t Huddersfield’s called the McAlpine? I think Scarborough’s ground was the McCain.

Never spoil a good story with inconvenient facts.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Done.

I couldn't add it in the survey, but if the stadium wasn't called the Amex and we didn't find an alternative corporate sponsor, then it would have probably ended up as something like the 'Falmer Community Stadium'. Which doesn't seem right as most of the Falmer community fought til the end not to have it built in their back yard and still dislike the club because of the additional traffic/chaos it brings to the surrounding area every match day.

Having considered this for some time, I would have gone for 'Scoomber's You want some ? Stadium'

and Done

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Done.

When the Amex sponsorship isn't used (for internationals, for instance, and when we get into the Champions League) it's the "Brighton and Hove Community Stadium" isn't it?

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
And one more. I get the gist of the survey - do we prefer a local stadium for local people or a corporate moneyfest for the wider audience, but I don't think this applies to B&HA as the two stadia are geographically miles apart and the Goldstone Ground was demolished years before the Amex was built. Had the Amex been built on the same site as the Goldstone, then there would be a conflict of interest between the oldies harking back to the glory days and the newbies who only knew the new stadium.

(Shouldn't you be trying to find a cure for cancer or something?).

Nothing about cancer in a Human Geography degree, unfortunately!

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
When the Amex sponsorship isn't used (for internationals, for instance, and when we get into the Champions League) it's the "Brighton and Hove Community Stadium" isn't it?

Is it? I can't remember what it was called last time I went to a non-Albion game there. Loving the optimism re: champions league though!!

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has completed the questionnaire. Great response so far. Congrats on the big win today, enjoy your evening!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here