Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton has "gone for it" but has just been unlucky

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Over the course of our current poor sequence of results, there have been comments suggesting Hughton is defensive, negative, plays for draws and it's his fault we have been floundering.

That is at odds with my view that we have played well for long spells in games, created decent chances but just not converted them. We've only picked up 2 points from Leicester, Burnley, Watford, Fulham, Man Utd, Liverpool and West Ham. With better finishing or, dare I say it, just a little bit more luck, we could have accrued 10 points, or even more, from those games.

This article seems to confirm this in cold hard stats...

"Brighton have increased their amount of accurate crosses they are making per 90 minutes, up to 7.28 from 4.79, and it is generating more chances – they are now averaging 13.42 shots per game, compared to 9.37 for the season up until January 1.

They are also creating 1.14 “big” chances from 0.91, and the general quality of their chances has increased, raising their expected goals (xG) per game to 1.45 from 1.11.

But they have not been able to make this translate into goals; Brighton’s goals-per-game average has slipped from 1.2 to 1.0."

Full article here >>> https://whisp.rs/2tJz8cW

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It was all going so well after December, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Tinkered with something that didn't need tinkering with.

It's that balancing act between results and entertainment and I reckon Mr Bloom would rather have the results.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Wonder if it’s been to some cost defensively, with poor goals conceded Fulham, Burnley and Leicester? (Can’t have cake and eat it).

In my humble opinion, yes, it’s absolutely been to the detriment of our defensive solidity, for me the biggest difference is that Stephens is now a lone figure in the middle with Pröpper and Groß playing slightly more advanced.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was all going so well after December, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Tinkered with something that didn't need tinkering with.

It's that balancing act between results and entertainment and I reckon Mr Bloom would rather have the results.

Did Hughton have a choice with injuries and suspensions?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
My impression of Chris is that he has always delivered what has been asked of him.
On his appointment his brief was keep us in the Championship, which he did.
His first full season he was asked to get to the playoffs. He did.
His next season he was told the target is top two but playoffs at least. He did by getting top two.
His third season he was tasked with keeping us up.
Pretty sure that this is his brief this season as well.
He has delivered so far so why are we questioning him now?
The cup runs last season and this are a bonus.
I am still team Chris!

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Unlucky or...just not prepared??

It was in November last year when Hughton talked about his views on the forthcoming Winter transfer window, he was asked whether he would be looking at new signings.
His answer was along the lines of that he was happy with the squad of players he'd got already, and that he wouldn't be looking to change too much.

I can well remember that answer, mainly because...
1. I thought how silly it was to have that view, especially knowing how poorly we play through the midfield (far too slowly).
2. How much we rely on one (ageing) striker to get most of our goals.
3. How bad our ball retention is, especially in the oppositions half.

Fast forward to where we are presently at...
How does that lack of transfer window activity look to you as an Albion fan now?
Did you have the same view as I did at that time, or did you agree with what Hughton said?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Did Hughton have a choice with injuries and suspensions?

Do you change a tried and tested formation / system to shoehorn players in to the side. Surely that's what training is all about ensuring that fringe players can fit into the system when required. You might rotate the squad but not the system which while not entertaining was gaining results.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Yep, all those moaners about our defensive style of play must surely wish now we had carried on as we were and consolidated for another season while we strengthened the team and not just the squad as we have done this season!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

It was in November last year when Hughton talked about his views on the forthcoming Winter transfer window, he was asked whether he would be looking at new signings.
His answer was along the lines of that he was happy with the squad of players he'd got already, and that he wouldn't be looking to change too much.

1. I thought how silly it was to have that view, especially knowing how poorly we play through the midfield (far too slowly).

How does that lack of transfer window activity look to you as an Albion fan now?
Did you have the same view as I did at that time, or did you agree with what Hughton said?

Hindsight is a wonderful tool isn’t it, besides which the stats don’t agree with your analysis.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Over the course of our current poor sequence of results, there have been comments suggesting Hughton is defensive, negative, plays for draws and it's his fault we have been floundering.

That is at odds with my view that we have played well for long spells in games, created decent chances but just not converted them. We've only picked up 2 points from Leicester, Burnley, Watford, Fulham, Man Utd, Liverpool and West Ham. With better finishing or, dare I say it, just a little bit more luck, we could easily have accrued 10 points, or even more, from those games.

This article seems to confirm this in cold hard stats...

"Brighton have increased their amount of accurate crosses they are making per 90 minutes, up to 7.28 from 4.79, and it is generating more chances – they are now averaging 13.42 shots per game, compared to 9.37 for the season up until January 1.

They are also creating 1.14 “big” chances from 0.91, and the general quality of their chances has increased, raising their expected goals (xG) per game to 1.45 from 1.11.

But they have not been able to make this translate into goals; Brighton’s goals-per-game average has slipped from 1.2 to 1.0."

Full article here >>> https://whisp.rs/2tJz8cW

Those are exactly my feelings, too. Why did Fulham play one half ofdevastating football against us. We could with better luck have been 3 or 4 up against Burnley at half time. One could go on.

A clean sheet of two would be nice, though.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Yep, all those moaners about our defensive style of play must surely wish now we had carried on as we were and consolidated for another season while we strengthened the team and not just the squad as we have done this season!

It essentially boils down to this - we could and perhaps should have scored more, but that has involved changing our style of play. We have and we are creating more but leaving ourselves open.

We can't have it all, not least in our position. We aren't Man City/Liverpool. Something has to give.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes we’ve been unlucky but a big mistake was not improving the team (and I repeat team not squad) in the Jan transfer window. Loans out, injuries and suspensions have left the squad depleted. If you exclude the 2 reserve keepers we only have 21 to pick from, and that’s when everyone is available.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Its a cliche but I'm afraid it's true - you make your own luck. We're not very good at that either.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
It essentially boils down to this - we could and perhaps should have scored more, but that has involved changing our style of play. We have and we are creating more but leaving ourselves open.

We can't have it all, not least in our position. We aren't Man City/Liverpool. Something has to give.

I think our wide players, especially Locadia, seem to struggle defensively in a 4-3-3, and leave our full backs exposed. This draws other players out of position (to cover) and creates gaps in front of our defence, leading to opportunities for the opposition (more so than in a 4-1-4-1).

On the flip-side we have more players in advanced positions and seem to be creating more attacking chances, but either come up against goal-keepers putting in heroic displays, and / or have left our shooting boots at home.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I agreed with Hughton, but I thought Locadia was a Striker not a winger, in that case we have 3 strikers and usually play with only one, (and have a couple in the under 23's that have half a chance of making the step up) In the summer I am not expecting too much business either, depending on whether Tau makes it here, Mac Allister and Arce might be next seasons Bernardo and Bissouma, i.e. look good enough to be starting every week, but inexperienced and need settling in, or maybe they disappear into the U23's but Bruno replacement and maybe Bong might be in order, and any other player being tracked that might become available. This is assuming we are not forced into seeking replacements for players lured away, and that Bissouma and Bernardo are stepping up to first picks.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Do you change a tried and tested formation / system to shoehorn players in to the side. Surely that's what training is all about ensuring that fringe players can fit into the system when required. You might rotate the squad but not the system which while not entertaining was gaining results.

So if all you players that play in one particular are injured at once (say left wing) do you put a squad member in, even if it leaves us very weak in that position? or do you adapt the formation to get to one that best suits the players we have available playing in positions that play to their strengths?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

To be fair, it would make no difference if CH signed anyone in January, they would only be on the bench at best, along with all the other new signings!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Unlucky - we've deserved a lot more points than we've got in this run.

No issue with the lack of transfer activity in January (who is to say any player(s) we did bring in would settle, and hit the ground running or stay injury free, etc)

We should have enough in the squad to stay up, we have had some injury issues but players are now coming back, we are still outside the relegation places and with a good run of fixtures coming up where points should be easier to get & that our fate in our own hands

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Those are exactly my feelings, too. Why did Fulham play one half ofdevastating football against us. We could with better luck have been 3 or 4 up against Burnley at half time. One could go on.

A clean sheet of two would be nice, though.

Both games were also played in appalling weather conditions which would have had an impact on the game and maybe those conditions were a factor in those results (a team relying on a solid defense is more likely to struggle in those conditions which is what we set out to be) If they were played in better conditions we may well have got something from those games - not all the remaining games this season will be played in those sorts of conditions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here