Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crying over football/sport

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I welled up when March got the second against Wigan in THAT match at The Amex. Luckily, don't think the bloke next to me noticed.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I welled up when March got the second against Wigan in THAT match at The Amex. Luckily, don't think the bloke next to me noticed.

He didn't, as he had something in his own eye at the time... :whistle:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yep. At Withdean when I was 15

The ball got kicked into the crowd and I stood in the stairway and headed it back.

It was half forehead and half nose. Made my eyes water right up.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Never understood grown men crying at football. Odd.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I've had a tear in my eye through the emotion of the occasion on a few things down the years, but there have been only 2 things that made me cry - properly, really cry/wail/blub - they were:

Losing on penalties to West Germany in Italia '90 - I was 11 and it was just utter devastation.
Losing on penalties to Argentina in France 98 - I was in Hot Shots on North Street and was really drunk by the end and seeing Michael Owen crying on of the TV screens afterwards set me off as well - big time.*

* - Far from being embarrassing crying hysterically in the centre of Brighton as a 19 year old, I discovered this raw display of emotion and resulting receipt of unintended sympathy and comforting words and gestures from random strangers around me was also inadvertently a fantastic pulling technique. :thumbsup:

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Losing at home to Darlington at the Goldstone in December 1996. Don't think I've felt lower as an Albion fan, it felt like the end, no ground and 13 points adrift.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've had a tear in my eye through the emotion of the occasion on a few things down the years, but there have been only 2 things that made me cry - properly, really cry/wail/blub - they were:

Losing on penalties to West Germany in Italia '90 - I was 11 and it was just utter devastation.
Losing on penalties to Argentina in France 98 - I was in Hot Shots on North Street and was really drunk by the end and seeing Michael Owen crying on of the TV screens afterwards set me off as well - big time.*

* - Far from being embarrassing crying hysterically in the centre of Brighton as a 19 year old, I discovered this raw display of emotion and resulting receipt of unintended sympathy and comforting words and gestures from random strangers around me was also inadvertently a fantastic pulling technique. [emoji106]
Showing emotions and embracing the camp side of sartorial elegance are the two most effective pulling tricks of all time.

Being happily married for 14 years I now feel comfortable with sharing this most cherished secret in public.

My mate - "How the **** did you pull her you lucky *******?! Way out of your league and you were dressed like a ****!"

Me (in batman voice) - "It's the camp Craig. Chicks love the camp."

[emoji23]

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Men let things build up - work/family/finances/footy - until the fookin flood barriers open. A good cry and a decent drunken night with your closest mates and you can reset - steel yourself and get on with carrying the load. Men and their ability/necessity to carry the universe on their shoulders is criminally underestimated.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I am not sure if this qualifies but if it wasn't for sport and the REMF........

I cried my eyes out when I stood on the wooden bridge at shoreham reading the comments made to the Shoreham air show disaster and what really set me off was seeing Jacob's picture and the messages left. I met him a few times through REMF and although I wouldn't have regarded him as a close friend, I regarded him as a mate. He was a lovely bloke and taken far too soon. I wept buckets that day.

your post has set me off :(

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
I had a little something in my eye when Muzza hit the runs that won us the Championship in 2003. I opened a bottle of fizz and toasted my dad who first took me to the cricket. He was a regular supporter for 50+ years and would have been overjoyed at seeing Sussex win it - he died 11 years too soon for it.

That was an emotional day

So right. I was sat there thinking about all the Sussex supporters over the years, who saw some great players but never a team that won the County Championship.

That and my own friend who was seriously ill, couldn't be there and died the following July.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Close-ups of fans crying into their replica shirts when their team has just got relegated is one of the highlights of the season.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Emotions are a funny thing.

No shame in shedding a tear whatever the reason.

Agreed. Just never felt the need to do it over a game of football.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’ve never cried over football, but, I’ve been close twice, the final whistle against Hereford, and when the teams came out for the first league game against Donny at the Amex. I think I only stopped a full on snotty, blubbering, meltdown by singing GOSBTS at the top of my voice.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. Just never felt the need to do it over a game of football.

That's fair, I have a few times and it tends to be the catalyst more than the sole reason, lots of stress in my life reaching its peak in one 90 minute game, last time I got emotional was last year when we beat United to be safe. I felt a lot better about a lot of different things in life after that little outburst. Footy tends to be my catalyst more than my reason but that's probably because my emotions are just so intense over a small period, I cannot say for sure, but I think it probably is the same for some others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here