Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Houghton in or out

Shall we get Chantelle in instead of Chris?

• Yes

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 199 74.3%
  • Fence

Votes: 49 18.3%

• Total voters

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I consider the first goal sloppy in that we lost possession cheaply and had committed ourselves too much. But yes, agreed, Leicester are lightning on the break. I don't really understand how Hughton could get any flak for last night. If we had just a couple of Leicester's attacking players in our team, we'd probably have won comfortably. So there's nothing much wrong with the boss - we just need better players, which will come from staying up - even if it's a struggle for a few seasons.

Agree with you.. that said, I still think we are one of 10-12 teams who will always be in a relegation fight at this level - we have a log way to go to be at the level where we might not expect to be scrapping until end of April for enough points - Palace, West Ham, Leicester all might expect not to be there, but they are only ever a bad run from being dragged in most seasons.. Apart from Big 6, Everton are really the only side who might expect to stay up every year.. 1 or 2 comfortable seasons doesn't set the tone for the next ones..

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Presumably the goal was to get more points than last season and finish higher in the table, in which case 14th and 41 points would represent success.

To do that we'll probably have to finish above Hudds, Fulham, Cardiff, Southampton, Burnley and one of Palace or Newcastle. It's doable - we'd have to beat Hudds, Cardiff, Newcastle, Southampton and draws vs Palace and Bournemouth. I don't see us getting much out of Spurs, Arsenal or City, maybe nick a point against Wolves?

Doable in theory, but based on recent results? I don't think so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with you.. that said, I still think we are one of 10-12 teams who will always be in a relegation fight at this level - we have a log way to go to be at the level where we might not expect to be scrapping until end of April for enough points - Palace, West Ham, Leicester all might expect not to be there, but they are only ever a bad run from being dragged in most seasons.. Apart from Big 6, Everton are really the only side who might expect to stay up every year.. 1 or 2 comfortable seasons doesn't set the tone for the next ones..

Everton, Palace, West Ham, Leicester and now Wolves will always spend their way out of it, if need be in January’s. Despite having not disimilar income to the Albion, their playing budgets (all of; transfer fees, loan fees, agents fees and wages) appear to huge in comparison. I can only assume that TB is doing things sustainably/prudently, and the others don’t give a flying feck on how they secure PL football. A long wait, but once [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has the audited figures for 2018/19, my instinct is that the above will be true.

So the top 6 and those 5, leaves 9 clubs at the beginning of each August as the true relegation contenders, with BHAFC very much one of them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The thing is if we get relegated there is probably no better manager out there at getting a team into the PL from the Championship than our Chris, so we'd be downgrading the manager alongside relegation.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There is only one man who will really feel the effects of relegation and that is Tony Bloom. For us it would be a disappointment only although to some on here it would appear to be just fine.

Happy to leave TB to decide what he wants to do, I won’t be calling for CH’s head even if we do go down, would I rather we had a manager who played football like Eddie Howe? Yes I would but I am happy enough with CH and our away performances have definitley been a step up on last season imo, don’t remember the last one that bored me. Being entertained is my only “must have” at football and this season we have been (imo). Last season we were often dire away from home. [emoji2]
First part of this

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Definitely in. I think our performances are better this season, especially away, but one or two players are badly letting him down at key points - problem is, it's a different one or two players each game! We are creating chances in every game at least, but not converting them regularly enough to make up for the defensive lapses. It is worrying, but overall I think we have more quality in the squad than those around us.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The thing is if we get relegated there is probably no better manager out there at getting a team into the PL from the Championship than our Chris, so we'd be downgrading the manager alongside relegation.

I don't understand all of this "no better manager out there to get us out of the Championship".

We are talking about a manager who has guided us to bottom of the PL form table whilst amassing 2 points this year, 6 points since beating Palace on Dec 4. That is shocking.

Burnley might have bounced back sticking with Dyche but their squad was better than ours would be-they actually have strikers under 35 who also score goals. A position that Hughton didn't feel was necessary to strengthen in January. Very poor judgement.

Hughton may well be Mr Nice Guy but he is struggling with the reality of the Premier League. Sometimes a manager reaches that point...It look as though CH is at that point. He has been very good for us in the past, sadly right now he isn't. These are not knee jerk comments, they're certainly not sentimentalist. Change is needed-be that a change of manager or a change in how the coaching staff go about their business. I'll take either one if it keeps us up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Many teams have one excellent striker who can score goals against the run of play. Choking here but Zaha is one of them. If we had just one, quality striker we would have been safe long ago. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'm sure we could have gotten a decent striker for the price we paid for Lard and Ali j.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I doubt our success rate is much different to other Premier League clubs of the same level when it comes to transfers. We’ve had one absolute steal,several players that look decent value, a couple of duds and a couple who haven’t yet lived up to expectations but may yet do so. The Premier League is littered with expensive ‘failures’ - it goes with the territory.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I don't understand all of this "no better manager out there to get us out of the Championship".

We are talking about a manager who has guided us to bottom of the PL form table whilst amassing 2 points this year, 6 points since beating Palace on Dec 4. That is shocking.

Burnley might have bounced back sticking with Dyche but their squad was better than ours would be-they actually have strikers under 35 who also score goals. A position that Hughton didn't feel was necessary to strengthen in January. Very poor judgement.

Hughton may well be Mr Nice Guy but he is struggling with the reality of the Premier League. Sometimes a manager reaches that point...It look as though CH is at that point. He has been very good for us in the past, sadly right now he isn't. These are not knee jerk comments, they're certainly not sentimentalist. Change is needed-be that a change of manager or a change in how the coaching staff go about their business. I'll take either one if it keeps us up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I hope you’re magnanimous enough to come on and eat humble pie if we go on a run or stay up with ease and say you were wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Don't worry. Chris will sort it out.

After all if he keeps doing the same thing over and over again, law of averages says his tactics have to work at some point.

Some say doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same result is a sign of madness.

So by that logic we will be safe then seeing as we are not in the bottom 3 as a result of doing what we have been so far since promotion

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Many teams have one excellent striker who can score goals against the run of play. Choking here but Zaha is one of them. If we had just one, quality striker we would have been safe long ago. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'm sure we could have gotten a decent striker for the price we paid for Lard and Ali j.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

True, but teams that get out of trouble don’t concede 4 to rubbish Fulham and 3 at home against a bottom 3 team at the time. Defence has become a major issue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My view entirely. You're left wondering whether NSC's finest knee-jerk critics behave like this in what passes for real life - where the slightest setback has them full-on suicidal, with any minor upturn inducing a gibbering, uncontrollable hysteria. One fears for their family.

:lolol::bowdown:

To be fair I get the feeling there is a lot of people with low affect, depression and various worries who get some solace from the footy, and a bit of vicarious cameraderie from posting on NSC, and the possibility of relegation after months of disappointing performances (last night's wasn't, IMO, BTW) can tip people into intemperate emoting.

Hooten OUT!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:lolol::bowdown:

To be fair I get the feeling there is a lot of people with low affect, depression and various worries who get some solace from the footy, and a bit of vicarious cameraderie from posting on NSC, and the possibility of relegation after months of disappointing performances (last night's wasn't, IMO, BTW) can tip people into intemperate emoting.

Hooten OUT!!!

The main Everton forum has a good thread on mental health, with a much repeated topic is that their club’s endless toils and setbacks makes them suffer more. (All said seriously by them)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here