Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Championship is Brilliant

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I work with a Leeds fan. Was very confident earlier in the season, now not so confident. Would love them to miss out again. However I think they have a decent run in after the next 2-3 games which are fairly tough.

Not seen a lot of Sheff Utd, but they seem to be scoring a lot of goals.

I think Leeds will arse it up again. They already seem to be running out of steam dropping points regularly and only winning by single goal margins and often with late winners, even when at home to lower half teams - the sort of games that we put to bed after 50-60 mins during our succesful campaign.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Some NSC’ers think it’s just LFC or Chelsea visiting. I saw the Leicester coach arrive, with Albion fans screaming for Vardy, holding out programmes for autographs. Grown men and women.

Could someone explain what pleasure people get from this? I just mean in general, what pleasure do people get from famous people signing a piece of paper for them? I just don't get it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Excluding an ad hoc post promotion costs, we made a loss of £30m in 2016/17.

Shirley £45m of parachute money plus the sale of Dunk would prevent a “£38m loss” in 2019/20 if we dropped.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]’s input would be great as you say.

A benchmark might be the post relegation season accounts for sensible clubs such as Burnley and Norwich. Very similar to BHAFC in not buying a load of internationals like Wolves and Fulham on big wages.

I doubt that the relegation clauses in our players' contracts would take them back to 16/17 wages, so don't think that the 16/17 loss can be used as a benchmark. I conservatively based the 20% reduction on Middlesbrough's recent accounts and El P's analysis showing an approx 25% reduction in salaries.

Edit: There's also significant increase in player amortisation after spending around 90m in transfer fees over the last 2 years. That would account for approx 25m per year extra loss in total

Anyway, we're not going down this year.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Could someone explain what pleasure people get from this? I just mean in general, what pleasure do people get from famous people signing a piece of paper for them? I just don't get it.

It's a hobby, I suppose. I doubt I could give an articulate response as to why I enjoy watching 11 men kick a ball about on behalf of a club that most of them had no previous affiliation to.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I doubt that the relegation clauses in our players' contracts would take them back to 16/17 wages, so don't think that the 16/17 loss can be used as a benchmark. I conservatively based the 20% reduction on Middlesbrough's recent accounts and El P's analysis showing an approx 25% reduction in salaries.

Edit: There's also significant increase in player amortisation after spending around 90m in transfer fees over the last 2 years. That would account for approx 25m per year extra loss in total

Anyway, we're not going down this year.

Here are the figures.

Before playing trading, in their back in the Championship seasons:

Norwich made a profit of £2m, Burnley a loss of £17m.

At a time when year one parachute payments were £24m, not £45m as they would be for the Albion.

TB/PB would have a budget for that scenario, as we are very much in the relegation mix.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Sky only really care about the Premier League top 6-8 clubs which drive their revenues, everyone other club is seen as a plucky competitor with the occasional lovefest for a club bucking the trend or over achieving i.e Leicester, Burnley, Bournemouth etc. I find the whole Premier League experience quite sterile and often boring and predictable, the journey to the PL is infinitely better than the destination itself. I feel that once you are in the PL you are trapped by the need to retain the huge uplift in income and avoid relegation at all costs. Being relegated from the top tier never seemed to be anything other than a temporary disappointment until the following season, now its seen as a club threatening disaster. I don't really know what the answer is but as in society the rich appear to be getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Languishing now in 16th and well and truly in the relegation mix I find myself somewhat unconcerned about whether we go down or not.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some NSC’ers think it’s just LFC or Chelsea visiting. I saw the Leicester coach arrive, with Albion fans screaming for Vardy, holding out programmes for autographs. Grown men and women.

We did the Amex stadium tour in January, when most people in our tour group admitted a thing for Arsenal, with a mad dash for free Arsenal programmes above those for all other opponents.

Perhaps the definition of a big club, is a fanbase not licking other clubs star players?

My son was a mascot for the Leicester game and we got to watch him go out with the teams from behind the away dug out. Just before the teams came out the subs appeared and Vardy was one of them. He sat right in front of me so I bellowed "Come On BRIGHTON" in his ear. He didn't even bat an eyelid :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My son was a mascot for the Leicester game and we got to watch him go out with the teams from behind the away dug out. Just before the teams came out the subs appeared and Vardy was one of them. He sat right in front of me so I bellowed "Come On BRIGHTON" in his ear. He didn't even bat an eyelid :lolol:

My son really likes LCFC (from before their title season), but thinks of Vardy as a rat like little shit, he can’t stand him in Albion matches.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My son really likes LCFC (from before their title season), but thinks of Vardy as a rat like little shit, he can’t stand him in Albion matches.

He'd be genuinely horrible to play against. Pace combined with non-league nastiness, an indefatigable nature and very few brain cells. Centre back's worst nightmare.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Sky only really care about the Premier League top 6-8 clubs which drive their revenues, everyone other club is seen as a plucky competitor with the occasional lovefest for a club bucking the trend or over achieving i.e Leicester, Burnley, Bournemouth etc. I find the whole Premier League experience quite sterile and often boring and predictable, the journey to the PL is infinitely better than the destination itself. I feel that once you are in the PL you are trapped by the need to retain the huge uplift in income and avoid relegation at all costs. Being relegated from the top tier never seemed to be anything other than a temporary disappointment until the following season, now its seen as a club threatening disaster. I don't really know what the answer is but as in society the rich appear to be getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Languishing now in 16th and well and truly in the relegation mix I find myself somewhat unconcerned about whether we go down or not.

There is no point me replying at length. See above. Perfectly put.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He'd be genuinely horrible to play against. Pace combined with non-league nastiness, an indefatigable nature and very few brain cells. Centre back's worst nightmare.

His first thought after a goal appears spite towards opposing fans, rather than euphoria. Plus a John Terry like influence on LCFC sacking managers. Little cnt. Great forward though.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Brilliant.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

What a quality post.

Same here, I was far more desparate for us to stay up last year, for the club to get that vital second injection of £100m.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Not quite the same, but it was similar in our fantastic ride up the divisions to the old 1st Division in '79.
I can remember feeling thrilled that we had finally made the 'top grade', but from then on, rarely felt the excitement that I had felt when on the journey.
Nevertheless, I would be very disappointed for us to fall back into the Championship now.
Surely, the challenge for the whole club is to become a stalwart of the Prem; we'll never be a superstar team, but we must surely aim to stay in the middle mix for the future' and occasionally exceed this. Blimey, with all the dosh that T.B. has lobbed out on players and infrastructure, I bet he would be less than pleased to see us going down. What is the point of wonderful facilities, Dan Ashworth and all the other bells and whistles ,if we don't get more resilient and perform to our potential.
Relegation or not, aside, I am disappointed in our performance so far this season, as I am sure the management and Board are. I am not convinced Hughton is the man to establish ourselves in the topflight, but heyho, that is another topic. Some will agree and others will not.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not quite the same, but it was similar in our fantastic ride up the divisions to the old 1st Division in '79.
I can remember feeling thrilled that we had finally made the 'top grade', but from then on, rarely felt the excitement that I had felt when on the journey.
Nevertheless, I would be very disappointed for us to fall back into the Championship now.
Surely, the challenge for the whole club is to become a stalwart of the Prem; we'll never be a superstar team, but we must surely aim to stay in the middle mix for the future' and occasionally exceed this. Blimey, with all the dosh that T.B. has lobbed out on players and infrastructure, I bet he would be less than pleased to see us going down. What is the point of wonderful facilities, Dan Ashworth and all the other bells and whistles ,if we don't get a bit tougher as a club and play to our potential.
Relegation or not, aside, I am disappointed in our performance this season, as I am sure the management and Board are. I am not convinced Hughton is the man to establish ourselves in the topflight, but heyho, that is another topic. Some will agree and others will not.

Good post.

CH and the players have just 2 and a half months left to give the club all the opportunities you mention.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The Premier league is where to be but unfortunately it comes at a price. You don't win often or score much. Fighting just to stay up it all comes a bit predictable and dull.

I've renewed again only because i was talked into it. I'm going off owing a season ticket and having that commitment of attending all home games.

It's football as a whole i'm losing interest. I'm getting bored of it.

I'm happy just to listen to it on the radio at home. Don't have Sky and i hardly ever watch other games or MOTD.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Premier league is where to be but unfortunately it comes at a price. You don't win often or score much. Fighting just to stay up it all comes a bit predictable and dull.

I've renewed again only because i was talked into it. I'm going off owing a season ticket and having that commitment of attending all home games.

I'm happy just to listen to it on the radio at home. Don't have Sky and i hardly ever watch other games or MOTD.

I so rarely watch MOTD (rushed crap on games, followed by a patronising narrative by the BBC leeches). Despite having Sky, I swerved yesterdays matches ... all hype, no regrets today.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Very understandable.
My own 'Peak Albion' was back in ancient history times........Wardy, Spider, Nobby, Sully etc.
Perhaps that is the way it goes for some of us. Back in the day, a loss would often mean a ruined weekend, but not now!
Is it an age thing?
Nevertheless,I am a great believer in life of always doing your best and aiming to realise one's full potential, whether this be on a personal level or even as a pro football club!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here