Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Championship is Brilliant

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
There's an absolutely stonking battle for automatic promotion heating up. Loads of talent, loads of drama, loads of goals and Norwich are playing some well sexshy football. Leeds only have one tactic and it's 'all out insanity'. Baggies still clinging on for dear life and have the quality to go the distance. Blades looking nigh on unbeatable at the moment.

Then you could make a reasonable top 6 case for anyone down to Preston (solid as a rock) and Villa (utter flair).

Tune in.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Always said the "best league in the World" nonsense that Sky perpetuate about the Premier League, in actually far more justifiable when talking about The Championship, which is regularly an absolutely fantastic League to watch and follow.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I work with a Leeds fan. Was very confident earlier in the season, now not so confident. Would love them to miss out again. However I think they have a decent run in after the next 2-3 games which are fairly tough.

Not seen a lot of Sheff Utd, but they seem to be scoring a lot of goals.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd like Sheff Utd and Brizzle to go up, just because they both have ex-Albion players as managers (and in the former's case because it would mightily piss off Massive)

I do miss the Championship, it's a fantastic league to watch

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Old hat for us and I hope it stays like that. :wink:

Indeed. People say "Oh I wouldn't mind us getting relegated, the Championship is more fun." Well it was when it was all shiny and new for us, but when we eventually get back into it the 'wrong way' it will more likely than not prove to be a frustrating grind. (As is often the case for relegated teams)

We WILL have a sense of entitlement and the feeling we should be beating the 'little' teams as we march towards promotion, and if we don't the atmosphere both on here and in the half-full ground will be toxic.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. People say "Oh I wouldn't mind us getting relegated, the Championship is more fun." Well it was when it was all shiny and new for us, but when we eventually get back into it the 'wrong way' it will more likely than not prove to be a frustrating grind. (As it often does for relegated teams)

We WILL have a sense of entitlement and the feeling we should be beating the 'little' teams as we march towards promotion, and if we don't the atmosphere both on here and in the half-full ground will be toxic.

As a mid size club we can’t stay up forever. We will very probably always be a non-top 7 club, so nothing is certain for the other 13 clubs. Even Newcastle, Villa and West Ham have tasted Championship football.

Hopefully we will stay up, but nothing is written in stone.

The PL is a funny old beast. Fans of clubs like Brighton and Palace take it on the chin that wins can be rare, losing streaks commonplace, goals hard to come by, and for us going into matches against City/Chelsea without a hope in hell. You soon get accustomed to all that, looking forward to those potentially winnable home games 2 months away. Was football always that way?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Then you could make a reasonable top 6 case for anyone down to Preston (solid as a rock) and Villa (utter flair).

Tune in.

Villa have won 1 game in their last 10, a scrappy 2-1 home win against rock bottom Ipswich, so I'm not so sure they're 'utter flair' at all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me, the only real dividend of staying up is the increased likelihood of a decent cup run. Get to the Prem in order to improve the squad. We'll never win the league, but a cup should never be beyond a club of this league stature.

The day we do what cost Claude Puel his job is the day we may as well pack it all in. To clarify, with Leicester safely in mid-table, he played a feeble side to Man City in the league cup and lost not with a whimper but when it should have been within their grasp. Then unforgivably did even worse at Newport in the cup. Now what do they have to look forward to? Sleep walking into a relegation battle albeit a bit too late to be taken seriously? With that squad? He deserved what he got.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Oliver Norwood going for his third consecutive promotion to the premier league, he will be hot property in the summer if Sheffield Utd come up

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Loved the Championship but happily avoid dropping back for a while. Enjoying the Prem League ride, even more so when we've got another 6 points on the bag soon.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I have to say I loved the Championship. We used to win a lot, too!

The PL is the stage to be on, but for sheer footballing thrills and excitement (as a fan of BHAFC) the Championship was way more fun.

However, all that said, I'd rather we were in the PL.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I hated the Championship. Found it too frustrating. Too many fixtures & disappointments - too competitive and difficult to escape it. The quality of football was too high to give the grass roots experience, but too low to really inspire awe like the Premier League.

That said, I loved the time we spent there at Withdean as underdogs... also our first season at Amex was great, but mainly because it was our first season... and of course there was Vicente.

I really hope we don't get relegated. It will potentially be years of frustration and disappointment again.
Well you must have hated the last couple of years when we were over one calendar year the most successful club in the country in terms of on the pitch form. And awe in the premier league? Please let me know what that looks like? The current leaders for example, won through a half dodgy penalty and scrapped and wasted time against the mighty Brighton. There hasn't been much in the way of awe.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I watched most of 3 games yesterday on Sky and by far the most entertaining game of the day was Luton v Coventry.
Two teams who were both going for it.
The other two games were terrible and if they are professional players in that Man Utd game they should hang there heads in shame as no one could pass a ball to save there lives

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Indeed. People say "Oh I wouldn't mind us getting relegated, the Championship is more fun." Well it was when it was all shiny and new for us, but when we eventually get back into it the 'wrong way' it will more likely than not prove to be a frustrating grind. (As is often the case for relegated teams)

Even worse if, like some clubs, the decline continues to League 1 :(

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There are many, many good things about the Championship and I won't shed a tear if we go down, so long as we keep Hughton who I think would get us back up again within two seasons.

However, that's not a view that chimes well with the owner's bank balance or the long term ambition of the club (or its facilities for that matter). We need to be PL, though as [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] correctly points out, that's far from a God given right.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Villa have won 1 game in their last 10, a scrappy 2-1 home win against rock bottom Ipswich, so I'm not so sure they're 'utter flair' at all.

FLAIR
[yt]FCq8eSxl4-o[/yt]

FLAIR
[yt]drtAt4-zATo[/yt]

FLAIR
[yt]4SbYcCSgcYw[/yt]

FLAIRFLAIRFLAIRFLAIRFLAIRFLAIRFLAIRFLAIR *flair machine explodes*
[yt]0W9S2jpygBA[/yt]

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well you must have hated the last couple of years when we were over one calendar year the most successful club in the country in terms of on the pitch form. And awe in the premier league? Please let me know what that looks like? The current leaders for example, won through a half dodgy penalty and scrapped and wasted time against the mighty Brighton. There hasn't been much in the way of awe.

From Jan 15 to April 17, I witnessed so many home wins, countless goals, brilliant counter attacking football, the destruction of teams such as Derby, Leeds and Norwich. Thank you CH.

My favourite time to be an Albion fan, along with Mullery up to May 79.

Great memories.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here