Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Championship is Brilliant

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very understandable.
My own 'Peak Albion' was back in ancient history times........Wardy, Spider, Nobby, Sully etc.
Perhaps that is the way it goes for some of us. Back in the day, a loss would often mean a ruined weekend, but not now!
Is it an age thing?
Nevertheless,I am a great believer in life of always doing your best and aiming to realise one's full potential, whether this be on a personal level or even as a pro football club!

That was my peak too, huge terraced crowds packed into the Goldstone, beautiful days. The CH Championship years matched it for me, but it was far more tense, as I was well aware of the financial need to go up in 2017 for Tony Bloom. Absolutely no one talked about club finances in 1976 to 1979.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have to say I loved the Championship. We used to win a lot, too!

The PL is the stage to be on, but for sheer footballing thrills and excitement (as a fan of BHAFC) the Championship was way more fun.

However, all that said, I'd rather we were in the PL.

Here you go. Fill your boots.

win4.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was my peak too, huge terraced crowds packed into the Goldstone, beautiful days. The CH Championship years matched it for me, but it was far more tense, as I was well aware of the financial need to go up in 2017 for Tony Bloom. Absolutely no one talked about club finances in 1976 to 1979.

And that turned out well.....:shrug:

For me, the best times are now, 'no plan B' notwithstanding.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And that turned out well.....:shrug:

For me, the best times are now, 'no plan B' notwithstanding.

I’m fine with now, whether we stay up or drop, I’ll take the positives.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t exactly say that witnessing fairly frequent poor home results is enjoyable, especially as I go for the football (I’m not into the boozing from plastic cups bit of match days). But live in hope that we will beat Hudd etc.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I’m lying in bed with NSC and Freeview after a big op. We’re falling to bits.

Oh dear; I hope your recover goes well.
Hopefully, I shall be up and about before too long, although I understand that one can feel knackered for some time afterwards.
Poor old buggers!:shootself:lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I do miss the atmosphere and drama of the Championship, it seems so real compared to the botox ridden falseness of the PL.
But the Albion have made it to the Billy bollox big boys league now, so let's stay there.......:wozza:

That's the thing, I would never want us to lose and go down, just as I never wanted us to lose and fail to come up .... but I've always known that promotion from the Championship was seeing us move into a less enjoyable and entertaining division.

I do like "botox ridden falseness of the PL" and will tell you now, I'm stealing that phrase. Sums it up very well, as I do feel that we are all wearing false unmovable smiles, pretending this is "the greatest League in the World" blah, blah. blah

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's the thing, I would never want us to lose and go down, just as I never wanted us to lose and fail to come up .... but I've always known that promotion from the Championship was seeing us move into a less enjoyable and entertaining division.

I do like "botox ridden falseness of the PL" and will tell you now, I'm stealing that phrase. Sums it up very well, as I do feel that we are all wearing false unmovable smiles, pretending this is "the greatest League in the World" blah, blah. blah

Summed up by the ref emphatically taking the matchday ball from the PL plinth pre match. Razzamatazz, we take the piss out of it. Often followed by shite fayre.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

My antidote to the 'botox syndrome' is to have one or two ordinary teams that I keep an interest in; Accrington Stanley being one.I clearly remember, as a lad, feeling sorry for them when they fell out the League in the early '60's and so to see them back after so long and doing well is great.
What a difference to the Prem. I still can't get my head around the obscene amounts of money earned by some, so I need a 'Stanley' to keep things real.
P.S.Love your botox reference!

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
As a mid size club we can’t stay up forever. We will very probably always be a non-top 7 club, so nothing is certain for the other 13 clubs. Even Newcastle, Villa and West Ham have tasted Championship football.

Hopefully we will stay up, but nothing is written in stone.

The PL is a funny old beast. Fans of clubs like Brighton and Palace take it on the chin that wins can be rare, losing streaks commonplace, goals hard to come by, and for us going into matches against City/Chelsea without a hope in hell. You soon get accustomed to all that, looking forward to those potentially winnable home games 2 months away. Was football always that way?

Sounds exactly like it was when I fell in love with the club. Mind you, we were scrapping in League 1 :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My antidote to the 'botox syndrome' is to have one or two ordinary teams that I keep an interest in; Accrington Stanley being one.I clearly remember, as a lad, feeling sorry for them when they fell out the League in the early '60's and so to see them back after so long and doing well is great.
What a difference to the Prem. I still can't get my head around the obscene amounts of money earned by some, so I need a 'Stanley' to keep things real.

I like Accrington Stanley too. Every season a miracle by their brilliant manager.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Excluding an ad hoc post promotion costs, we made a loss of £30m in 2016/17.

Shirley £45m of parachute money plus the sale of Dunk would prevent a “£38m loss” in 2019/20 if we dropped.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]’s input would be great as you say.

A benchmark might be the post relegation season accounts for sensible clubs such as Burnley and Norwich. Very similar to BHAFC in not buying a load of internationals like Wolves and Fulham on big wages.

I'd expect, having been in a meeting with a 'small' PL club recently (not the Albion or Palace) that relegation clauses would be greater than 20%.

Boro and Hull were both relegated in 2017 and have announced respective losses of £20m and £5m in 2018, Boro tried to 'smash the Championship' according to owner Steve Gibson and Hull went down the sell off route.

Reports on both below

http://priceoffootball.com/middlesbrough-2017-18-babylons-burning/

http://priceoffootball.com/hull-city-2018-eye-of-the-tiger/

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd expect, having been in a meeting with a 'small' PL club recently (not the Albion or Palace) that relegation clauses would be greater than 20%.

Boro and Hull were both relegated in 2017 and have announced respective losses of £20m and £5m in 2018, Boro tried to 'smash the Championship' according to owner Steve Gibson and Hull went down the sell off route.

Reports on both below

http://priceoffootball.com/middlesbrough-2017-18-babylons-burning/

http://priceoffootball.com/hull-city-2018-eye-of-the-tiger/

Cheers.
How much did Boro and Hull receive in season one parachute payments?

(Love it how you keep pinching info off that Price of Football fella).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cheers.
How much did Boro and Hull receive in season one parachute payments?

(Love it how you keep pinching info off that Price of Football fella).

Parachute payments are £41m in year 1, £34m in year 2 and £14m in year 3, although 'Boro don't get any in year 3 as they were relegated in first season in PL.

As an aside, if you take the first letter of each sentence of the 'Boro report...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I'm exactly the same, and regularly attend Ebbsfleet games down at Stonebridge Road. Truth is, that experience tends to remind me of why I fell in love with going to football, more than a "matchday experience" at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here