Lyme Regis
canvas.png

canvas2.png

canvas3.png

canvas4.png

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Remember when you wanted to book a holiday in the Med and you had to go into a 'holiday shop' and choose from the, oh, 40 options on their 2 pages of Ceefax-ish screens. Or you could scroll through 60 pages of the ITV equivalent that involved you having to phone up some dubious looking companies to enquire about offers that probably didn't even exist. Looking back, it's a bit of a wonder that any of us ever made it abroad for our holidays

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Remember when you wanted to book a holiday in the Med and you had to go into a 'holiday shop' and choose from the, oh, 40 options on their 2 pages of Ceefax-ish screens. Or you could scroll through 60 pages of the ITV equivalent that involved you having to phone up some dubious looking companies to enquire about offers that probably didn't even exist. Looking back, it's a bit of a wonder that any of us ever made it abroad for our holidays

canvas12.png

canvas13.png

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The table is from 98 when we were at Priestfield.

The 1-0 over Hull is 1995 and the cricket I'm guessing is from the same day.

The City fixture is from 1989 when, despite a poor season when we finished 19th, we managed to beat City, Pompey and Birmingham in 8 days in early April that secured our place in the 2nd tier.

Ceefax always makes me think of my late Dad who was an avid user. We'd have it on, interminably slowly paging round, when Radio Brighton was limited to half-dozen live reports per game and John Henty or Neil Coppendale would be wittering on or playing Andrew Gold or Neil Diamond 'hits'. Or they'd have it on in the window of Radio Rentals in London Road and you'd hang around trying not to look suspicious until the FT clicked on the latest away defeat.

PG

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

Yep, my parents booked us on a last minute holiday to Malta using a deal they found on Teletext. Was well worth it, overshadowed by getting stung by a jellyfish though.

Good times. I remember pressing page 302 for the football scores to keep updating. When the BBC moved over to the red button, I think many of the page numbers stayed the same. Man, I'm such a drip :cry:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That's how I explain what the internet is to my aunt. "Kind of like teletext, but with better pictures and a bit more stuff"

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
canvas6.png

canvas7.png

canvas8.png

canvas9.png

canvas10.png

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Yep, my parents booked us on a last minute holiday to Malta using a deal they found on Teletext. Was well worth it, overshadowed by getting stung by a jellyfish though.

Good times. I remember pressing page 302 for the football scores to keep updating. When the BBC moved over to the red button, I think many of the page numbers stayed the same. Man, I'm such a drip :cry:

CANVAS14.png

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Damn all the jellyfish

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Bergkamp on £25,000 a week? And to think Ozil is on £350,000 :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I can still remember some of the page numbers off the top of my head-

300- Sport
301 - Sport Headlines
302 - Football
312 - Football news in brief
340 - Cricket
370 - Rugby
200 - City and Finance
400 - Weather...............

and if you never staggered in, off your head, in the early hours of the morning and tried to watch 'Pages from Ceefax' on BBC2 , complete with accompanying Muzak, you haven't lived.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The City game was the one when the UK's oldest ball boy, Keith Cuss, headed the ball up into the west to run the clock down.

City complained to the ref and the press afterwards, and Keith got binned by Dudley Sizen on the Monday.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I remember the Channel 4 teletext service having an agony aunt page. Occasionally (very occasional) one of the letters and responses was a little bit eroto. :ohmy::banana::blush:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Ah happy days on a rare occasion i missed a game in Ryman 1/2 /3 ,no mobiles Shotstalk at a £1 a minute and wouldn't give the score out until about 8 minutes into the call .Ceefax was the way usually page 46 of 74,it would get to page 45 then jump to page 47:annoyed:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
For me, if i'm not at a game, I need the most stress free way of finding out the latest score. I can't listen to the BBC radio commentary, or even the national radio - 'There's been a goal at the Amex!' Just those words make me sweat and fear the worst. I can't watch Soccer Saturday, for pretty much the same reason - or because some buffoon in the studio with over sized headphones is shouting 'goooooaaaaaaal' in the background.

With Ceefax, it was so basic, effective, and stress free. So the way I did it - the latest scores for our league would be over 3 or 4 pages. I'd know which page our game was likely to appear on. So as our page came round, I'd obscure the screen with my hand (from a distance, my hands aren't the size of a tv), and very slowly reveal the team we were playing, followed by us. It broke the score to me gentle, and on my terms!

Might sound odd I know. I do the same with scores on phone apps now.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The City game was the one when the UK's oldest ball boy, Keith Cuss, headed the ball up into the west to run the clock down.

City complained to the ref and the press afterwards, and Keith got binned by Dudley Sizen on the Monday.

Keith was on our Supporters Club team trip to play in a tournament in Paris in the summer of 85?86. Captained by Bennett Dean, the press photographer, we were knocked outin the QFs by Ajax on penalties.

Anyone know what happened to Keith?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here