Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do Celtic fans think they are ?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Irritates me the amount of time given over to Scottish football. The results are read out straight after the Premier League on the BBC, why? Its a very poor standard and apart from the BBC and Jim White very few people in this country give a toss

This applies to women’s football

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The post I was replying to was arrogant in my opinion, and it's an arrogant attitude I hear a lot when people talk about Celtic and Rangers, thinking they'd be playing in the Championship if they were down here, utter nonsense. The EPL has only become what it has because of the obscene amounts of money it has generated, much of it dubiously and some of it illegally. Yet you get posters like the OP referring to Celtic supporters, who have a good reason to feel aggrieved, as 'Scotch goons'. Really?

Reason to feel aggrieved, really? The disdain that Sweaties have been giving to their rightful masters, overlords and conquerors in the last few years needs to be addressed. We let you have your own parliament, we let your MPs also sit in the UK parliament, we let you use the pound, and yet wee Billy Krankee once again is raising the question of indepedence whilst taking the subsidy from England. Aggrieved, at a minor pixxtake like Scotch, get over yourself.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Reason to feel aggrieved, really? The disdain that Sweaties have been giving to their rightful masters, overlords and conquerors in the last few years needs to be addressed. We let you have your own parliament, we let your MPs also sit in the UK parliament, we let you use the pound, and yet wee Billy Krankee once again is raising the question of indepedence whilst taking the subsidy from England. Aggrieved, at a minor pixxtake like Scotch, get over yourself.

:clap: :rotlf: thanks for posting such hilarious nonsense

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The irony of what Taylor then did...

The honourable thing imo, gave us a full close season to **** up the manager selection, although yes it was somewhat ironic given how his career went after us.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Yeah, cos that's really had the investment it has deserved since the FA banned women's football.

Sometimes you have to work at resetting wrongs.

Throw as much money at it as you like it will still be pony.
How long do you think it will be before it’s on Match of the Day?

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019

1/10 for effort and the fact you've shown how you worked it out. I'm English by the way.

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The Liverpool sectarian divide in clubs died an incredibly long time ago. When last discussed on NSC, a brilliant academic article was linked that gave the history. Scouse families have contained both EFC and LFC supporters for as far back as can be remembered.

Whereas the Hibs-Hearts sectarian divide was prevalent until more recently, still with a hangover.

A guy I used to work with was one of five brothers. Three were reds and he and another brother were blues. His father was red and one uncle a blue. Three brothers first match was with his dad at anfield. He and brother went to goodison with the uncle hence being evertonians.

As an aside I’ve always got on better with evertonians than reds, which explains my dislike of Liverpool fc.

I also work with a guy who is a hearts fan. He based in Germany at the moment but when in the uk travels from Manchester to edinbrough for all the homes games. That last time we spoke he commented about the rise in sectarianism in a minority of the fans on both sides of the city. Maybe it’s just reported more in the media but it does appear worse at the moment.

As for Celtic/rangers in the EPL. Both teams would have to completely rebuild their teams which would cost more than the money from the EPL. if they could survive the first three or four seasons then ok but I suspect that would not be the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A guy I used to work with was one of five brothers. Three were reds and he and another brother were blues. His father was red and one uncle a blue. Three brothers first match was with his dad at anfield. He and brother went to goodison with the uncle hence being evertonians.

As an aside I’ve always got on better with evertonians than reds, which explains my dislike of Liverpool fc.

I also work with a guy who is a hearts fan. He based in Germany at the moment but when in the uk travels from Manchester to edinbrough for all the homes games. That last time we spoke he commented about the rise in sectarianism in a minority of the fans on both sides of the city. Maybe it’s just reported more in the media but it does appear worse at the moment.

As for Celtic/rangers in the EPL. Both teams would have to completely rebuild their teams which would cost more than the money from the EPL. if they could survive the first three or four seasons then ok but I suspect that would not be the case.

Good post. Funnily enough, completely the opposite experience for us. We’ve met so many miserable Evertonians, including taxi drivers in Brighton and Liverpool. Last August during our Albion trip there, the Evertonian cabbie was a grumpy sod. Normally I love a chat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Irritates me the amount of time given over to Scottish football. The results are read out straight after the Premier League on the BBC, why? Its a very poor standard and apart from the BBC and Jim White very few people in this country give a toss

This. “We’re now going over to Roddy Forsyth at Celtic Park where failed English striker has made it 6-0.”

Apart from a few Scots and Irish living in England, who gives a feck.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The inconvenient truth many ignore is that if Celtic and Rangers played in England, with the revenue they would generate, even before they kicked a ball in anger, they would be right up there with the best in the EPL. They are massive clubs.
They wouldn't be up there with the best, because they're not good enough. Yes, they're big clubs, and if they were in the PL, in time they could get new sponsorship deals and build squads to compete. But so what? That applies to loads of clubs around the world. But we don't hear Chinese fans telling us how Guangzhou would smash it if they were allowed in the PL. Only these dumb Scottish goons.

Also, you talk of them being massive clubs as if that's a good thing. It's not. If the Scots supported Scottish teams more equally, their league wouldn't be such a farce. The average attendance outside the top two is in 8.5 thousand. That's the same as League One (which has twice as many teams). Only supporting two clubs well is nothing to be proud of.

Last edited:

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
They wouldn't be up there with the best, because they're not good enough. Yes, they're big clubs, and if they were in the PL, in time they could get new sponsorship deals and build squads to compete. But so what? That applies to loads of clubs around the world. But we don't hear Chinese fans telling us how Guangzhou would smash it if they were allowed in the PL. Only these dumb Scottish goons.

The difference being the EPL were considering inviting Rangers and Celtic in, therefore it is an argument that has more weight as it could have, and may one day, actually happen (though I doubt it). That last sentence wasn't really necessary, was it?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Good post. Funnily enough, completely the opposite experience for us. We’ve met so many miserable Evertonians, including taxi drivers in Brighton and Liverpool. Last August during our Albion trip there, the Evertonian cabbie was a grumpy sod. Normally I love a chat.

Weird isn’t it. When I was in the navy, almost to a man the Evertonians were funny and great to be around. The reds were to be frank .... ********s. It has clouded my judgement ever since ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here