Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Five things we need to do to stay up

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One thing is for sure, when you drop down a few places people suddenly start writing and talking about you. I would be happier back in the obscurity of midtable and looking to our cup run for excitement.

As the article says though we have a run of games where we can get back out of the spotlight........ or closer to middle of it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
One thing is for sure, when you drop down a few places people suddenly start writing and talking about you. I would be happier back in the obscurity of midtable and looking to our cup run for excitement.

As the article says though we have a run of games where we can get back out of the spotlight........ or closer to middle of it.

Five 'cup finals' potentially

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Another online piece which seems pretty sane to me...

https://eddieettridge.wixsite.com/90minute/blog/how-brighton-can-stay-up relegation? Think no more

Statistically, Brighton & Hove Albion have been the worst team so far in 2019. The Seagulls haven't picked up any league wins. To put it precisely, Brighton have drawn two and lost five Premier League matches since the turn of the year. Not to mention they've blown two two goal leads when they went away to West Ham and Fulham (Drawing with West Ham 2-2, losing 4-2 to Fulham).

The FA Cup on the other hand has provided some joy for Albion fans. Their successful run in the cup has brought them to a quarter final clash with Millwall at The Den. so it hasn't been all sad faces at the Amex.
With eleven games left in the Premier League this season, I've picked out five reasons how Brighton can stay up.

5. Take the Next Three by the Scruff of the Neck

Brighton's next three fixtures look strong indeed. Huddersfield (H), Crystal Palace (A) and Southampton (H). Let's face it, Huddersfield are bottom of the table and are slowly waving goodbye to the Premier League. The game on March 2nd against the Terriers is a big opportunity to get things back on track. It would not only get the momentum going for the rest of the season but for the derby match against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park - where Albion haven't won since 2005.
Southampton are also down there in the dog fight at the drop so points against the Saints are vital.

4. Home Form is Key

The Amex has been a bit of a fortress in recent years. In fact in 2018 alone, Brighton only lost four league games at home (Chelsea 2x, Tottenham x1, Leicester x1).
The next five at home for the Seagulls are Huddersfield, Cardiff, Southampton, Bournemouth and Newcastle. Considering Brighton are still yet to play Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham away from home, it's important Albion fans get behind the team at the Amex because the next five at home couldn't be any better.
Not saying Brighton fans don't sing up, but it's important the team has the fans backing all the way.

3. Changes Need to be Made

The team is losing and the team needs to be changed up. Gaetan Bong hasn't been a favourite at left back, at least that's what the fans think. Highly rated £9 million Brazilian left back Bernardo has been in fine form when starting. So a change at left back is needed.

In the game against Leicester City on February 26th, Brighton had £70 million worth of players on the bench. Surely those players need to be starting? You pay that much money to leave them on the bench?! Yves Bissouma came on off the bench in that match against the Foxes and changed the game for Brighton. Bissouma isn't afraid to drive at the defence and have a go at goal. He is also technically a great player to watch.

Record signing Alireza Jahanbakhsh hasn't hit the ground running but needs to be given the opportunity to play more often in the Premier League. Jose Izquierdo is back fit which gives Brighton a huge boost. His pace down the wings provide good attacking play. In the nine matches he's featured in this season, Brighton have won five and drawn one.

2. People Must Stop Criticising Hughton

When Chris Hughton took charge of Brighton & Hove Albion for the first time, Brighton were 21st in the Championship and were staring relegation to League 1 dead in the face. Fast forward four years and Chris is managing Brighton in their second successive season in the top flight. I'm not going to bang on about how he's done such a great job for Brighton but Hughton has done wonders for this club. He's got Brighton promoted and has seen his side beat the likes of Manchester United, Everton and Arsenal.

So why all of a sudden should fans call for his head? Yes it's seven matches without a win but a victory is surely around the corner with these so called easy home fixtures coming up.

1. Hold on!

Too many times this season the Seagulls have gone 1-0 or 2-0 up and have ended up losing or perhaps drawing a game they really should've won. In the past Brighton have been known for bottling their big chances, as we saw in the Championship a few times when pushing for promotion.

Albion really should have two away wins under their belts in 2019. They went 2-0 up at both West Ham and Fulham but ended up drawing with West Ham and the Fulham game ended in a 4-2 defeat.

Even in the tense 1-0 wins against Wolves and Newcastle earlier in the season, the results so easily could've gone otherwise.

Brighton cannot afford to let the lead slip if they want to win matches beyond March 2nd against Huddersfield. Don't sit back when going 1-0 up. Take the match to the opponents. Chris Hughton has always been a defensive coach but against the teams that are down to your level, you simply have to rub it in their faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Changes Need To Be Made

2. People Must Stop Criticising Hughton......

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
3. Changes Need To Be Made

2. People Must Stop Criticising Hughton......

I don't think this would make the slightest bit of difference. Why should it? All managers face tons of criticism from fans when things aren't going well.
It's not as if C.H. reads the Argus and NSC and then says 'Oh I am being criticised so I must listen and act on all the advice that the kind fans are giving me!
What bollocks!
I am not one of Hughton's greatest fans, but there is an awful lot of goodwill towards him and I think we will stay up; I remain unconvinced that he is the man to take us forward though.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
win a few games might just help

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Southampton have a tough March, but then a run in of teams likely to be on the beach. Therefore, it would seem that the one thing we need to do is not get three less points than Cardiff between now and the end of the season.

Looking at Cardiff's run in they have four games against top six sides. They haven't yet taken a point from any game against the top six*. Their other six games are evenly split home and away. They average approx. 1.5 points at home and 0.9 points away, so if this remains the same, they would end up with about another seven points from their remaining fixtures. We would need another five points to match their points total and stay up on goal difference. Should we win on Saturday and they lose away at Wolves then the pressure may be on them to come and beat us at The Amex.

* - Although neither had we at this point last year and ended up with 4 points from 4 matches against the top 4. We would have to match whatever total points Cardiff got from their free swings. They have Chelsea, Liverpool, City and United. We have Spurs, Arsenal, City and Chelsea, although two of theirs and only one of ours is at home.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
3 might, 4 should, 5 will.

5 would be expected without taking in to consideration how shyte we've been this season. hopefully we'll manage the three . . . .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Number 3.

The changes did make the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here