Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

Britbox - UK alternative to Netflix!

0 Not allowed!
    Report here says that the BBC and ITV are launching Britbox, to rival Netflix.
    IMO I cannot see this working, as they're is too much streaming services at the moment, and it'll only show the same stuff as all the others.
    The cynic in me, feels this is just another money making scheme for the rival TV companies.
    I already have Netflix, for a fiver a month, and can only justify for the use we get out of it.
    This is the sole reason why we don't pay for Sky, as well never watch any of it.
    Last edited by AmexRuislip; 27-02-2019 at 11:53.
    https://youtu.be/oCyXsHC-lQ4

@Brighton Lines "The MASSIVE shield: Amex Ruislip who thinks Sheffield Wednesday are 13th in the Premier League"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      We've had Britbox in Canada for the past few months for $9. Currently watching Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister which is still relevant today. As an expat, being able to watch British comedies and TV drama shows from the past has been great. E.g. Are You Being Served, QI, etc.

I don't do cable, just Britbox and Netflix covering all my TV watching needs.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      This should be one for the things that make you feel old thread.

I've got Sky (and yes I'm being ripped off and I know that going through the hassle of threatening to leave will save me loads of money and it's on my to do list etc etc) and Amazon Prime but now a Sky upgrade includes Netflix and now there's this new thing and it's all rather confusing.

So I'll probably just bumble along paying over the odds (not sky movies though as I'm not that stupid) as long as I can eat all the FOOTBALL and CRICKET that is on television with my EYES.
      "I never mentioned horses!"

1 Not allowed!
      That's such a shit name.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

1 Not allowed!
      Reckon it is a bit late in the day to try to be rivalling Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. They already have huge established customer base so can't see people ditching them to pay for this instead.

0 Not allowed!
      Presumably they'll pull all content from Netflix/Amazon Prime as and when rights deal expire and also, possibly, reduce down the amount that can be viewed on iPlayer/ITV Hub, or only have it on those platforms for a very limited time.

With Disney also going their own way with Disney+ - and they own a LOT of content with their various acquisitions - people are either going to have to be quite selective or subscribe to many services.
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Presumably they'll pull all content from Netflix/Amazon Prime as and when rights deal expire and also, possibly, reduce down the amount that can be viewed on iPlayer/ITV Hub, or only have it on those platforms for a very limited time.

With Disney also going their own way with Disney+ - and they own a LOT of content with their various acquisitions - people are either going to have to be quite selective or subscribe to many services.
      You could always sign up to Netflix, and see if they're interested in making a series, entitled 'Northstand Controversy'
      https://youtu.be/oCyXsHC-lQ4

@Brighton Lines "The MASSIVE shield: Amex Ruislip who thinks Sheffield Wednesday are 13th in the Premier League"
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post

Yep. It's shit really. "More choice" = "**** you, pay more".

See BT Sport.
      "I never mentioned horses!"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Seagull View Post
      We've had Britbox in Canada for the past few months for $9. Currently watching Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister which is still relevant today. As an expat, being able to watch British comedies and TV drama shows from the past has been great. E.g. Are You Being Served, QI, etc.

I don't do cable, just Britbox and Netflix covering all my TV watching needs.
      Seen that advertised a few times. Last time I checked, they don’t have any Channel 4 content which is a shame. ANYTHING ITV does not interest me at all (trash TV). So essentially paying $9 a month for BBC content seems a stretch to me.
      Barndoor Gatting, Barndoor Davies, Barndoor Holroyd, Barndoor Paynter. Who is next for this coveted title? Barnes is currently favourite to take the crown from Billy Paynter.

1 Not allowed!
      I can see the appeal for them to run their own service outside the UK.

However, why should BBC licence fee payers have to effectively pay twice for a subscription?