Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southern Sound/Southern FM/Heart closing in Portslade

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Closing Portslade offices, moving operation to Fareham, 14 regional breakfast shows axed in favour of one London based one starting on 8th April.

Not the local radio they promised us back in 1983.

Tony Millard will be turning in his grave.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you are a national radio station why employ 100 DJ's all over the country to be local? It was bound to happen sooner rather than later. And with all that saving they will probably put a big name on the breakfast show. Is Noel Edmonds available?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Closing Portslade offices, moving operation to Fareham, 14 regional breakfast shows axed in favour of one London based one starting on 8th April.

Did 'they' promise it forever? Because 35 years is a LONG time in media. I'm not surprised it's happened – I'm more surprised it's taken so long.

Sorry for all the job losses and everything, but I went past the offices the other day and saw all the Global signage and thought it was a pretty grand operation for a local radio station.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

14 regional breakfast shows....out of interest how regional was it?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Did 'they' promise it forever? Because 35 years is a LONG time in media. I'm not surprised it's happened – I'm more surprised it's taken so long.

Sorry for all the job losses and everything, but I went past the offices the other day and saw all the Global signage and thought it was a pretty grand operation for a local radio station.

That was exactly my thoughts. It's not like how we all consume music has changed much in 35 years is it? Mind you I heard cassette tapes are making a comeback as the cheapest way to issue physical format new music by 18-24ers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not that I listen but iirc the Portslade did breakfast and drive time for Sussex.

Okay. When I saw 14 I was thinking Worthing Drive Time, Newhaven Drive Time etc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No doubt the offices will be converted in to more "luxury" flats :rolleyes:

Beyond that my only real experience with Heart led me to believe our car radio was broken. The wife stuck it on and it immediately promised "more music variety" yet all the radio was capable of playing was Ed Shearan, Bruno Mars, Ellie Goulding and Maroon 5. It was like it was possessed.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I remember when Southern Sound even had a studio in Eastbourne, which was their token effort to have a footprint in the new Eastbourne & Hastings franchise area – effectively a very minor satellite of Portslade.

Shame that a genuinely local commercial radio option for the whole of Sussex seems unachievable, but it's pretty obvious that the ad revenue just isn't there to deliver a quality service.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I remember when Southern Sound even had a studio in Eastbourne, which was their token effort to have a footprint in the new Eastbourne & Hastings franchise area – effectively a very minor satellite of Portslade.

Shame that a genuinely local commercial radio option for the whole of Sussex seems unachievable, but it's pretty obvious that the ad revenue just isn't there to deliver a quality service.

Obviously the main revenue stream was advertising, do people advertise on the radio these days in any great number? I suppose on reflection they will still sell local advertising based on local frequencies.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No doubt the offices will be converted in to more "luxury" flats :rolleyes:

Beyond that my only real experience with Heart led me to believe our car radio was broken. The wife stuck it on and it immediately promised "more music variety" yet all the radio was capable of playing was Ed Shearan, Bruno Mars, Ellie Goulding and Maroon 5. It was like it was possessed.

:lolol:
You forgot Robbie. :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Obviously the main revenue stream was advertising, do people advertise on the radio these days in any great number? I suppose on reflection they will still sell local advertising based on local frequencies.

Radio advertising is in pretty reasonable shape.

It's one thing the Portslade offices closing for broadcasting, but now all ad sales will be done in Fareham, and this is where they may come unstuck. There will be national ads of course, but local knowledge of any business community is always helpful - nay, necessary. Selling ads from 50 miles away isn't going to be ideal.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Radio advertising is in pretty reasonable shape.

It's one thing the Portslade offices closing for broadcasting, but now all ad sales will be done in Fareham, and this is where they may come unstuck. There will be national ads of course, but local knowledge of any business community is always helpful - nay, necessary. Selling ads from 50 miles away isn't going to be ideal.

I assume they still have on the road sales people local to there territory’s?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here