61 2005:06.jpg

15/16
71 2015:16.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tough.

I have a fair few 57/58 bequeathed from my father.
While I have fond knowledge of 85/86.

The rest can fook off.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
The first one roots the club firmly in the county and includes the separate crests of Brighton & Hove. Interestingly, those crests collectively made up most of the club crest which is notable by its absence. I like the prescient inclusion of seagulls. Presumably it's anonymous with regard to the game to save on printing costs?

As the years pass, players and personalities emerge to take centre stage whilst the towns are subsumed within the club crest and Sussex disappears from the scene. The advertisers, Crosse & Blackwell etc gradually evolve into Sponsors. Sound familiar?

1945/46 wins hands down for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was at 4 of those games. Unlike most polls on NSC, I don't like this one very much, for some reason. :shrug:

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Really tough choices to start off with!

As Shuggie says, the design of 45/46 is superb and, on cover alone, wins for me too.

The 75/76 match itself was my favourite Goldstone game ever, the content in 85/86 was really good but the 95/96 programmes were just dreadful and there are so many bad memories associated with that season on and off the pitch.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The first one roots the club firmly in the county and includes the separate crests of Brighton & Hove. Interestingly, those crests collectively made up most of the club crest which is notable by its absence. I like the prescient inclusion of seagulls. Presumably it's anonymous with regard to the game to save on printing costs?

As the years pass, players and personalities emerge to take centre stage whilst the towns are subsumed within the club crest and Sussex disappears from the scene. The advertisers, Crosse & Blackwell etc gradually evolve into Sponsors. Sound familiar?

1945/46 wins hands down for me.

Post-war austerity (and paper rationing) meant the programme was approximately the size of a postcard, and printed on very flimsy paper.

As with most of the programmes from that era, the cover only tells part of the story. Inside, there are adverts for Pubs, with landlords telling everyone it's 'business as usual' after the conflict.

It's just as much about a snapshot of life in Brighton at the time, as it is about the football club.

A full scan of that programme is here http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/194546/4592708102

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Post-war austerity (and paper rationing) meant the programme was approximately the size of a postcard, and printed on very flimsy paper.

As with most of the programmes from that era, the cover only tells part of the story. Inside, there are adverts for Pubs, with landlords telling everyone it's 'business as usual' after the conflict.

It's just as much about a snapshot of life in Brighton at the time, as it is about the football club.

A full scan of that programme is here http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/194546/4592708102

Thanks for that 👍

In many ways these are so much more than simple football programme when viewed after 75 years. I wonder what people will make of the Zamora programme as the 21st century nears its close ... “How quaint, they still used paper in those days” “Brighton was a great place before the ice caps melted and drowned Sussex” “I can never remember, was he the one between Ward and Gyokores or did he come later” etc etc

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has to be the 76 one for me, my first ever Albion game :thumbsup:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I've voted for 2005 based purely on the picture of Mark McGhee standing in a field. He looks so happy bless him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here