Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do Celtic fans think they are ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am sorry but that is utter bollocks !

Rangers is a Loyalist (to the crown often refer to themselves as the Queens eleven), Unionist as in loyal to the Union of the Crowns ( that of the UK and Northern Ireland, Ireland as a whole as was ). They are fiercely opposed to the SNP on the basis that their nationalistic stance is anti Crown and anti Union !

Celtic, on the other hand, is a club which supports the IRA, their fans sing pro IRA songs and is happy to boo UK troops (eg at Arsenal) - The Irish Tricolor flies at Celtic Park !

You state that both are anti English in terms of their focus and that is totally wrong as regards Rangers at least. England had something like a 75% support of Rangers fans in the last world cup and every England match had a supportive match thread !

I do acknowledge that there is perhaps a problem as regards religion but that goes back again to the history of 300 + years ago but is a two way local thing !

This 100%.

Rangers fans are fiercely British and for the UK.

Only during an England v Scotland football match would they wish ill on us.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I am sorry but that is utter bollocks !

Rangers is a Loyalist (to the crown often refer to themselves as the Queens eleven), Unionist as in loyal to the Union of the Crowns ( that of the UK and Northern Ireland, Ireland as a whole as was ). They are fiercely opposed to the SNP on the basis that their nationalistic stance is anti Crown and anti Union !

Celtic, on the other hand, is a club which supports the IRA, their fans sing pro IRA songs and is happy to boo UK troops (eg at Arsenal) - The Irish Tricolor flies at Celtic Park !

You state that both are anti English in terms of their focus and that is totally wrong as regards Rangers at least. England had something like a 75% support of Rangers fans in the last world cup and every England match had a supportive match thread !

I do acknowledge that there is perhaps a problem as regards religion but that goes back again to the history of 300 + years ago but is a two way local thing !

You need to read my post better - nowhere have I stated there is anti English sentiment from both sides.

"Yes, Celtic and Rangers are both huge football clubs, but as far as being anti Celtic (and Rangers) just have a look at Twitter - it's full of anti English/anti the Union/pro Irish Republicanism hatred on one side, and anti Catholic on the other. It's not 'banter' it's pure hatred and goes far beyond football. It's not on the wane, it's on the increase (probably partly because of social media) and that's my reason why I wouldn't want them anywhere near the English Leagues."

I clearly state there is anti-English/anti the Union ....ON ONE SIDE, and anti Catholic ON THE OTHER.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
One of the overlooked reasons is that Leicester do actually have the makings of not only a very good club side, but the nucleus of a future England side. Madison, Gray, Maguire, Barnes, Chilwell...these are really good players. No wonder Southgate keeps watching them.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The worst nickname in football is surely ''The Gers'' I can imagine how that came about

'We need a nickname. We Cannee not have one for a Football club, All the top teams have one''
''Aye, saying Rangers is far too complicated for me. We need something simple''
''What about the Blues?
''Well Jock is colour blind so we cannee be having that''
''Well I reckon 'the Gers' It gets rid of a syllable
''That's cracking that is, it's like Ran-Gers but just a bit shorter''
''The Gers is great for me, it's not too complicated to remember''
''Pass me a Tennants Super, it's agreed''

I'll see your "Gers" and raise you "The Ton", as Greenock Morton inexplicably like to refer to themselves.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think anybody is suggesting Celtic & Rangers aren't big clubs. Steven Gerrard wouldn't have left his cushy gig at Anfield for Dundee or Kilmarnock, for goodness' sake.

But the MTL is hardly a global draw, and aside from a few key games against Rangers and maybe Aberdeen, there can only be so much fun to be had from spanking St Johnstone four times a season. I must admit, when the annual Celtic title win is confirmed and they dedicate a few minutes on SkySports to the "achievement", I always find it mildly entertaining watching their players celebrate like they've just won the World Cup. It always seems to lack a certain dignity when you're doing cartwheels around the pitch because you're better over forty odd games than Motherwell, Dundee and St Mirren.

The MTL for me is a cushy gig for players who aren't good enough to play in the Premier League (or Scott Sinclair Syndrome, to give it its correct title). It's stuffed with blokes who were half decent in the English Championship (and some not even that good). Kris Commons is a Celtic hero, FFS. Imagine if Knockaert signed for Celtic. He'd score forty goals a season.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
You need to read my post better - nowhere have I stated there is anti English sentiment from both sides.

"Yes, Celtic and Rangers are both huge football clubs, but as far as being anti Celtic (and Rangers) just have a look at Twitter - it's full of anti English/anti the Union/pro Irish Republicanism hatred on one side, and anti Catholic on the other. It's not 'banter' it's pure hatred and goes far beyond football. It's not on the wane, it's on the increase (probably partly because of social media) and that's my reason why I wouldn't want them anywhere near the English Leagues."

I clearly state there is anti-English/anti the Union ....ON ONE SIDE, and anti Catholic ON THE OTHER.

OK, sorry if I misunderstod !

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47469652

Brendan Rodgers' family 'hid' in house as thieves stole Celtic medals

Brendan Rodgers' wife and stepdaughter are believed to have been inside his East Dunbartonshire home when it was broken into.

The BBC understands Charlotte Searle and her six-year-old daughter hid as burglars ransacked the property.

Family possessions were stolen, including medals won during Rodgers' reign as Celtic manager.

Police confirmed that the Bearsden house was broken into at 02:00 on Wednesday, but no-one was hurt.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "At around 01:55 on Wednesday 6 March, police received a report of a break-in at a property in Bearsden.

"No one was injured in the incident but a number of items were stolen from the property."

Police added that an investigation had begun and inquiries were ongoing.

Rodgers was appointed Leicester City's new manager at the end of February after leaving his job at Celtic.

The Northern Irishman signed a contract with the English Premier League club until June 2022.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here