Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Have we used up all our luck this season?

The GIF dude

Mar 22, 2013
Sidwell
Murray's horrendous miss the other night. It wouldn't have happened in the first half of the season.

I seem to remember this - a mid November expected points chart displayed us dramatically overachieving. I may be imagining this but I also remember Murray having the best conversion rate in the league earlier this season.

Were we just lucky earlier in the season? Is our luck catching up to us?

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 13.24.40.png

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm a firm believer in that things broadly speaking even themselves out over the season. Crap decision for example for the late offside goal conceded at Cardiff counteracted by 3 very fortunate 1-0 wins earlier in the season and Huddersfield's red card (in the away game) that on another day possibly wouldn't have been given. Turned that match in our favour.

As long as we start to convert some of the chances we are creating then we should be fine. As bad as Murray's misses were at Leicester at least he had the chances. Still optimistic and looking forward to filling our boots tomorrow. Would like for once to win a game this season comfortably. Hopefully tomorrow will be it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The three consecutive 1-0 wins were very flattering IMHO. Cashed in my bet on a Top Ten Finish for a small profit after the third one. The performances just weren't there. EVERY team that comes to the Amex works as a more cohesive unit. We've stopped being able to do the very basics, like retain the ball for more than about 30 seconds in midfield. Can't even rely on the defence for Fortress Amex anymore. Any team that cares to run at us is in with a chance of a goal. And as for our own goal options, well we should all get down on our knees and genuflect thrice daily that Murray has stayed fit and keeps banging them in. We've got a 64 page thread on NSC debating if Locadia is a dud. Which strongly suggests he's a dud. Andone might just evolve into Barnes 2.0. He's certainly, er, physical, enough. But beyond that we're looking pretty much like a mid-table Championship side. Obviously hope I'm seriously wrong. But I'm not seeing much evidence of that.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What we need is a jumping up the table gif [MENTION=27252]The GIF dude[/MENTION]

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We were lucky in those 3 wins but things evened our pretty soon afterwards. We lost to Burnley and Cardiff because of offside goals along with the Leicester penalty at the Amex coming from another incorrect offside decision.

It seems like luck has continued to go against us but the main cause of our decline has been bad defending and poor finishing as the general performances haven’t been that bad.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We were lucky in those 3 wins but things evened our pretty soon afterwards. We lost to Burnley and Cardiff because of offside goals along with the Leicester penalty at the Amex coming from another incorrect offside decision.

It seems like luck has continued to go against us but the main cause of our decline has been bad defending and poor finishing as the general performances haven’t been that bad.

Got any thoughts on the shameful Fulham capitulation from a 2-0 lead? Strongly suggests to me that we're WAY lacking in concentration and smartness. Still, nothing a bit of warm weather training couldn't put right eh?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Got any thoughts on the shameful Fulham capitulation from a 2-0 lead? Strongly suggests to me that we're WAY lacking in concentration and smartness. Still, nothing a bit of warm weather training couldn't put right eh?

No doubting the 2nd half performance at Fulham was shameful. However, even in that match, if Propper’s shot was 1 inch lower just before half time we probably would have taken home 3 points.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We were statistically the unluckiest team in the Premier League last year for decisions that cost us points if that helps. Missing open goals and keepers having blinders who then let in a shedload a few games later can’t help though. Burnley and Watford spring to mind from this week.

I think we are going to get some blindingly good luck soon....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Trying to get budget players in this league will cost us in the end. Fair enough Murray us done well for us although a proper replacement should be in right now. AJ looks pony we tracked him for years not sure what they were watching. We don’t have one player that othersides are really wary of. Now had we signed Lazano instead of AJ Liverpool wouldn’t have defended on the half way line.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Never mind lucky or not, mark my words, before the end of this season, some poor unfortunate opponent is going to receive a good and proper 1-0 thumping from us. (maybe, or it could be a draw, or we could throw it away in the last few minutes but it WILL happen!)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Trying to get budget players in this league will cost us in the end. Fair enough Murray us done well for us although a proper replacement should be in right now. AJ looks pony we tracked him for years not sure what they were watching. We don’t have one player that othersides are really wary of. Now had we signed Lazano instead of AJ Liverpool wouldn’t have defended on the half way line.

I agree with this to a point

I think there are some amazing bargains to be had out there, Groß is one and although he wasn’t cheap Propper is looking a player worth twice what we paid for him.

However, sometimes you just have to spend bigger alongside it .... for example on a goalscorer. I know it’s been done to death on here but it’s the one part of our team that consistantly fails.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The three consecutive 1-0 wins were very flattering IMHO. Cashed in my bet on a Top Ten Finish for a small profit after the third one. The performances just weren't there. EVERY team that comes to the Amex works as a more cohesive unit. We've stopped being able to do the very basics, like retain the ball for more than about 30 seconds in midfield. Can't even rely on the defence for Fortress Amex anymore. Any team that cares to run at us is in with a chance of a goal. And as for our own goal options, well we should all get down on our knees and genuflect thrice daily that Murray has stayed fit and keeps banging them in. We've got a 64 page thread on NSC debating if Locadia is a dud. Which strongly suggests he's a dud. Andone might just evolve into Barnes 2.0. He's certainly, er, physical, enough. But beyond that we're looking pretty much like a mid-table Championship side. Obviously hope I'm seriously wrong. But I'm not seeing much evidence of that.

The wins were flattering, but not, in my view, 'lucky'. They were hard earned wins.

As for looking like a mid-table Championship side, we've just beaten the 4th and 7th placed Championship teams!

I think we'll be fine - it's such fine margins, and now we look to be properly 'in the mix' again, I suspect we'll toughen up, raise our game by 5-10% or so, and see off enough teams to keep us up relatively calmly. Three home wins against struggling clubs, and it will all look rosy again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here