Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Britbox - UK alternative to Netflix!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Report here says that the BBC and ITV are launching Britbox, to rival Netflix.
IMO I cannot see this working, as they're is too much streaming services at the moment, and it'll only show the same stuff as all the others.
The cynic in me, feels this is just another money making scheme for the rival TV companies.
I already have Netflix, for a fiver a month, and can only justify for the use we get out of it.
This is the sole reason why we don't pay for Sky, as well never watch any of it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
We've had Britbox in Canada for the past few months for $9. Currently watching Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister which is still relevant today. As an expat, being able to watch British comedies and TV drama shows from the past has been great. E.g. Are You Being Served, QI, etc.

I don't do cable, just Britbox and Netflix covering all my TV watching needs.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
This should be one for the things that make you feel old thread.

I've got Sky (and yes I'm being ripped off and I know that going through the hassle of threatening to leave will save me loads of money and it's on my to do list etc etc) and Amazon Prime but now a Sky upgrade includes Netflix and now there's this new thing and it's all rather confusing.

So I'll probably just bumble along paying over the odds (not sky movies though as I'm not that stupid) as long as I can eat all the FOOTBALL and CRICKET that is on television with my EYES.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Reckon it is a bit late in the day to try to be rivalling Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. They already have huge established customer base so can't see people ditching them to pay for this instead.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Presumably they'll pull all content from Netflix/Amazon Prime as and when rights deal expire and also, possibly, reduce down the amount that can be viewed on iPlayer/ITV Hub, or only have it on those platforms for a very limited time.

With Disney also going their own way with Disney+ - and they own a LOT of content with their various acquisitions - people are either going to have to be quite selective or subscribe to many services.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Presumably they'll pull all content from Netflix/Amazon Prime as and when rights deal expire and also, possibly, reduce down the amount that can be viewed on iPlayer/ITV Hub, or only have it on those platforms for a very limited time.

With Disney also going their own way with Disney+ - and they own a LOT of content with their various acquisitions - people are either going to have to be quite selective or subscribe to many services.

You could always sign up to Netflix, and see if they're interested in making a series, entitled 'Northstand Controversy' :D

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Yep. It's shit really. "More choice" = "**** you, pay more".

See BT Sport.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We've had Britbox in Canada for the past few months for $9. Currently watching Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister which is still relevant today. As an expat, being able to watch British comedies and TV drama shows from the past has been great. E.g. Are You Being Served, QI, etc.

Seen that advertised a few times. Last time I checked, they don’t have any Channel 4 content which is a shame. ANYTHING ITV does not interest me at all (trash TV). So essentially paying $9 a month for BBC content seems a stretch to me.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I can see the appeal for them to run their own service outside the UK.

However, why should BBC licence fee payers have to effectively pay twice for a subscription?

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I love in the article on the BBC earlier on they listed high quality dramas available on BBC and Love Island as the ITV offering, it appears that someone from ITV got the hump as it's changed now.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
hmmm, if they had all the old Doctor Who and Blake's 7 on I'd give it a watch for a bit and 'Boys From the Black Stuff' as well, apart from that can't think of much, can't think the content would match say All 4 (all of 'Hill Street Blues'. 'St Elsewhere' and 'GBH').

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

However, why should BBC licence fee payers have to effectively pay twice for a subscription?

very dodgy ground for the BBC.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You can get all those shows on UKTVplay or Daily Motion for free.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A mere five pounds for reruns of Terry & June and Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggit ?
I'm IN

selwyn-froggit.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oh goodie we could now get to watch all 3340 episodes of Coronation Street that Ken Barlow has been in

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

No one is being forced to buy it.

What's the difference between this and buying episodes of BBC series on VHS back in the 80s/90s - usually 1hr 30 mins per tape at £10?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Had Britbox for months. If you also have it in Canada, note that if you have VPN, setting yourself to US unlocks other programs not available in Canada. One example is EastEnders, which US viewers can access same day as the UK, but it is not on the Canadian version at all. Mind you, I'd say that is a good reason to keep your location as Canada.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here