Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southern Sound/Southern FM/Heart closing in Portslade

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I assume they still have on the road sales people local to there territory’s?

But will the streamlining see them target national rather than local advertising?

With all the stations they own they can offer huge deals right across their networks.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ironic - in the week that saw the return of Alan Partridge to BBC TV we see the axing of the Norwich-based radio breakfast show at Heart's East Anglia base.

The days of Dave Clifton, Sidekick Simon, Wally Banter are numbered.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I assume they still have on the road sales people local to there territory’s?

If they're going to do anything to attract local businesses, they'll probably have sales staff working from home (who live in - in this instance - Brighton & Hove) who can claim phone and car expenses, as well as their commission.

Other than that, it makes no sense to have people calling from Fareham and/or travelling to Brighton in order to sell the airtime to local businesses. But who knows what they'll do...?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Guinness Boy;8795738 said:
Beyond that my only real experience with Heart led me to believe our car radio was broken. The wife stuck it on and it immediately promised "more music variety" yet all the radio was capable of playing was Ed Shearan, Bruno Mars, Ellie Goulding and Maroon 5. It was like it was possessed.

This. Can't stand the constant repeats, no idea how they get away with that slogan as it's patiently false. Absolute Radio is the best IMHO. No repeats during the work day.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This. Can't stand the constant repeats, no idea how they get away with that slogan as it's patiently false. Absolute Radio is the best IMHO. No repeats during the work day.

The irritating thing being the number of times they repeat the fact that there’s no repeats! They even did a self-deprecating advert about it a while ago!

Agree they’re the best station currently, though. I haven’t listened to Heart for years (probably since before it even became Heart) - mostly because of that tit Jack the Lad.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ironic - in the week that saw the return of Alan Partridge to BBC TV we see the axing of the Norwich-based radio breakfast show at Heart's East Anglia base.

The days of Dave Clifton, Sidekick Simon, Wally Banter are numbered.

I hear North Norfolk Digital is going to be amalgamated with South Norfolk Digital to form one big East Anglian radio POWERHOUSE.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I listen to Absolute Radio a lot of the time and I agree it's the best of the commercial stations. I do think they're contracted to play George Ezra's entire back catalogue every day though. I don't mind his songs, but I don't need to hear all of them every day.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
No doubt the offices will be converted in to more "luxury" flats :rolleyes:

Beyond that my only real experience with Heart led me to believe our car radio was broken. The wife stuck it on and it immediately promised "more music variety" yet all the radio was capable of playing was Ed Shearan, Bruno Mars, Ellie Goulding and Maroon 5. It was like it was possessed.

HA, I don't listen to Heart but just tuned in to see what was playing.

Ellie Goulding...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully this won't mean the end of Jack the Lad, whose banteriffic bon mots always have me in absolute hysterics of a morning.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Around here, our local 'More Music Variety' Heart station :shootself is Heart Cambridgeshire.

The Breakfast Show presenters (during the 'The Apprentice' series last autumn) displayed an impressive level of prescience...

Attachments

• Heart.png
    Heart.png
    302.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I hear North Norfolk Digital is going to be amalgamated with South Norfolk Digital to form one big East Anglian radio POWERHOUSE.

Hell will freeze over before Alan interacts with callers from Ipswich.

Jul 7, 2003
14 regional breakfast shows....out of interest how regional was it?

While working in Plymouth recently, my taxi driver had the local Heart breakfast show on. Needless to say that while they were inane tw@ts like the Sussex ones, they were definitely West Country tw@ts playing the same shite music and with the same level of mindless chatter.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I remember when Southern Sound even had a studio in Eastbourne, which was their token effort to have a footprint in the new Eastbourne & Hastings franchise area – effectively a very minor satellite of Portslade.

Shame that a genuinely local commercial radio option for the whole of Sussex seems unachievable, but it's pretty obvious that the ad revenue just isn't there to deliver a quality service.

Is that true though? I genuinely have no idea but I don't think you can make that leap from the decision of the parent group - Like any corporate they will look to grow revenues and cut expenses to maximise profit, they've chosen (unsurprisingly) to do that by consolidating their operations. That doesn't mean that a local station could not survive.

Personally find it really really sad and a reflection of the global direction of travel in the world - I listened a lot to Juice and Southern back in the day, there's something comforting about listening to people talk about and report on the areas you know and that are important to you and that will be gone, and it makes me sad. I say this despite the fact the presenters did my head in and I didn't like the music particularly :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
While working in Plymouth recently, my taxi driver had the local Heart breakfast show on. Needless to say that while they were inane tw@ts like the Sussex ones, they were definitely West Country tw@ts playing the same shite music and with the same level of mindless chatter.

Indeed. Whilst it's sad that individual people will lose their jobs, the fact that a load of local stations playing a narrow genre of bland shite music interspersed with inane chatter will be replaced by a single national station playing a narrow genre of bland shite music interspersed with inane chatter is hardly a national tragedy. Radio Sussex is still there if you want local stuff, and the adverts could still be local couldn't they? Afaik they're keeping the same transmitters, so Sussex-based adverts can be broadcast on the Sussex transmitters, and Devon-based ones (for example) could be broadcast on the Plymouth ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here