Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do Celtic fans think they are ?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
When the anti Scouse NSC binfests arise (every fortnight since the Albion became “big time”), I sometimes mention alternative parts of the country where I personally have come across tossers. In holidays over the years, I’ve come across a load of Cockney and Manc scum. The sort always looking to fight, not football related, sometimes old blokes, or who dominate poolsides or hotels with their behaviour. Also a couple of instances of Sunderland fans overseas too spoiling it for others. In the same way that your LFC fans dealings clouded your view, the lot I mention did it for me.

I keep well away from the the scouse threads as I’m a bit blinkered in my view when it comes to the red side of Liverpool. My sons at uni in York and reckons it’s a much friendlier place than down south ....

There is no benefit to english clubs allowing rangers and Celtic in. No benefit what’s so ever. The only clubs to benefit from this would be Celtic and Rangers. It has nothing to do with the fans and all to do with money. If financially it benefitted English football then they would be allowed in regardless of how their fans behaved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The worst nickname in football is surely ''The Gers'' I can imagine how that came about

'We need a nickname. We Cannee not have one for a Football club, All the top teams have one''
''Aye, saying Rangers is far too complicated for me. We need something simple''
''What about the Blues?
''Well Jock is colour blind so we cannee be having that''
''Well I reckon 'the Gers' It gets rid of a syllable
''That's cracking that is, it's like Ran-Gers but just a bit shorter''
''The Gers is great for me, it's not too complicated to remember''
''Pass me a Tennants Super, it's agreed''

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
And there are some people that think the men's game is rubbish too.

After 70 years of being ignored - even prevented from playing the game - you really think we're going to see change over a couple of seasons.

Actually, if you watch some of it, you'll find it's very enjoyable. Same sport, different game.

Totally agree some of the players are very skilled and none of this rolling around when they take a knock they just get up and carry on.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The difference is the Scottish League is in Scotland and The Premier League is in England. Why would we allow a team or teams from Scotland join the English league? yes yes I know about Cardiff but they've been in the English leagues since more or less the beginning.
Who next Real Madrid?

not just Cardiff shirley?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Strange and depressing isn't it? Scratch the surface.....

I don't think its strange or depressing.

BR left Celtic for two reasons. Money, he will probably double at least what he was earning, and his desire to try and succeed in the PL where he had previously failed at Liverpool.

Rightly or wrongly, he will have a lot of (TV generated) money to spend on players at Leicester, no doubt his aim is to do well there, and hope one day for a crack at a top 6 English team.

Some of the hatred, and that's what it is, towards him, from Celtic fans is way over the top IMO. Will they be outraged when (for example) Steve Clarke goes to Celtic and doubles his wages?

Yes, Celtic and Rangers are both huge football clubs, but as far as being anti Celtic (and Rangers) just have a look at Twitter - it's full of anti English/anti the Union/pro Irish Republicanism hatred on one side, and anti Catholic on the other. It's not 'banter' it's pure hatred and goes far beyond football. It's not on the wane, it's on the increase (probably partly because of social media) and that's my reason why I wouldn't want them anywhere near the English Leagues.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The worst nickname in football is surely ''The Gers'' I can imagine how that came about

'We need a nickname. We Cannee not have one for a Football club, All the top teams have one''
''What about the Blues?

Bhoys must be up there, especially with their convicted paedophile youth coach/s.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The argument that Rangers and Celtic would be a force in the PL was bollocks years ago and is even more bollocks now.

The financial gap, and therefore the gap in quality of players is now enormous.

Although I'd be completely against it, chucking them into the Championship for a couple of seasons would be amusing.

The old "big club" argument is dead.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And there are some people that think the men's game is rubbish too.

After 70 years of being ignored - even prevented from playing the game - you really think we're going to see change over a couple of seasons.

Actually, if you watch some of it, you'll find it's very enjoyable. Same sport, different game.

I have and it’s not

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Totally agree some of the players are very skilled and none of this rolling around when they take a knock they just get up and carry on.

Because they can’t kick each other hard enough.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
So did Rangers ever have the opportunity of joining the English Leagues seven years ago ? Please provide evidence of what you are saying !! - Cardiff City joined the EFL when ? I don't think you know what you are talking about

Rangers had to start at the bottom of the Scottish league when they reformed under their current owners. What I am saying is that if they had some ambition they could have said bugger that why not fight our way up the English leagues instead and leave the scottish leagues to regret their decision. It would have been difficult legally to stop them with the precedent of Scottish and Welsh based clubs already playing in the English leagues. ITS AN OPINION evidence of what? This happening two years ago though means not likely to be an option now. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/22/english-football-league-rejects-idea-of-celtic-and-rangers-joini/

Also when the Premier league was formed there was much talk of the Scottish teams joining, I am sure you can find those news stories without my help. There was much talk of making a northern europe league as well between the Scottish, Scandinavian countries and Benelux but UEFA refused to back that. Think what you like people still write articles about them joining even now.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Rangers had to start at the bottom of the Scottish league when they reformed under their current owners. What I am saying is that if they had some ambition they could have said bugger that why not fight our way up the English leagues instead and leave the scottish leagues to regret their decision. It would have been difficult legally to stop them with the precedent of Scottish and Welsh based clubs already playing in the English leagues. ITS AN OPINION evidence of what? This happening two years ago though means not likely to be an option now. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/22/english-football-league-rejects-idea-of-celtic-and-rangers-joini/

Also when the Premier league was formed there was much talk of the Scottish teams joining, I am sure you can find those news stories without my help. There was much talk of making a northern europe league as well between the Scottish, Scandinavian countries and Benelux but UEFA refused to back that. Think what you like people still write articles about them joining even now.

Whereas I don't disgree with you on some of the content of your post, the EFL clubs rejected it !

The board of the EFL had put forward a skeleton proposal at its annual general meeting this summer, (2016) triggering a year of consultation ahead of a vote the following June. Any changes woud have required the support of 90 per cent of clubs.

The plan under consideration required eight teams to be added to a new League Three and the prospect of inviting Premier League B teams or even sides outside the English football pyramid was left on the table by the board.

As expected, that was rejected outright by EFL clubs on the Thursday meaning that any new teams would have to come from the National League.

That 'proposal' dates back to 2016 !

There are some anomalies, Welsh clubs playing in the EFL/EPL and English clubs, Berwick Rangers playing in the Scottish leagues.

Most English clubs would not be keen on Rangers and Celtic being admitted to the English leagues because, firstly, in the event of that proposition having been approved, it would have potentially prevented two English non league clubs from aspiring to ' League Football ' and secondly many, even premiership clubs, would view those two Scottish clubs as a threat to their own position in the Leagues as, like it or not, if Celtic and Rangers had access to the same funding as English clubs ( Sky etc ) they would certainly be challenging in the EPL as both are 'massive clubs' in world football !

The fact is that there has never been any appetite in England to allow/encourage the introduction of Rangers/Celtic and 'no way' have those two Scottish clubs ever been invited to membership of the EFL.

It would not necessarily have been a bad thing in terms of potentially improving English soccer ( including Wales in that ) but of course if would also have had a disastrous consequence upon an already suffering Scottish football pyramid unless, of course, Rangers and Celtic would have been able to play 'B' teams in the Scottish leagues

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

''What about the Blues?

Rangers are konown as ' The Bears'

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I don't think its strange or depressing.

BR left Celtic for two reasons. Money, he will probably double at least what he was earning, and his desire to try and succeed in the PL where he had previously failed at Liverpool.

Rightly or wrongly, he will have a lot of (TV generated) money to spend on players at Leicester, no doubt his aim is to do well there, and hope one day for a crack at a top 6 English team.

Some of the hatred, and that's what it is, towards him, from Celtic fans is way over the top IMO. Will they be outraged when (for example) Steve Clarke goes to Celtic and doubles his wages?

Yes, Celtic and Rangers are both huge football clubs, but as far as being anti Celtic (and Rangers) just have a look at Twitter - it's full of anti English/anti the Union/pro Irish Republicanism hatred on one side, and anti Catholic on the other. It's not 'banter' it's pure hatred and goes far beyond football. It's not on the wane, it's on the increase (probably partly because of social media) and that's my reason why I wouldn't want them anywhere near the English Leagues.

I am sorry but that is utter bollocks !

Rangers is a Loyalist (to the crown often refer to themselves as the Queens eleven), Unionist as in loyal to the Union of the Crowns ( that of the UK and Northern Ireland, Ireland as a whole as was ). They are fiercely opposed to the SNP on the basis that their nationalistic stance is anti Crown and anti Union !

Celtic, on the other hand, is a club which supports the IRA, their fans sing pro IRA songs and is happy to boo UK troops (eg at Arsenal) - The Irish Tricolor flies at Celtic Park !

You state that both are anti English in terms of their focus and that is totally wrong as regards Rangers at least. England had something like a 75% support of Rangers fans in the last world cup and every England match had a supportive match thread !

I do acknowledge that there is perhaps a problem as regards religion but that goes back again to the history of 300 + years ago but is a two way local thing !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here