Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Headphone advice

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Morning all,

I'm toying with the idea of splashing out on some decent headphones when (if) i get my annual bonus, but i could benefit from some advice and answers to a couple of questions from any audiophiles out there...

1) Stick with known quality brands? (Bose, Sennheiser) or are there some better value gems out there than offer equal performance for less outlay?
2) Noise cancelling - is it any good? is it worth the extra? I'm tempted by this, but only if it works. Reviews for the Bose over ear sets i was looking at are very mixed indeed.
3) Over ear/on ear - is there any difference? If so purely in comfort, or sound quality?

I already have a good set of in-ear headphones for use when exercising etc, so i'm really for looking at over/on ear. Wireless preferred. Budget is up to £300.

Any links/ reviews of any suggestions also appreciated if possible.

Cheers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I bought a second hand pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2's wired last year off Ebay and find them firstly comfy and a good sound to my ears..they also do a wireless version .best of luck with your search

PS I would also say that its important to have a listen yourself before buying any pair...some like a good bass..some don't etc

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
In the same boat. I have a pair of Bose QC15s and thinking of upgrading to the QC35s.

I can say absolutely without doubt, noise cancellation is a game changer. Sitting on a train with no music on and just having the ambient noise reduced is something I do often. Unless you really need super accurate sound reproduction go for it.

I tried a colleague's pair of Sony yesterday:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones-WH1000XM2/dp/B074KDJVS2

They're constantly reviewed as the best noise cancelling headphones on the market. But for me, they were a little bit uncomfortable. The Bose are more comfortable and 99% as good sound.

Try a few out. But Sennheiser, Bose or Sony are probably the way to go if you ask me.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I use DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm at home which are the best set of headphones I have owned. They are light and comfy and I often wear them for hours at a time, also good for reducing outside noise, as I don't hear the phone ring when listening through them

Given your on/over ear I assume you will be using with a mobile device rather than a home set up, in which case you probably only need the 32 Ohm version

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Cant recommend Bose QC35s high enough, the noise cancelling is excellent, sounds quality is excellent and they are very comfortable. There may be other alternatives, my son swears by his beats because he loves the extra bass they give but for me the QC35s are awesome. Noise cancelling as menitoned above is fantastic when somewhere with lots of background noise.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Another vote for Bose QC35 here. Brilliant brilliant brilliant. Had mine about 18 months now and use them every day, love them.

At the time I was toying with the Sony equivalent but read reviews saying the hinges cracked after time. Plus they had this weird touch pad on the side which was awkward to use.

Bose all the way for me. Excellent sound, excellent noise cancelling.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have some Bose wireless which are excellent, first time I used them was on a coach to an away game, I had the noise cancelling switched on and then I took them off and couldn't believe how noisy the coach was just through road noise and general chatter which you are oblivious to with them on

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had a pair of Bose in ear noise cancellation for around four odd years, funnily enough my bonus contributed to them (naturally after a lengthy negotiation with Mrs Hut).

Got mine at Gatwick Airport and guess what just £10 cheaper, my maths makes 20% tax free deduction on £250 not £240 but let's not go there.

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/produc...cancelling-headphones.html#v=qc20_apple_black

As stated noise cancellation is a real game changer, mine have a clunky large battery but rechargeable. I would recommend spending the extra for noise cancellation it is fantastic plus if you run out of battery power they will still work, charge via Micro USB so easy to charge off you laptop at work etc.

You can buy Bluetooth ones but a mate did and forgot they were around his neck and lost them, be careful.

Great for commuting, cycling etc you will be very surprised as stated by others how much noise there generally is and how this reduces it.

Never tried over-ear however as I cycle a lot not much good to me.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I got a pair of Beats Studio 3 (in Shadow Grey) and I absolutely love them. Really comfortable, good noise cancellation and sound quality.

I don't know how they compare with other brands though and know Bose & Sennheiser are generally very well received

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
It all depends what you're using them for, are you going to be using them when you're commuting or at home?

If you're using them when out and about I've heard very good things about the Sony WH-1000XM3. Almost everyone I know and every review I've read rates them over the Bose QC35s for sound quality however the Bose units do have slightly better noise cancellation.

If you're using them at home I'd recommend something like a set of Grados, they're open back so they're not really suitable for travelling but the set I've got are by far and away the best headphones over ever used.

Out and about I use AKG C50BT as I can't justify nearly £300 on a set of headphones that I will no doubt break, they were £60 from Argos and are brilliant value for money.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I splashed out on a pair of Bose headphones a year or so ago and have not been disappointed. Wireless, comfortable, good noise reduction system and well made. Usual thing - you get what you pay for.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1) Stick with known quality brands? (Bose, Sennheiser) or are there some better value gems out there than offer equal performance for less outlay?
I see you budget is £300. What is your source?
2) Noise cancelling - is it any good? is it worth the extra? I'm tempted by this, but only if it works. Reviews for the Bose over ear sets i was looking at are very mixed indeed.
Noise cancelling works when there is a constant drone you are trying to cancel out. Perfect for regular flights. Decent for train journeys. Rubbish for most environments.
3) Over ear/on ear - is there any difference? If so purely in comfort, or sound quality?
Over ear, open, are generally better (all else equal) at giving a good sound stage. On ear are smaller, so easier to travel with.

Wireless preferred. Budget is up to £300.
I also wanted wireless, but they're just not as good.

What sound signature do you like? Do you like bass heavy, neutral, bright, etc?

I can recommend a lot of pairs, but your source is important.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here