Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do Celtic fans think they are ?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Well Rod Stewart was so upset he cried

Bleeding hell Rod - I'm so sorry your holiday was ruined mate. That must have been a real
choker. It's ruined my day to hear that. I guess you'll just have to console yourself with the
tens of millions you've got in the bank and a life a galaxy away from your average Celtic supporter.

Selfish, self-opinionated so and so.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Nope. I've sneered at their shitty League, and at the delusional ungrateful Celtic fans in that picture, not "the scottish". You seem to be spoiling for a fight over something I've not actually said, but if you want to interpret it that way and get the Wallace warpaint out, you go for gold chap.

Ok old chap, I'll accept a charge of slight overreaction. I'm certainly not spoiling for a fight, though I do look good in makeup. Take this next bit how you want, but it may or may not be of interest to you in understanding how some people feel about the terminology used, it's from one of many charming far right sites who love to bang on about this sort of thing......

"The fact that the Scotch or Scots now try to insist on being called only Scots is a symptom of victimhood which is itself a form of inferiority. Peoples who are confident in their existence do not try to insist on foreigners calling them one thing when the foreigners have always called them something else. (This is a trait most starkly seen in the case of blacks"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup, I was on Scottish radio for half an hour last night talking about Rangers' interim results as well as BR going to Leicester and found the interviewers to be knowledgeable, funny and engaging. The sectarian bellends are a stain on the game from both side of the divide but as someone with a wife from Edinburgh I find the sneering towards Scotland baffling, as she's an absolute honey as [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] will testify

Thank you so much El Pres for pointing out that there are sectariarn bellends on both sides. So often when Celtic are mentioned on NSC, some touchy posters with a secret love for the Parkhead club, try to make out that sectarianism is a purely Rangers/Proddy thing. I’d rather trust your considerable knowledge. Celtic too have a large section of scummy fans that celebrate murder and suffering.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've nothing whatsoever against Scotland, I'm part scottish myself on my mothers side.

Their League is utter bobbins though, I'm afraid. So Celtic fans trolling Rodgers for leaving their hallowed club for an established Premier League club, insisting its a step down and a betrayal, is as blinkered and delusional as it gets. He'd achieved everything he could possibly have done at Celtic, you'd think they'd be grateful to him. But no, they see it as an insult.

Ridiculous.

I get dogs abuse from fans of both Glasgow clubs on Twitter whenever posting anything to do with their respective finances but ignore it. Rangers fans thinks I'm a Celtic fan because of my name (my old man was in the RAF and my great Uncle Arthur was a POW in Germany in WWII) and Celtic fans think I'm a Rangers fan for saying that the financial gap would disappear if Rangers had a good 12 months due to the disproportionate influence of Champions League money on the Scottish game. The obsession of a section of the fanbase with each other and constant whatabouterry is beyond comprehension but as with all clubs there are plenty of good fans too.

All fans have nitwits in the fanbase, I remember some of ours going disco because Brian Horton left us to manage...Port Vale.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well, I’m on the blue side of Glasgow but even though they are obviously OTT, they may have a point.
Celtic offered him the prestige he craved he has, without spending zillions gone in and done a great job, even with a severely handicapped GR. the chance to do a triple, triple would have been historic and with Leicester not likely to have been relegated he could have completed that goal.
I’m sure he’ll do ok, but apart from getting a few kids in it’s a stepping stone.
Plus his comments of “ill die for this club” were extraordinary, given recent tragic circumstances.

Absolutely this. It says something about loyalty and the mealy mouthed platitudes that some people in football spout when they come in to something new. I thought earlier this week that "I would die for this club" was a stupid thing to say, particularly just having been reminded of their recent history.

You can express your intention to give it your utmost without going to such extremes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure the Old Firm games are great. Big grounds, good atmosphere, 'passion' - filled encounters. It probably rivals the big games in the Premier League. But for the rest of the fixtures you're playing against League 1 standard teams with League 1 standard stadiums. Stadiums that hold 6,000 people. It's no wonder Rodgers got bored with it.

Look at St. Johnstone, as an example. 10,696 Capacity. Mid table in the Scottish Premier League.

View attachment 105156

It's worse than Selhurst FFS.

Celtic fans who don't understand why he left should have a think about that. It's hardly the glitz and glamour of the Premier League, is it?

Exactly.

Doing a twice-a-year round tour of that when you've done it all and won it all before must be soul destroying. Rodgers is a young, ambitious manager. He'd simply outgrown Celtic and their very moderate targets. Their fans might not like it, but thems the facts.

When we lost Micky Adams to Premier League Leicester, initially as No2 to Dave Bassett, I was GUTTED. But back then we were a League One club playing in front of 6,000 fans at a sports centre, so I totally understood his ambition and accepted it. Would I have got the bedsheets and Dulux out to troll him ? Of course not. Because I'm not a deluded buffoon. Like most fans, I understand the order and meritocracy that exists within football, and can see past my own club to recognise that professionals like Rodgers and Adams within the game will have higher ambitions, and will take opportunities to further themselves, as would we all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wrote this for a YouTube Channel on Rangers, ignore the video and just read the comments!

Respectfully, I won’t bother. I’ve spent masses of time in Scotland in the last 30 years, been to loads of games and stadia, mets many lovely people. Even before the internet, the nastiness was the same.

The bigots on both sides will typing in away in Belfast, Londonderry, Cork, Dublin, Glasgow, London, you name it.

For example, simply by accepting to manage a football club, Gerrard would’ve overnight made himself 100,000’s green haters throughout the world. Even if he never said a word against Celtic.

Leave these sick people to it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's quite simple really, if either or both were playing in the EPL the revenue they would generate would give them the finances to buy some of the best players in the world and they would very soon be on a par with the biggest clubs in England in spending power, ticket sales for every game would be astronomical let alone the hike in marketing revenue. The argument you state about the players they currently have would be null and void because currently you're comparing apples with oranges.

I don't see why they'd be any different to, say, Newcastle or Aston Villa? Ticket sales mean **** all nowadays, everyone knows that.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yeah, because we don't get that kind of thing from English clubs do we? (admittedly on a smaller scale when it comes to sectarianism).

What?

'a smaller scale when it comes to sectarianism'

Where is there ANY evidence of sectarianism in the English league?

Unlike at Celtic who hold up clearly racist anti-English/anti poppy banners and show their love for the IRA whilst Rangers sing about F**King the pope and wars that took place hundreds of years ago.

Both as bad as each other.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
What?

'a smaller scale when it comes to sectarianism'

Where is there ANY evidence of sectarianism in the English league?

Unlike at Celtic who hold up clearly racist anti-English/anti poppy banners and show their love for the IRA whilst Rangers sing about F**King the pope and wars that took place hundreds of years ago.

Both as bad as each other.

Used to get a fair bit at Liverpool v Everton, probably not so much these days. I'm not denying it's on a different level, and that the sectarianism is a blight on their clubs, but it doesn't define them and is all too often used as a stick to beat Scottish fans as a whole with, which is grossly unfair.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
p0724kqw.jpg

Their message to Brendan Rodgers last night, for him binning them off and going to Leicester.

WHY would Rodgers hang around in the MTL for another season ? He's already done the double-treble up there, winning a clean sweep of all the domestic trophies two years in a row, and got them to the Champions League group stage, which is as far as they'll ever get, so job very much done.

They'll win the MTL every season regardless of who's in charge, so staying there would have been the very DEFINITION of mediocrity. At least with Leicester he'll have a worthwhile challenge to get his teeth into, competing in a proper League on the big stage, in a competition that people actually watch.

"Immortality" - what utter eyewash. My neighbours dog could win the league with that lot, and he's been deaf since 2013. They're so up their own arses they don't even recognise mediocrity despite the fact that is EXACTLY what they are turning up for and watching, week in, week out.

Scotch goons.

The Green Brigade are the Scottish equivalent of the Holmesdale fanatics, no one outside their own club takes them seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
I don't see why they'd be any different to, say, Newcastle or Aston Villa? Ticket sales mean **** all nowadays, everyone knows that.

They may not be, but I'd wager Celtic in particular have a far greater potential global appeal than clubs like Newcastle or Villa if they were inducted to the EPL.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ok old chap, I'll accept a charge of slight overreaction. I'm certainly not spoiling for a fight, though I do look good in makeup. Take this next bit how you want, but it may or may not be of interest to you in understanding how some people feel about the terminology used, it's from one of many charming far right sites who love to bang on about this sort of thing......

"The fact that the Scotch or Scots now try to insist on being called only Scots is a symptom of victimhood which is itself a form of inferiority. Peoples who are confident in their existence do not try to insist on foreigners calling them one thing when the foreigners have always called them something else. (This is a trait most starkly seen in the case of blacks"

I've often used the term "scotch" before as a gentle slang term towards our caledonian neighbours, but I've never used it with the intention of it being a racially-charged slur. That said, I can see that it could be seen by some as the very thin end of a very big ugly wedge. But I harbour no ill towards "the scottish" whatsoever, outside of the usual banter (god I hate that word) within a purely sporting context.

The Celtic fans holding up that banner are still goons though, regardless. In my opinion.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
I've often used the term "scotch" before as a gentle slang term towards our caledonian neighbours, but I've never used it with the intention of it being a racially-charged slur. That said, I can see that it could be seen by some as the very thin end of a very big ugly wedge. But I harbour no ill towards "the scottish" whatsoever, outside of the usual banter (god I hate that word) within a purely sporting context.

The Celtic fans holding up that banner are still goons though, regardless. In my opinion.

Fair enough chap, I probably shouldn't have come straight here after fending off some particularly vile people on Twitter on the same subject. I'll stick the kettle on now and chill the **** out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They may not be, but I'd wager Celtic in particular have a far greater potential global appeal than clubs like Newcastle or Villa if they were inducted to the EPL.

Potential. So no reason to believe they'd be more than a lower Prem/upper Champ side, realistically. You could be right, but then I'm sure people feel the same about Newcastle, a team with massively passionate and large local support.

And sorry but, barring those two sides, the standard of the SPL is probably around League One/Two, and Celtic aren't joining the Prem anytime soon, so I think if Celtic fans can take the green-tinted shades off, they'd see a move to Leicester as completely logical step up for BR.

I can understand why the superiority complex may grate sometimes, however, and yes it's true that we may never know exactly what Celtic or Rangers full potential could be.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In terms of achievement, the 'treble treble' is basically the equivalent of me getting dressed, having a shower and eating breakfast successfully for three days in a row.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Potential. So no reason to believe they'd be more than a lower Prem/upper Champ side, realistically. You could be right, but then I'm sure people feel the same about Newcastle, a team with massively passionate and large local support.

And sorry but, barring those two sides, the standard of the SPL is probably around League One/Two, and Celtic aren't joining the Prem anytime soon, so I think if Celtic fans can take the green-tinted shades off, they'd see a move to Leicester as completely logical step up for BR.

You might be right, I'm pretty certain we'll never know for sure, for the reasons already stated. Mind you, it'd be a dull old footballing world if we all took off our tinted shades wouldn't it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Used to get a fair bit at Liverpool v Everton, probably not so much these days. I'm not denying it's on a different level, and that the sectarianism is a blight on their clubs, but it doesn't define them and is all too often used as a stick to beat Scottish fans as a whole with, which is grossly unfair.

The Liverpool sectarian divide in clubs died an incredibly long time ago. When last discussed on NSC, a brilliant academic article was linked that gave the history. Scouse families have contained both EFC and LFC supporters for as far back as can be remembered.

Whereas the Hibs-Hearts sectarian divide was prevalent until more recently, still with a hangover.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fair enough chap, I probably shouldn't have come straight here after fending off some particularly vile people on Twitter on the same subject. I'll stick the kettle on now and chill the **** out.

No worries :thumbsup:

Celtic/Rangers is always a tinderbox just waiting to go off. I can only imagine the vitriolic abuse that would rain down on me had I posted this thread on a Celtic forum.

Hmmm *strokes chin* :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here