Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Questionnaire for Brighton fans on the significance of football stadium names

Fraserja

Feb 26, 2019
No because it was a run down shit hole in the end with no real prospects of being redeveloped into a sizeable modern stadium due to it's position with houses behind the East Terrace BUT it was sold off by asset strippers and turned into a shopping centre. For that reason it was our spiritual home when we were forced to play at Gillingham and then an athletics track at Withdean. Many fans refused to even drive past it until the Amex was built many years later. The Amex is fantastic but is not really ideally situated and I guess we would never have got a stadium like that if we hadn't been fleeced by Archer and Stanley and Tony Bloom wasn't our fairy godfather, taking over the reigns from the magnificent Dick Knight :bowdown:

The Goldstone still has a place in my heart although this is just my opinion btw :thumbsup:

Appreciate your comments!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Done
As has been said, the last question needs other options. Had the new ground been called Falmer for a season or two then maybe that would have stuck despite the sponsorship.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Done, but with the last question beware that I was forced to choose.

I wouldn't prefer the Goldstone Ground because that ground is dead and gone. Could it have been called The New Goldstone? Maybe. And maybe I'd have chosen that option.

I still prefer the Goldstone because it's what I fell in love with. Particularly the terraces, and the associated atmosphere.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Done, as a point of interest do any of you think there’s any significance in the stadium name?

Done.

No. I am 'team Amex' because they are historically local and (more to the point) they bung the club lots of money without being embarrassing. I would be less enamoured if our stadium were called (local but...) the 'Nice 'n Naughty' sex shop stadium (although....if the money was right...) or (not local, and shite) the 32Red or Quick-quid stadium.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Had the ground ever previously had a geographical or traditional name I suspect we'd feel somewhat differently. If the Goldstone Ground had been renamed 'The Nobo Ring', for example, I imagine most of us would have continued to call it The Goldstone.

Thought that was an important point not captured by your questions - good luck.
I wonder what people would call the stadium if a new sponsor took over? Would people accept the new name or revert to Falmer? Or even continue to call it The Amex?

I suppose it would depend on the new sponsor but could it even be like the Booker prize where the original sponsor was so synonymous with the prize that the new sponsor had to keep them in the name and so it became the Man Booker prize and so the new name would be the Nobo Amex?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Done.

No. I am 'team Amex' because they are historically local and (more to the point) they bung the club lots of money without being embarrassing. I would be less enamoured if our stadium were called (local but...) the 'Nice 'n Naughty' sex shop stadium (although....if the money was right...) or (not local, and shite) the 32Red or Quick-quid stadium.

I think it will still be called the Amex now for the forseeable future even if we get another sponsor. I still think of Bolton’s stadium as the Reebok and I’m not sure it’s been that for years.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Thanks for completing it and for the feedback. I understand where you are coming from but it is just a choice of preference. The Goldstone is gone but did you prefer that stadium to the one you are in now?

This is a bit of a difficult one to answer yes/no. Did I like standing on the terraces with my dad and friends in its heyday yea I did but I did not like what the stadium had become. By the time we left it was falling apart, needed a lot of money spent on it and big areas were closed due to safety issues it would also have been very hard to expand it without buying out the residents behind the East terraces. The Amex is an amazing stadium in comparison.

On the subject of naming a new stadium in some ways a sponsor stops all the arguments over what we should have called it. I for one would not want to call it Falmer.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
I would not even identify as working class.

Yet, I feel as though the working class have been partly robbed of a pastime due to corporates identifying correctly that they would profit from the sport.

Had our club been bought out by multi millionaire Sheikh I would immediately lose interest.

Some may call that part time passion and almost unrelated to the questionnaire. Those who identify with the same belief will probably agree wholly.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
And one more. I get the gist of the survey - do we prefer a local stadium for local people or a corporate moneyfest for the wider audience, but I don't think this applies to B&HA as the two stadia are geographically miles apart and the Goldstone Ground was demolished years before the Amex was built. Had the Amex been built on the same site as the Goldstone, then there would be a conflict of interest between the oldies harking back to the glory days and the newbies who only knew the new stadium.

(Shouldn't you be trying to find a cure for cancer or something?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here