Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it time for back to basics?

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
4-4-1-1
Conceded possession. Sit behind the ball. Minimal chances created, but play to not lose. Not great watch, but seemed effective.

4-3-3
Possession based play, creates a bunch of chances, but leaves us exposed at the back. Enjoyable to watch, but incredibly frustrating at the lack of chances taken.

I vote back to 4-4-1-1 with bissy as our attacking midfielder.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
4-4-1-1
Conceded possession. Sit behind the ball. Minimal chances created, but play to not lose. Not great watch, but seemed effective.

4-3-3
Possession based play, creates a bunch of chances, but leaves us exposed at the back. Enjoyable to watch, but incredibly frustrating at the lack of chances taken.

I vote back to 4-4-1-1 with bissy as our attacking midfielder.

Very surprised we did not return to 4411 tonight actually.

Einstein .jpg

Jakeg

Feb 7, 2016
Pretty sure we started with 4-4-1-1, Hughton then changed back to 4-3-3 after about 20 minutes. After that we looked much better

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Pretty sure we started with 4-4-1-1, Hughton then changed back to 4-3-3 after about 20 minutes. After that we looked much better

Was definitely 4-3-3 from the start, we were just bloody awful for the first 15 minutes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was definitely 4-3-3 from the start, we were just bloody awful for the first 15 minutes.

It absolutely wasn’t.

Groß was behind Murray and we were getting destroyed. Hughton called him over to have a chat in a break in play, and he fell back to make a 3, on about 18 minutes.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It absolutely wasn’t.

Groß was behind Murray and we were getting destroyed. Hughton called him over to have a chat in a break in play, and he fell back to make a 3, on about 18 minutes.

Ok well they called it wrong on the tv, and I saw it wrong. You are obviously correct.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We did! And got overrun in midfield.

I really dont understand what you watch as at no time was we over run in midfield which was our strong point and pointed out by the stream commentator, where we were dominating play.. So much so that they took off their creative midfielder and brought on Mendy to try to stem our midfield. Their strength was in their counter attacks to the front men.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Interesting response.

Were you at the game tonight? Must've missed seeing Groß playing behind Murray, making runs beyond him and into the channels. ???

Yeah, you do know you can play a three man midfield and get beyond the striker?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I really dont understand what you watch as at no time was we over run in midfield which was our strong point and pointed out by the stream commentator, where we were dominating play.. So much so that they took off their creative midfielder and brought on Mendy to try to stem our midfield. Their strength was in their counter attacks to the front men.

They did that with ten minutes to go. This discussion is about how we STARTED the game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Forget the talk of changing formations just get the attitude and application by the players right and all will be well.

Agree. In fact, nothing wrong with the attitude or application either, just need to cut out the errors, and finish! Easy. :smile:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the problem we have had this and last year is lack of pace to make 4-4-1-1 work. Murray ends up isolate and ineffectual, defending doesnt switch fast enough, move forward quickly and so opposition can regroup. needs better/simpler passing from DM role and more dynamic no10 (Gros as gifted as he is, is not right), and midfield that move back and forth. or 4-3-3 more emphasis on wide play, are we then too predicatible putting in (poor) crosses? feels like one or two key player changes and either could work, just not got the personel right now, so we regress to defensive 4-5-1.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Of course, but the previous explanation of the formation being 4-4-1-1 didn't work.

As I said originally, ok. I see no reason to argue the point. I will await the cocky reply, obviously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here