Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Five things we need to do to stay up

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Another online piece which seems pretty sane to me...

https://eddieettridge.wixsite.com/90minute/blog/how-brighton-can-stay-up relegation? Think no more

Statistically, Brighton & Hove Albion have been the worst team so far in 2019. The Seagulls haven't picked up any league wins. To put it precisely, Brighton have drawn two and lost five Premier League matches since the turn of the year. Not to mention they've blown two two goal leads when they went away to West Ham and Fulham (Drawing with West Ham 2-2, losing 4-2 to Fulham).

The FA Cup on the other hand has provided some joy for Albion fans. Their successful run in the cup has brought them to a quarter final clash with Millwall at The Den. so it hasn't been all sad faces at the Amex.
With eleven games left in the Premier League this season, I've picked out five reasons how Brighton can stay up.

5. Take the Next Three by the Scruff of the Neck

Brighton's next three fixtures look strong indeed. Huddersfield (H), Crystal Palace (A) and Southampton (H). Let's face it, Huddersfield are bottom of the table and are slowly waving goodbye to the Premier League. The game on March 2nd against the Terriers is a big opportunity to get things back on track. It would not only get the momentum going for the rest of the season but for the derby match against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park - where Albion haven't won since 2005.
Southampton are also down there in the dog fight at the drop so points against the Saints are vital.

4. Home Form is Key

The Amex has been a bit of a fortress in recent years. In fact in 2018 alone, Brighton only lost four league games at home (Chelsea 2x, Tottenham x1, Leicester x1).
The next five at home for the Seagulls are Huddersfield, Cardiff, Southampton, Bournemouth and Newcastle. Considering Brighton are still yet to play Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham away from home, it's important Albion fans get behind the team at the Amex because the next five at home couldn't be any better.
Not saying Brighton fans don't sing up, but it's important the team has the fans backing all the way.

3. Changes Need to be Made

The team is losing and the team needs to be changed up. Gaetan Bong hasn't been a favourite at left back, at least that's what the fans think. Highly rated £9 million Brazilian left back Bernardo has been in fine form when starting. So a change at left back is needed.

In the game against Leicester City on February 26th, Brighton had £70 million worth of players on the bench. Surely those players need to be starting? You pay that much money to leave them on the bench?! Yves Bissouma came on off the bench in that match against the Foxes and changed the game for Brighton. Bissouma isn't afraid to drive at the defence and have a go at goal. He is also technically a great player to watch.

Record signing Alireza Jahanbakhsh hasn't hit the ground running but needs to be given the opportunity to play more often in the Premier League. Jose Izquierdo is back fit which gives Brighton a huge boost. His pace down the wings provide good attacking play. In the nine matches he's featured in this season, Brighton have won five and drawn one.

2. People Must Stop Criticising Hughton

When Chris Hughton took charge of Brighton & Hove Albion for the first time, Brighton were 21st in the Championship and were staring relegation to League 1 dead in the face. Fast forward four years and Chris is managing Brighton in their second successive season in the top flight. I'm not going to bang on about how he's done such a great job for Brighton but Hughton has done wonders for this club. He's got Brighton promoted and has seen his side beat the likes of Manchester United, Everton and Arsenal.

So why all of a sudden should fans call for his head? Yes it's seven matches without a win but a victory is surely around the corner with these so called easy home fixtures coming up.

1. Hold on!

Too many times this season the Seagulls have gone 1-0 or 2-0 up and have ended up losing or perhaps drawing a game they really should've won. In the past Brighton have been known for bottling their big chances, as we saw in the Championship a few times when pushing for promotion.

Albion really should have two away wins under their belts in 2019. They went 2-0 up at both West Ham and Fulham but ended up drawing with West Ham and the Fulham game ended in a 4-2 defeat.

Even in the tense 1-0 wins against Wolves and Newcastle earlier in the season, the results so easily could've gone otherwise.

Brighton cannot afford to let the lead slip if they want to win matches beyond March 2nd against Huddersfield. Don't sit back when going 1-0 up. Take the match to the opponents. Chris Hughton has always been a defensive coach but against the teams that are down to your level, you simply have to rub it in their faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Score goals? :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am in total agreement with the last paragraph, especially when playing teams around us in the table. We become very jittery after taking the lead and tend to surrender possession. Keep doing it and we’ll go down imo. We need to go looking for more goals if we are in front whilst keeping our shape. Ball retention has been dreadful once we are in front.

We also need to be switched on from kick off, something that doesn’t always happen.

Maty Ryan having a MOM performance when we struggle would help too :smile:

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Score more goals than the opposition would certainly help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here seems as good a place as any:-

D0gFBHWW0AEof-p.jpg

:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this the equivalent of thread graffiti. Or rather you’re tagging?

I thought it ws quite funny and rather apt for this thread.

TBH I was quite surprised by the opening line:-

Statistically, Brighton & Hove Albion have been the worst team so far in 2019.

As it just doesn't feel like that.
I guess that's what happens when we watch back to back away keeper MOTM performances.

But one of 2 things needs to happen.
The formation changes back and we stifle Davy Propper.

Or, the infinitely more preferable idea that the tweet alludes too

Everybody else ups their own ability levels to get themselves on a par with Mr Propper.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We don't need to do 5 things to stay up, we only need to do 3 things.

1. Beat Huddersfield at home
2. Beat Southampton at home
3. Beat Cardiff at home

Job done.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I thought it ws quite funny and rather apt for this thread.

TBH I was quite surprised by the opening line:-

Statistically, Brighton & Hove Albion have been the worst team so far in 2019.

As it just doesn't feel like that.
I guess that's what happens when we watch back to back away keeper MOTM performances.

But one of 2 things needs to happen.
The formation changes back and we stifle Davy Propper.

Or, the infinitely more preferable idea that the tweet alludes too

Everybody else ups their own ability levels to get themselves on a par with Mr Propper.

You’re right. And that’s what’s worrying slightly. We’re all just waiting around for the inevitable win. I just hope the team are not doing the same.

But, as the author says, I’m going to stick with Chris.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1. Beat Huddersfield

2. Beat Southampton

3. Beat Cardiff

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Assuming that Fulham don't go on a completely outlandish winning run, then we need to do ONE thing:

1. Match Cardiff or Southampton's results over the next 10 matches.

The end.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here