Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Renewing for Next Season ??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I first went a few months before the famous “Seagulls”.

I notice on the Palace programme that is posted on the world cup of programmes thread, from February 1976 that a dolphin features on the cover. Wasn’t that the game the Seagulls chant started?

My first Albion game too.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I wouldn't bother if I were you.. you are unlikely to get the step up in entertainment that you wish for. Not sure why it appears that it is worse this year than last to you? If you want big steps to keep with your expectatons then maybe this is not the Club for you?

Oh really? I grew up in Hove, have lived on and off in Brighton and my first child was born at the Royall Sussex. I've followed Albion since my Dad took me to my first game in 1952. I had a season ticket for years in the old South stand at the Goldstone and unhappily made the trek to Gillingham a few times. Too late now to change, even if I wanted to.

Through all that there surely have been plenty of disappointments but also some brilliant days. Trouble is, the brilliant days seem fewer to-day. Last year it was all about survival and guess what - that's gonna be the mantra again this season. And next? And the one after that? At some stage the game plan surely has to change?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
For goodness sake get a grip we were the second worst professional football in the English game not that long ago we now have a wonderful stadium great team and coaching staff look where we have come from to where we are now we have enough to stay up and beating Hudersfield Saturday is the start, but let's suppose we do go down it's not the end of the world it's really not we could have go be out of business just a short few seasons ago

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I notice on the Palace programme that is posted on the world cup of programmes thread, from February 1976 that a dolphin features on the cover. Wasn’t that the game the Seagulls chant started?

My first Albion game too.

My first was Jan 76, Brighton 6 0 Colchester, in front of 16,000. Taken by an older brother. Hooked for life.

I’ve still got all those programmes, skinny little things back then.

I was at ‘the run of the mill’ CP 2-0 game that February, over 33,000 plus thousands Bamber/Pavey didn’t record for tax purposes.

Yes, the Albion’s own website says that was the match where the chant began.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I’m seriously considering giving up my ticket, not for any other reason other than I’m not getting to as many games as I used to.
I’ve had a season ticket since 1990 but I’ve missed too many to justify it over the last few seasons, I’m in the my twilight years of my rugby career so playing as much as I can......but my quandary is whether to keep for when I do stop playing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh really? I grew up in Hove, have lived on and off in Brighton and my first child was born at the Royall Sussex. I've followed Albion since my Dad took me to my first game in 1952. I had a season ticket for years in the old South stand at the Goldstone and unhappily made the trek to Gillingham a few times. Too late now to change, even if I wanted to.

Through all that there surely have been plenty of disappointments but also some brilliant days. Trouble is, the brilliant days seem fewer to-day. Last year it was all about survival and guess what - that's gonna be the mantra again this season. And next? And the one after that? At some stage the game plan surely has to change?

I think the PL now comprises 11 teams unlikely to drop due to huge player spending and wages, and a willingness to spend huge in January if necessary to stay there.

Making wins for the likes of the Albion a rare event.

Our hope .... that with more PL money, we too become one of those clubs with an array of pacey attacking threats or the ability to frequently squeeze out wins. Then trips to The Amex will become more rewarding for us.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If the worst happens and we go down, I'll still be watching a far higher standard of football in a higher league than I've generally watched over the last 52 years.

So I guess I had better renew :shrug:

I do feel for some on here who for personal reasons don't have the choice (And I know it's actually not cancelling my DD, but that doesn't sound as good)

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
championship is decent.

Days at the amex are great days out generally.

Silly to give up.

Must be newbies

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Championship football will mean the end of Weekend Football.
We will be on every Friday, Monday, Tuesday etc etc…

There are no pluses in getting back to Championship football.
We have a better squad than last year and better than teams like Palace and Bournmouth so something is wrong in how our players are sent out and prepared.
That normally falls down to one man.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Championship football will mean the end of Weekend Football.
We will be on every Friday, Monday, Tuesday etc etc…

There are no pluses in getting back to Championship football.
We have a better squad than last year and better than teams like Palace and Bournmouth so something is wrong in how our players are sent out and prepared.
That normally falls down to one man.

Loads of Saturday matches in the Championship.

Friday evening games are great.

Palace and Bmuff both have some exceptionally good attacking players, including the diver.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hate to admit it, and will probably get a load of grief for it - but we arent this year...but its purely for financial reasons, not because of recent results. Been there since the start in 2011, but with our eldest son hopefully heading off to Military College in Loughborough this summer, we will need to save all the money we can to get him through the next few years. With our youngest in the County cricket setup as well now (which is costing us a pretty packet every year) something had to give.
Weve had a brilliant time at the Amex, and will really miss all the friends weve made that sit around us, but unfortunately its time to go back to listening on the radio each week...

My son went to Welbeck and is now at Loughborough uni. You shouldn’t need to support him much financially if yours is on the DTUS scheme as they get a good bursary and paid training in the holidays. My son bought a record deck with his bursary and has been skiing every winter and mountaineering in the summer without me having to put my hand in my pocket!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Going to watch The Albion has been fun for a while, can't see why you wouldn't renew for any other reason than financial.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
For the first season in approximately 20 years I've not been to any away games this season (So far) I foolishly decided the all day drinking etc was getting too much. However, the jobs my other half has come up with to 'fill' my spare Saturday's has convinced me that there is no level of performance, bad results, or anything else that will persuade me not to renew my season ticket until I am safely in a nursing home or box. Even if I can not afford to renew I shall go and stand outside if necessary :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The division we're in next season won't make a massive amount of difference to longtime Albion fans, anymore than it ever did in the past. Makes a whole world of difference, not to mention pain, to the club's ambitions to become established as a PL club tho. And that ST waiting list will simply MELT away. F*ck 'em.

High stakes for the club, and the parachute payments won't make a blind bit of difference, other than hopefully giving Tony Bloom a bit of of his outlay back.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As a Bronze Member I’ve sat around the Amex, interesting seeing it all and some tickets eg Newcastle this April just £30.

That’s a fair point. My season ticket equates to £40 a game in the Premier League next season. I’m going to avoid calculating how many I’d have to miss to make it better to pick and choose as it might surprise me!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One things for sure Championship will blow the ST waiting list to shit soon be back to half a season ticket at Christmas.

A lot of the “waiting list” is made up of folk who have no intention of getting a season ticket. They just have the bronze membership as it’s the only way the club will recognise their previous support to give them priority for tickets.

If the club just used purchase history for non-season ticket holders, the waiting list would be small. However, it’s a good money making scheme that squeezes a few more quid out of everyone, so it’s here to stay, sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here